Sign in to follow this  
alabamabassmaster

Finding big Bass...

I would like to ask others how they find big bass during a tourney. Other than your personal "holes", how do you find big fish in a tourney, mainly in new water?

The last two tourneys I have caught over 30 fish but nothing over 2 lbs, I've pre-fished and caught the same. We can't seem to find big bass, what do you guys do to find big fish in new water?

Were these tourneys in 'bama? Where in the season are you? Pre-summer, summer? Surface temps?

From Lake Demopolis to Jones Bluff Reservoir to Millers Ferry Reservoir. All of the lakes/reservoirs in South Alabama.

Right now we're starting summer, days average 90', the water temp is about 85-90'.

Underwater islands, mounds, or humps are especially productive when power is being generated at the dam, causing a current in the reservoir. Bait fish will gather on the upper end of these mounds and the bass will bunch up to feed on them. When located near a creek or river these areas can be your big bass hole.

Outside bends of a river or creek are common hangouts for deep water bass. Because of the water flow in the river or creek a ridge has been formed on the outside of the bend; find the point of these ridges.

Spots where two creeks intersect or where a feeder creek intersects with the main river are areas experienced deep water anglers seeks; inside the Y created by the intersection is where you want to be.

Shade around piers and boat houses attract bass and baitfish. Shade always displays much cooler water and shade can also be found in creek backwaters, along deep shady, main lake banks, small cuts and pockets, rock bluffs and especially places featuring overhanging trees and bushes, during the middle of the day when bass seek out the comfort and security of shade.

Bama Bassmaster,

I usualy find them at the weigh-ins when the other guys bring in their fish for weigh-in.  ;D

So you want to find the mother load of big bass. Well, so do we all.

I will admit that the top five large ones I have caught have been surprises to me as I was fishing for any bite I could muster.  Two on a black buzzbait; others on grubs and finesse worms. 7 pounds was the largest.

So how do you find those 10 pound plus lunkers?  Learn what they are eating and where they are living.

Easy said - hard to do. But here are some suggestions.

1. Use large baits and live baits.  Like 10 to 12 inch worms; large spinnerbaits; big topwater prsentations.  Fish oversize lures. Try large minnows and shiners.  Big jig and pigs, too.  

2.  Fish on weekdays or in foul weather with low fishing pressure.

3.  Be quiet.  Very, very quiet. Turn off trolling motor as they can hear you or run it constantly on low.  Studies have shown the big bass will hide when they hear a trolling motor.

4. Be patient. Very patient.

5. Fish deep. 6 to 8 feet and down to 15 feet.

6. Know where they live. They grew large due to their instincts and they have favorite places to rest and use as ambush points. They are also lazy and do not want to move very far for a nice, big meal.

7. Avoid cold fronts; fish early AM before sun starts to rise and into early AM; during dusk and at night.  Warming conditions are also helpful.

8.  Fish in the winter and early spring, like the first four months of the year  and when they are in post spawn.  Usually, after they spawn it is hard to catch them. Remember, they have to eat in the winter so they are looking for a nice, easy and big meal that will hold them for up to two weeks without eating.

May I also suggest discussing your large lunker adventure with your state's department of game and inland marine?  Some of the conservation officers know of bodies of water that hold large bass and you can fish those, like Birery Creek in Virginia.

Good luck and be sure to send us those picutures of the lunkers you catch or the mental hospital you will be put in when they drive you over the edge!!!  ;D   ;D   ;D

Sorry.  I meant pre spawn, not post spawn.

Well I found out the other day that two guys that won the last tourney had 23lbs of spotted bass they caught off a point. Just south of the dam there is a channel that the power house is on. When they started to generate water, they fished this point and had 23lbs to take home the money.

I however can't get this luck, I can't seem to find anything over 4lbs. and when I do it's only one. I had one 4.5 lb largemouth the last time I went searching for a nice hole. I couldn't find anything else after that fish that was even close. I did just get my new Mattlures Baby Bass Swimbait in LMB so maybe this will help me get a big one.

post-9437-130162975604_thumb.jpg

Keep trying.

If you are a Bama fan, wear all Auburn stuff when you go out.

If you are an Auburn fan, wear all Alabama stuff when you go out.

If you wear an LSU hat you will catch the big ones.   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Now, with that said and out of the way, have you used your electronics to find any holes or humps or road beds in the area? Any places that the flowing water forms a nice quiet eddy where they can sit and ambush prey?

Do you have a topo map of the lake showing road beds, humps, drop offs, etc.?  If not, get one and study the area.

If those guys can catch those bass then there is no reason you cannot do the same.  But you will have to study the area to find the most productive structure on the bottom.

What lures and presentations were they using and their techniques?  Swimbaits? Senkos?  Finesse worms? Treble hook baits?  Swimming worms?  Topwaters?  Flukes?  Creature baits fished on Carolina rigs?

Maybe the big bass want bigger baits, like 10 to 12 inch worms or big fat jigs and pigs or big deep diving crankbaits or large lizzards?

So you can see that whatever they have found seemed to work that day and you will have to try to discover what works and under what conditions.

It looks like the bass get active when the water is flowing so that is one clue. Now to decide how deep to fish (sinker weight) and line test (10, 12, 17+) and bait selection will all have an impact on your results.

But the fun is in the experimentation.

And remember, football season is a little over a month away!  ;)

Good luck and keep trying.

Ohh man those are easy to find. Any fishing section should have bass jigs, the lead heads with rubber skirts and a weed guard? And the Pig part is a piece of pork rind or plastic "Chunk"

the point you showed should be a good bet to get you a biggun.ditch the swimbait for the most part.not sayin its not a good bait but use it only in certain situations.a 1/2 oz-3/4 oz football head jig w/ a beefy craw trailer and /or a 10'' power worm on a c-rig.dont give up on the point.bass will stage on it thru out the day.search for the sweet spot.set up on it at different angles untill you find the right way to fish it .be persistent,if you know others that have caught big fish off the spot then you just need to figure out how to get em to bite.

Underwater islands, mounds, or humps are especially productive when power is being generated at the dam, causing a current in the reservoir. Bait fish will gather on the upper end of these mounds and the bass will bunch up to feed on them. When located near a creek or river these areas can be your big bass hole.

Outside bends of a river or creek are common hangouts for deep water bass. Because of the water flow in the river or creek a ridge has been formed on the outside of the bend; find the point of these ridges.

Spots where two creeks intersect or where a feeder creek intersects with the main river are areas experienced deep water anglers seeks; inside the “Y” created by the intersection is where you want to be.

Shade around piers and boat houses attract bass and baitfish. Shade always displays much cooler water and shade can also be found in creek backwaters, along deep shady, main lake banks, small cuts and pockets, rock bluffs and especially places featuring overhanging trees and bushes, during the middle of the day when bass seek out the comfort and security of shade.

Hmm...

Catt might be on to something... ::)

8-)

Ohh man those are easy to find. Any fishing section should have bass jigs, the lead heads with rubber skirts and a weed guard? And the Pig part is a piece of pork rind or plastic "Chunk"

Oh! I thought "Jig & Pig" was a brand or something LOL! I use a custom made jig with a netbait baby craw as a trailer.

I am a young gun but to find big bass you can find them in the most unlikely places. If the water is in the upper 60 lower 70. Stay around the boat dock look for schools of brim. Usually a monster bass in underneath them. If the water hits the 80's and up. Drop offs. Find brush piles,rocks,humps any structure in over 15 feet of water. Lures big worm,deep diving crank bait,jig,shakey head, or a dropshot.

I am a young gun but to find big bass you can find them in the most unlikely places. If the water is in the upper 60 lower 70. Stay around the boat dock look for schools of brim. Usually a monster bass in underneath them. If the water hits the 80's and up. Drop offs. Find brush piles,rocks,humps any structure in over 15 feet of water. Lures big worm,deep diving crank bait,jig,shakey head, or a dropshot.

+1

It really depends on the time of year. In the late winter into early spring you can bet the ranch that your bigger fish will be relating 100% to the shad. Thats how they eat all winter, they follow the shad around. Once spring hits, the craws come out and the bass move shallower to begin the spawning process. This is a good time to find them on main lake points, feeding on craws, waiting for the water to warm up. Then they move onto the spawning flats and after the spawn, they do a 180 and head back the other way

Once summer hits, you're better off to find some stuff offshore in deeper water. Sure you can catch 2 pounders all day long on docks and generally in a shallow mode but to get to the bigger fish, I'm a firm believer that you must fish deeper water. Break the ties with fishing the banks, get out deep and find stuff to fish. Fishing deep water intimidates a lot of people because its unfamiliar territory but you have to at least make an effort to learn deep water.

Once fall rolls around, its back to the shad. Find the shad and the bass should be somewhere close by. They know winter is coming and they feed heavily on shad in the fall and all thru the winter.