Sign in to follow this  
Crazybait

Ledge holding fish - how to attack?

There is a ledge in this cove I fish regularly.  We have placed trees on the edge of this ledge and towards the bank.  Ledge is about 50 yards off shore in 11-12' of water, dropping to 17-18' of water.  There are fish right on the ledge and suspended over it.  Water temps this weekend were about 51 degrees.   Farther back in the cove near som rip rap, the ledge is shallower from about 7' dropping to about 11'.

This ledge has over it the entire length of the cove.  What is the best way to attack it?

I would focus first on the break from 7 to 11 feet.

That failing, I'd concentrate on the break from 11 to 17 feet.

Barring some unusual feature, I'd probably ignore everything in between.

Roger

If the water has good visibility, I would start with suspending jerkbaits.  Standard Pointers and then Staysee's that run deeper.  Next I would slow roll a 1/2 oz. or 3/4 oz. - depending on how deep -  single colorado spinnerbait along the ledge.  Next I would drag a Crigged plastic or drop shot plastic around the ledge.

Good luck!

Brad

Brad_Coovert,

I just ordered some 3/4 oz, single willow blade, Ledgebusters for this specific application. This type of structure, deep and away from the bank, is one of my favorite situations. Besides the lures you mentioned, I would add Gitzits to your list, especially the Micro Munch Tackle El Gordo (Black Neon) for largemouth or the Mizmo 3 1/2" tube (Kent's Classic (baby diaper yellow)) for smallmouth.

Back to "How to attack"

I would fish the ledge parallel above, then below the drop. I would then move out and fish the ledge bringing the lure over the drop and letting it fall. Regardless of how successful you are at any particular time, I would fish this structure regularly.

Pueblo reservoir here in Colorado has MANY of the ledges you describe. We have caught a ton of Smallies off the ledges on a 3in tube. Drag the tube slowly...........I would also hop on the jerkbait bite as well..........

Heck with water that warm you have many choices.  A regular crankbait might just be dynamite.  In the shallower water a 200 or 300 Bandit is where I would start.  In the deeper water use a 400.  Suspending jerkbaits may also work well, but if you do not have to work that hard, why do it?  If these fish are active, they will rise to a bait.  Tubes and jigs might be dandy if the fish are less active.  You really are not too limited in water that warm.

I forgot to add, try fishing the ledge from shallow to deep, and also from deep to shallow.  If the ledge is long enough and you find the sweet spot, you might run right down it fishing parallel to it.  I would be careful however if I was going to fish this multiple days in a row.  You might spook the fish running right over the top of them with the boat.

I second what RW said about paralelling the drop.This is the best way to find the sweat spots.

I also second the suspending jerkbait,tube,and jig.

If you know the fish are there maybe a senko rigged weightless just a thought could be wrong though

TRy that Heavy Spinnerbait Idea, that has worked for me for largemoiuth and some good sized smallmouth. Use a Flourescent color so the fish can get a good look at it. Also TRy Crawling a DT Hula Grub on a Jighead, It is a perfeect Ledge fishing combo, Drag it over the ledge and let it slowly fall right on top of those suspended fish.