Sign in to follow this  
DukeDevil91

Zoom Salty Super Flukes

Anyone had any success with these on rivers or ponds before? If so what colors did you use and how did you fish it.

Any information is greatly appreciated. I usually fish saltwater and I'm pretty good at it but when it comes to bass I'm like a 1 year old learning to walk. I've only caught 4 bass in my life and look forward to upping my skills with tips from this forum. ;)

used them all the time. weightless

white seems to work best for me.

fishing for smallies in rivers pink also works good for me.

I like to fish them on spinning rods. 8lb line weightless

through it out and jerk it back. I like to keep it just under the surface letting it sink a couple feet every 2 or 3 jerks

In running water, such as when fishing at a dam, I put them on a 1/4 oz. jig head and after the cast, I let the water carry my line out a little bit more.  Since most dams are rocky, I twitch the rod tip occasionally to keep it from getting stuck in the rocks.

The colors green and white have proved effective for me.  Also, if you can get the jig heads with a fish head, instead of just the lead ball, I think you'll have better results.  At least, for me, I do.

I have found that much like a senko, color is pretty irrelevant with these.  I have similar success regardless of color.  Sometimes, I think some baits have such an irresistable action, that the action is driving the strike, regardless of color this is one of those baits (strictly my opinion folks)  I always liked the Arkansas shiner color but last year, I used only colors I could plainly see for the entire retrieve and had alot more FUN with them, which is what it's all about right?  

Best way to fish it IMO is weightless but there are some pretty trick ways to use these.  The double-fluke rig comes to mind. 

FYI- the strike king version (called the zero?) is made of 3x plastic and lasts MUCH longer before tearing at the nose.  A drop of super glue on the nose and you can go all day on 2 or 3 baits.  Certainly not knocking the yum product, love those too, the 3x just last longer.  Same animal essentially but the 3x is more bouyant and doesn't sink like a yum.  Sometimes this is good, sometimes bad, adjust to what you are trying to accomplish.

Good in clear to lightly stained water. I like to work them erratically across the surface.......

The super fluke is a killer here in my neck of the woods(Va.). I only use 2 colors(though I've probably used them all at one point). Pearl and silver rainbow are my top choices. I begin using these baits in the latter stages of the pre-spawn, and keep fishing them till late fall. I fish them weightless and keep'em moving along at a pretty fast clip, rarely pausing for more than a couple seconds. This however, is not nearly the only effective way. These baits are extremely versatile, and I've caught fish on all kinds of different retrieves. One thing in particular that I love about soft plastic jerkbaits is how they catch really big fish, along with numbers. I recommend trying all suggested tips you get from this thread and see which ones produce best for you on your waters. Good luck!

the zoom super fluke is a very versatile bait.you can rig it in many different ways depending on the cover and depth you want to use it.it is a bass catcher in any season.color is your preference.i keep changing untill i find a color they want.i like baby bass in post spawn and fall.arkansaw shiner in the summer,and shad variations in spawn and clear water,and chartruese,bubblegum,and bright colors in stained waters.in most situations i use a swivel about 18'' long to help w/ spinning and line twist.also use a 4/0 wide gap hook.personally i dont like the 3x flukes they tend to bunch up on hookset and i miss too many fish useing them so i stay w/ zoom or bass assassin

Flukes are something I gotta get better at fishing.

I never seem to have much success with them although this past year I did catch a few fish when putting them on a chatterbait head.

Anyone had any success with these on rivers or ponds before? If so what colors did you use and how did you fish it.

No river experience, but plenty on ponds and lakes. Like a previous poster, color isn't a big deal to me, a wide range of colors has worked, from light to dark and in between.

I use a twitch-pause-twitch type of retrieve over vegetation or other shallow cover. With surface weeds, like lily pads, I like to bring them over, around and through the vegetation, letting them sink into holes or at the edges. You can also walk the dog with them on the surface.

Other brands work well too. In my experience, Flukes and Bass Assassins seem to produce about equally.

Be a line-watcher. Most of my strikes are detected by my seeing the line moving off to the side.

Great baits. They seem to trigger all aggressive fish. In waters where there are pickerel, they will all but shove the bass aside to get to these.  ;)

These are some good lures. I use them weightless especially around weed lines. My personal prefrence is white with a red hook. have had good sucess with these in the past. I will also keep one tied on an extra rod anytime I am throwing a buzzbait. Alot of times I will have a blowup on the spinnerbait i will immediatly switch rods and throw the fluke to where i had the blow up. This tactic worked well this past summer.

I've caught a bunch of bass on them.  Best colors are smokin' shad, baby bass, watermelon pro blue and watermelon red, but like Marty and LBH said, color isn't that big of a factor.

They are very productive where I fish too. For me white pearl works better than anyother color, I fish them weightless 90 % of the time, spinning gear with Power Pro 15 lbs and P-line laeder 10-15 lbs according to cover.

i konw the double rig (mentioned a couple of threads below) is good for schooiling fish, but what about spawning fish?  just curious cause the rig sounds fun for this stuff.

My fave color is watermelon seed. I throw them ALOT in prespawn and postspawn. When fishing spawning fish, I stick with bottom bouncers. The fluke is better high in the water column, though I bolleeve I may try them on a chatterbait head this year. :;)

So it sounds like a twitch..twitch...pause works the best. Does it matter if you let it sink to the bottom during the pause or will the bass just hit it on the way down?

Zoom Super Fluke - 5" White Ice

Fished unweighted & inverted on 4/0 Gamakatsu.

Roger

I usually fish it in an aggressive fashion. Trying to twitch it just right to make it go side to side perfectly. If you get good at it, you can use it as a topwater, a slow twitch bait, you can even make them jump out of the water. They do all sorts of cool things. But mainly, i fish them shallow enough where i can see the bait during the retrieve. Let is sink every now and then, but i usually dont fish them on the bottom, although slow jerking a fluke is a good technique to learn