Sign in to follow this  
MSPbass

Weedless Wacky rigging?

I might be wrong, I'm not finding anything when I do a search, but I swear I saw a detailed instructional post on weedless wacky rigging here. I can't remember how the guy put the hook point back into the bait, but it was skin hooked, like a Tex rig. The post had pics that showed just how though. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

When I fish in weedy areas, or if I am having trouble getting my wacky rigged senko snagged on the bottom a lot, I use a hook with a metal weed guard.  I bought a few different styles last summer, the best had a small amount of weight on the shank of the hook to get down to deeper fish.  Some worked better than others, I wish I could give you the name of the ones I like but I don't remember.  Good luck.

Wayne P. has posted pics of wacky-rigged worms that are essentially weedless. You could try searching his posts. Basically, the hook is the same you would use for typical wacky-rigging (e.g. a mosquito hook). It's hard to explain w/o pics. Let me know if you can't find anything, or you could PM Wayne P.

Thanks all. I PM'd WP.

Also read the Inside Line article. (Thanks RW.) That's not what I was thinking, but still a good option; one that I will try this year. If I got it right, you use a cut piece of worm, thread one side up you line, wacky rig your worm, pull the piece over the main worm and cork the top of your hook off with it. Nice.

I use Falcon Lures "K" wacky hook, it is surprisingly weedless with the wire weed guard, and comes with weighted shanks in various sizes. The hook is a Gamakatsu 3/0 shiner hook, and IMHO a fantastic waky hook. I like the 1/16 oz size for most applications, like dropping it into a pocket in the milfoil, or fishing the deeper weed edge in 12'-14' FOW.

I know what you are thinking of.  Basically, you are rigging it texposed.  

enter the tip of the hook just off center of the worm,pull all the way thru till you hit the hook eye.  spin it and re-enter the tip into the worm just a bit.

I always use a weedless hook on my Senkos and plastics, especially the Wacky Rig as I throw them all over the place.

Have never had a hook-up problem and I throw the Senkos into cover and structure all the time.

Now, you can still get hung up and have to cut your line.  But it is worth knowing that I have a better chance to catch a bass in the trees and rocks, etc. with the weedless hook setup than not going weedless.  ;)

That is the method I'm thinking of, and its just another reason to love Zoom trick worms ;). Haven't used the nail weight though.  A shout to flippin4it for showing me this, and he credited Wayne P.

I actually have fished a wacky rig on a 3/0 ewg then use about an inch or so of an old worm rigged basically texas rigged

Huh?  A 1 inch worm?  Are you fishing for bait?

I actually have fished a wacky rig on a 3/0 ewg then use about an inch or so of an old worm rigged basically texas rigged

Huh? A 1 inch worm? Are you fishing for bait?

I think he meant he added a piece of worm to make the hook weedless,

Not using it for the bait. Some guys use a rubberband.

How 'bout that! Good trick, huh? That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

And thanks again to Wayne P. too! I'm really looking forward to trying out the "Wayne Rig" this season.