Sign in to follow this  
Bream Master

muskie/pike: northern species only?

They are a cold water fish. I dont know if you would find them any further south than Virginia.

Warm water tends to up the mortality rates on these fish.

In WNC there are Walleye in some of the rivers that drain into the Tenn. and some of the lakes in the TVA system. There are some sauger in the French Broad and Muskie above Asheville. There are Muskie and Walleye in the Little T. and Tuckaseege above Fontana lake. There are Walleye that run the Hiwassee at Murphy. They come out of Hiwassee lake.

You might want to check out "North Carolina River Fishing" <http://americanriverfishing.com/northcarolina/NCindex1.htm>. There is as much water west of Asheville as in the rest of the State.

You are about 1 1/2 hours from Asheville.

There are Smallmouth in all of these rivers. They are all relatively cold some holding Trout, even Sauger, I hear. These fisheries have improved as the water has been cleaned up.

No need to go North. :)

Bream Master, I just went to the NC Wildlife Resources Fishing Reg. site and they give you a lot of information on these and other species.  Record catches for example tells you where the big ones have been caught, so there are hopefully a few more out there.  Catch limits tell you which lakes have them and they will be running soon!  ;)

For Muskellunge, the southern-most fishery I'm aware of is Cave Run Lake, KY and Green River, KY

Muskies are also found in Dale Hollow Res, Tennessee, but are mostly caught by accident.

Northern Pike are even tougher, they've been stocked as far south as Tennessee and northern Georgia

but no viable fishery has resulted. Pike have also been stocked in Kentucky but are caught infrequently.

New York is the southern-most pike fishery that I know, but there may be some other southerly pockets.

Roger

Muskie were inadvertantly introduced into the Spring River in Arkansas where they have found a suitable habitat to thrive. The prerequisites appear to be a consistant, year-around flow of cold water and an abundant supply of forage, primarily rainbow trout.

NC fishing records listed by the NC Wildlife Resources Commission

Species  Weight Location  Date  Angler  Lure/Bait   Photo

longnose gar 19 lbs 10½ oz Rock Quarry Lakes 6/29/06 Sebastian Lankiewicz Rapala crankbait  

bowfin 17 lbs 15 oz Black River 6/21/97 Gregory A. Demery, Sr. Cut bait bream  

carp 48 lbs Mecklenburg Co. pond 3/11/86 William Houston, Jr. Unknown  

crappie 4 lbs 15 oz Asheboro City Lake #4 4/27/80 Dean Dixon Minnow  

freshwater drum   22 lbs   Kerr Lake  11/27/06 Daniel Stotts Minnow  

grass carp 68 lbs 12 oz Summerlins Pond, Leland 6/8/98 David W. Stowell Rebel Pop R  

kokanee salmon 9. 2 oz  Nantahala Lake  9/7/06 Tony Robinson fin-tail spoon  

longnose gar 19 lbs 8 oz Roanoke River 4/16/06 James Thomas Bryant Green bucktail  

muskellunge 41 lbs 8 oz Lake Adger  1/23/01 Richard W. Dodd Big Mack  

tiger muskellunge  33 lbs 8 oz Lake James  4/3/88 Gary Dean Nanney Buzzbait  

northern pike 11 lbs 13 oz Lake James  8/26/78 Keith Gilliam Storm Wiggle Wart  

sauger 5 lbs 15 oz Norman Lake 7/25/71 David Shook Topwater Rapala  

smallmouth buffalo 88 lbs  Lake Wylie 11/14/93 Tony Crawford Pack bait  

walleye 13 lbs 8 oz Lake Chatuge (Shooting Cr.) 8/16/86 Lamar L. Cofer Old faithful spoon

NCWRC website: <http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_03_fishing.htm>

Through its Table Rock State Fish Hatchery in Burke County, the Commission stocks muskellunge in the French Broad, Nolichucky and New rivers as well as Lake Adger, an impoundment on the Green River. Anglers can sometimes catch muskellunge in unstocked reservoirs, such as Fontana and Hiwassee.

Also Walleye <http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_03_fishing.htm>

Native to Canada and the northern United States, walleye have been stocked in most states except a few in the far west and south. In North Carolina, the Commission has stocked walleye in mountain and Piedmont reservoirs. Walleye prefer clear, cool water and usually stay in deep water during the day, moving to shallow waters at night.

A listing of all NC Sport Fish <http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_03_fishing.htm>

"New York is the southern-most pike fishery that I know, but there may be some other southerly pockets. "

think a little south. Almost every lake I know of in Pa, has Northern Pike and/or Muskies

I also know many lakes in ohio, wva and maryland that have pike & muskie.

Not every lake/river that has muskie have northern pike, and  the other way around, Muskies and Pike like different water. If you have never fished for them and never caught one you are missing out. They are fun. I will say I have caught about 100 pike for every Muskie I have caught

In addition to the NC Wildlife Resource information posted above you can go to this link and I'd like to know if you have seen musky any larger than the ones that Bill Lyday is pictured with?

You will pull up a vidio loop that will cycle to the musky shot in a couple of minutes, be patient, it's worth the wait.

<http://seris.info/RiverLink/main.shtml>

I haven't fished for them myself but I intend to, the first chance that I get. ;)

Good information Water Dog! I think the link is broken on the video though....  :(

Thanks, 'Troutfisher'. I can't get it to work either. Works fine on my favorites. I have tried several different ways to make this thing work because I wanted you to see 'ole Bill's fish.

I Googled: River Link, Asheville and got the address below. It won't work either here. You have to

Copy and paste it in your browser window. When River Link comes up, look for the "watershed overview tab" and tap on it, A window will come up showing you the French Broad making its way to the Gulf of Mexico, via the Tenn. River, etc.

At this point tap 'enter' and 'ole Bill and his fish will come up along with a loop on the history of the river, river shots, etc.

There are musky in the French Broad, sizeable ones at that. Let me know if you figure it out.

I guess Bream Master forgot about his post.

http://216.55.154.115/default.asp

Ok, thanks....there is some very interesting information on there!  ;)

Fishing opportunities have really increased in WNC since the water has been cleaned up.   :)  We used to send you all down there in Tn a lot of bad water.  Our fishing has greatly improved in recent years and yours should have also.   :)

We had one stream, the Pigeon River, that was so polluted from Canton's paper mill that it was illegal to allow your cattle to drink from it in Haywood Co., NC.  The level of pollutants has decreased to the point that DENR advises that fish taken from the river are safe to eat now.  

Things are looking up in WNC   :)   which should bode well for everyone downstream.