Sign in to follow this  
J Francho

Interesting day....Good ending :)

Met up with our club president, Mitch, 8:00 AM this morning to mainly make sure his boat as in tip top shpae for our trip to SML in VA in less than two weeks, and maybe to get some fishing in.

We get to the lake, and the "5-15" mph winds are really about 25-30 mph blasting non stop from the north, in a North-south lake. We get the boat launched, I park the truck, and hop in. The wind is blasting so hard, the TM is having trouble keeping her moving in a straight heading.

We were able to get out into open water, and Mitch turns the key. The motor is cranking, but it isn't catching at all. Then the worst happens - cranking battery dies. I jump on the bow and man the TM, while Mitch takes a look at the batts. Then we see KaseV, kittasou, and bassguy9 in Cam's boat trolling toward the launch. They get closer, and Cam asks for a jump! LOL, yeah right, we're dead in the water too.

Mitch is all disappointed because the motor turned over on the 1st crank in his driveway, and he was really looking forward to fishing with me (he didn't draw me last year). We try to fish around the ramp, but the wind is just wayyyyy too much. Our only hope was to get to the somewhat shielded north end. Fat chance, now we have to figure out how to get the boat on the trailer with nothing but the TM and a hard blowing wind at the port side when retrieving!

Mitch was a stud with the TM, and I only got one foot wet, making a running leap from the bow to the shore, LOL. Got the truck, and Mitch perfectly slipped the boat on the trailer. Had to make a minor adjustment before cranking her up, but it was relatively painless.

So, boats on the trailer, we're all strapped in, and its only 10:00 AM - nice trip!!! That's OK. I knew there would be some drama, as I've owned a boat, and the first dunk never goes without issue, LOL.

So, we got back to our meeting point, and called it a day. I decided to make the most of what was left of the morning to hit a few ponds.

Got to Pond B and broke out the crankbaits, and started casting. There three teenagers crappie fishing, but not catching anything. After about 10 minutes, with the wind howling, they left. I tried calling Kase since he lives right around the corner, but my phone was dead.

Make a few more casts, and catch a dink. This fish ate the darn crank fully. About ten more casts, and another fish, a little better, but still a dink at about 15".

I start moving down the bank, to cast at a narrow angle to the shoreline into the wind, and after a couple casts to a "highly productive structure" I feel a "GLUMP" and then a head shake. Nice and easy pressure, and Woa! This is a decent fish!

I got it in, and again, this was obviously a case of giving the fish what they wanted, LOL.

510163258_JmFV5-XL.jpg

I got the fish unbuttoned, and weighed, a nice 4-8. Best fish of the year. I'll change my avatar soon :)

510164271_dR6Sh-XL.jpg

So, all's well that ends well!

And, oh BTW: I get home, and Mitch left a message.  Boat started right up in his driveway, LOL.

That bass really wanted that crankbait  :o   Nice Fish!

Thanks.

Open wide and say "ahhhhh!"  Look at the mouth on that bass!  Nice catch!  How big was it?

With regards to the boat problem, it sounds like that's what the trip was for-to iron out the kinks.  So, in that respect, its purpose was served.  Bad battery?  Bad gas and weak battery?  Hope it was resolved quickly.

4-8 :)

That was the real purpose of the trip.  I think the cranking batt is shot.  We only got about 20 cranks before she died.  Now, for why the thing turns over on the 1st crank in his driveway is another issue, LOL.

Great story, nice fish!

8-)

Calling a 15 inch fish a dink is something I'd love to do someday.   8-)

Great fish!

Nice fish. Love the prespawn.

"highly productive structure"

Care to elaborate? Lemme guess...A donut hole??

Is that your tackle box behind the fish in the second pic?

Thanks guys!

T-Rig: Duo Slaver Crank SR55.  Wish I knew the color name, because I need to find a few more of these.  In tannin stained water, it transforms into nice warm bronze with red highlights and a touch of blue.  It has a tight wiggle with wickedly good deflections, despite that tiny bill.

Paul, I think you know where this is, and when the wind creates current, you get a miniature creek channel environment.  Trout guys will understand the term tailout here.  Yes, that shed is my tackle box.

Troutfisher, keep reading, and keep applying what you learn to it - you'll have a 20"er eventually.

FF15, Mitch's boat is an ongoing drama about keeping his showroom condition '87 Ranger "all original."  He needs to give up the goose, and repower, LOL.  He actually came in second + lunker bonus last year on Cayuga, with TM power only, LOL.

J, that is an awesome fish.

I have yet to catch anything worthwhile this year but when I do, I hope it eats my bait like that one did!

Good Job!

Nice-looking fish, J.    :)

Thanks gents.  I stuck two more in the 30 minutes or so after lunch today.  Same thing, in fact, i had a hard time getting the hooks out of one.  I had to go through the gill, and sacrifice my pinky to get the hook out.  All in the name of C&R, LOL.  All i got was a tiny poke from the barb, though no big deal. :)

Very nice fish!  8-)

Is that a Duo SR Crank?

I believe I located the color - Ghost Ayu.  Sounds right?