Sign in to follow this  
basspro48

Those People

I just realized this weekend that I am one of "those people". The people that whenever they hook into a real biggun they lose it right at the boat. I hooked into a 6+ fish yesterday and lost it right at the boat. Now when I look back I realize that I have lost numerous fish estimated to be bigger than my pb right at the boat and tell you what man it aint no fun being one of "those people" :'(

atleast you have hooked one bigger than 6!! and if it werent for the people who lose THE BIG ONE at the boat, there would never be any good fishing stories to pass along..  So to you I Lose the big one at the boat, we thank you for your stories.  

All the years I have been fishing and have yet to catch anything bigger than 5.5, its a shame.   You are lucky you atleast get to hookem man,.

I just realized this weekend that I am one of "those people". The people that whenever they hook into a real biggun they lose it right at the boat. I hooked into a 6+ fish yesterday and lost it right at the boat. Now when I look back I realize that I have lost numerous fish estimated to be bigger than my pb right at the boat and tell you what man it aint no fun being one of "those people" :'(

You got a net on your boat?They help tremendously when you have a big fish on.

I lost two big fish last year that I think could have broken my personal best. :'(

I'll get 'em this year though... I know where they live ;)  

I humbly admit that I know the feeling well.

I've lost my Personal Best for three different species, right alongside the boat:

northern pike, mako shark and bluefin tuna. As consolation, I'll remind myself

that I did many things right that day and only one thing wrong.

Truthfully, that only helps for a little while, and then the pain comes back. Then I'll think,

"aw heck, I was going to let him go anyway", but for some reason that never helps at all >:(

Roger

It happens.  Yesterday, I lost 4 keepers, two of which were in the 4 - 5 pound range.  The weird part is that I was doing the same thing exactly as last Tuesday when I caught one 6 even and one 4.5 lbs.  It just happens.

I have lost 2 six plus pound bass, which are very hard to come by here, and they were both in the same weekend. I had a big northern, which wouldve been my pb break off at the boat, and not 1, not 2, but 3 big steelies throw the hook within feet of me.

Basspro, The important thing is you are hooking up with some nice fish. I'm sure there are guys reading this that wish they had your problems lol. I had a real heartbreaker last season so over the winter I got one of those Bassmaster nets from BPS. I probably won't get carried away using it but I'll have it ready for any real big ones.

It happens to everybody.if it's on treble hooked lures loosen your drag as the fish comes in.if it's on single hook lures a net will help.

Well, I know this is easier said than done, but what I think generally happens is that we get so excited, we tend to get in a hurry. The more big fish you land, the easier it becomes to land them! Duh...My point is this: Take your time and BELIEVE you are going to land the big fish. Personally, I like to see them run and jump, I enjoy the fight more than any other part of fishing. When fishing for smallmouth, I know that the fish will ALWAYS bolt at the boat and I anticipate that happening. Generally, the first time you actually get the bass to the boat only represents the half-way point in the battle: Rod up and no expectations of landing the fish right then. That is when I depend on the rod and the reel drag to do the work. I have rarely lost a big fish using a single hook, big lures and treble hooks present a different set of issues. Either way, patience is a virtue.

The other side of the coin is using heavy equipment with the drag cranked down. If you have watched the "Big Bass" videos fishing swimbaits, there's no fight, those boys literally reel like madmen and jerk the fish into the boat. A big hookset moves a fish out of their comfort zone and disorients them. A super fast retrieve gets them in the boat before they know what hit them. I don't fish that way myself, but it's another option to consider.

I hope your not losing these fish on single hook lures, if you are you need to work on your hookset because I can't even remember the last large fish I lost on a single hook lure.

Treble hooked baits?  Thats another matter.  Patience, allow the fish to lead you around the boat if necessary and whatever you do, take your time.  I've lost a few on crankbaits, one that would've been a PB, over 10lbs,  it happens.

I hope your not losing these fish on single hook lures, if you are you need to work on your hookset because I can't even remember the last large fish I lost on a single hook lure.

Treble hooked baits? Thats another matter.

I agree 100%.  You're bound to lose a few bass with crankbaits and such. You know that going in. But with worm hooks, they can't shake off as easily.

Guest avid

Keep the fish down in the water (no jumping).  Single hook baits get shook off too, so don't think your doing anything wrong if you loose one on a jig or worm.  when a big fish is still green at the boat, I like to keep pulling back and forth, get him belly up as you muscle him side to side.  This disorients them and they can be lipped.  Just be sure to do a little revival on him before turning him loose.