Sign in to follow this  
tennwalkinghorse

Hook Sharping Methods and Tools

I would like to find out what method and tools are used by most people to sharpen ther hooks. How do you feel about this subject all input welcome.

I buy my hooks in bulk at the beginning of each year and replace the dull and rusty ones as needed.

Best method and the only one I use: buy new hooks.

Today's ultra sharp hooks, most high-end hooks, are chemically sharpened. Some have a "broadhead" design which cannot be sharpened. More generally, sharpening modern hooks compromises their physical integrity. The hook(s) is the most important piece of equipment we use to fish. Save money elswhere, don't skimp on hooks.

8-)

I have an entire 3700 box filled with brand new hooks. I can't wait for a hook to get a little dull, so I can REPLACE it!   8-)

Ronnie

Sharpen a hook!

Why!

Not even on spinner baits  :)

Best method and the only one I use: buy new hooks.

Today's ultra sharp hooks, most high-end hooks, are chemically sharpened. Some have a "broadhead" design which cannot be sharpened. More generally, sharpening modern hooks compromises their physical integrity. The hook(s) is the most important piece of equipment we use to fish. Save money elswhere, don't skimp on hooks.

8-)

Agree 100%

On a spinnerbait Ill use a fingernail file.

Ive been throwing the same Gamatsu(sp?) hook for about 5 weeks now on my worm rod and its still dangerous to the touch.

I use a diamond sharpener on spinnerbaits  and crankbaits BUT if i cant get it sharp its better to replace um cheap and at least u cant blame a hook for not stickin a biggun if u buy brand new high quality hooks

The only hooks I'll sharpen are on jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits

Like Alpster, I have enough hooks that I don't sharpen. RW, as usual, has it right. Don't scrimp on hooks

I use a file to sharpen jigs, lures, spinners, and crankbaits.  On worm hooks I will replace them.  I usually bend them or loose them before they go dull.

I agree with changing hooks, however this is not an option on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. On them I use a diamond sharpener. I make my own jigs and just replace them if bent or dull..........Al