Sign in to follow this  
Redlinerobert

LOVE this car. 1961 Mercedes SL. Tuned by RennTech. Mods by HR & CS

Over the last 100 years, Mercedes Benz has been responsible for designing arguably some of the most beautiful cars ever built. Sadly, most of these early examples have faded away or fell victim to the ravages of time; leaving but a handful of road going examples. So what did Hot Rods and Custom Stuff, located in Escondido, California do when a client asked for a fully custom vehicle that featured the design of a 50 year old MB classic with current MB technology? Their interpretation created something truly special.

The creators of the Mercedes-Bent, as the project was dubbed, strategically lengthened and widened a 1961 190SL body to fit over the platform and running gear of a 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL600 with a 6.0L twin turbo V-12 power plant. The result is this stunning vehicle which boasted old world charm, with all the new school bells and whistles.

The talented team at Hot Rods and Custom Stuff then came to RENNtech to give their modern classic stunning performance to match it looks. With that, nothing was left on the table and RENNtech provided our full line of performance tuning parts for their build. This included our carbon fiber air boxes and engine cover, ECU tuning upgrade, TCU upgrade, suspension lowering module, upgraded intercooler pump, RENNtech big brake kit 3 with 8 piston front calipers and 4 piston rears, RENNtech camber and toe suspension links and a 100% locking rear differential.

The Mercedes Bent proved to be one of the most touted cars to stroll onto the 2010 SEMA floor, winning the Mothers Choice Award for Excellence in Automotive Design.

Check out pictures of the Mercedes Bent in the Renntech photo gallery.

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/media_gallery.php?albumid=5537279439427135201

Also, head over to Hot Rods and Custom Stuff for more project photos:

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/projects/mercedes-bent-1961-190-sl.html

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Very very nice.

I had a collection of "pagoda tops", no 190's but I had 250sl, a couple of 280's and a 65 Porsche.

My 250 was one of 50 made ( did not make it more valuable ), California Roadster came with no soft top just a removable hardtop.  A soft top was installed at a later date but due to original construction the top would not totally recede into well, so I had a leather boot made.  The wheels are not standard MB with the MB rim covers with logo, but MB wire wheels and knockoffs, illegal on US roads.

post-18023-130162966716_thumb.jpeg

You are not going to believe me but I like the car original, not tuned. Magnificent restoration job I might add.

You are not going to believe me but I like the car original, not tuned. Magnificent restoration job I might add.

I believe you.  There is something to be said about originality.

You are not going to believe me but I like the car original, not tuned.

Nothing wrong with that!  Some cars are better candidates for "original restos."  My BIL had a 67 Regal Gran Sport that was one such car.  Took several years to source parts, but totally worth it - beautiful car.  His 65 Le Mans "poser GTO" on the other hand has a totally modern drive train, suspension and brakes.  That car is actually really fun to drive, because you can actually drive it hard, and not have to worry about stopping!

Thanks Redline.........I loved that car, 0-60 I could walk faster, no performance parts were made for those MB's, different case for Porsche. Car required little maintenance and was very dependable, had a ball with it.  Knew of a guy who had a 280sl, we shared the same German mechanic so I saw the car often, built back up from the lugs with about $120,000, but still only worth around 25k then, lol. Being from Detroit I had my muscle cars too.

X2, but only in my dreams!!!  :D

I love the car, but not the rims and tire combo.