Sign in to follow this  
nofishforme

help me catch bass

hello all, im 15 and a noob at bass fishing. im not looking to become a great bass fisherman, i just wanna get somoe tips to give me a better chance. i am tired of spending 4 hours on my friends boat, and not even getting a bite. i have this 6 1/2 fishing pole called a shakespeare and its got the little thumb switch to cast it out. my question is what kind of "rig?" shuld i use. should i use a fake fish thing, a plastic worm, or one of those things with the spinners on em? and also when i do fish, should i let the thing get a little below the water and the reel it in moderately while jerking on the line to create that broken movement? once again im a big noob, so any advice is apreciated. :)

a lot of questions.  First of all, I will answer all of your questions with this... read, read, read, and then practice, practice, practice.  On this website and many others you will find a great deal of info on techniques, tackle, and whathaveyou.    I know your thinking great, thanks, jerk...

I will tell you this, a spinnerbait can simply be used by casting and retrieving, the longer you wait to start your retrieve the lower the bait will run.  There are other techniques, but this is one.

A plastic worm (senko, or other salt infused worm)  is usually best fished by dead sticking it, or catching them on the fall.  Use wide gap hooks or extra wide gap hooks and put hook point into one end, slide hook up to the eye, turn it around 180 degrees, and re-insert point into the worm so that it makes it weedless.  Adding weight just above the the worm makes it a texas rig, putting weight higher up on the line before a swivel will make it a carolina rig, and  adding no weight (are you ready for this???) makes it weightless.   The only other way of rigging these is to just hook it in the middle of the worm and that's called wacky.  If your at a wal-mart look at a package of Tiki-stick's they show all of these different techniques on the back of the package.  And they only cost 2.92 which I'm sure is important for a high school guy.

As far as surface, cranks, and others, I'm not even close to informed enough to give even a basic tutorial, I use them, I just don't know how to simply explain to you.  Good luck and I think even if you try and use spinnerbaits and senko's alone you will have success, and it sounds like you already have them in your tacklebox or can obtain them cheaply.

nofishforme,

Welcome aboard!

To get started:

Go to the top of the HOME page and click on "Fishing Articles", the first section is titled "For Beginning Anglers." Read all of those articles and take a few notes. The BassResource.com Library contains all the fishing related information you will need to become a better fisherman. Read the articles, access the links and get out there and spend some time on the water trying some of these techniques. Catching bass is fairly easy once you have a working knowledge of a few things to try and get out there and put them to use.

Also, in the "Fishing Tackle" section there is a thread, "Just Starting To Build Your Tackle Collection?" that will give you some suggestions on beginning equipment and lures. Check it out.

Good luck!

Is your friend catching bass? If so, pay attention to what he is doing. If he knows what he is doing, then ask him for a little guidance. I'd like to think that your friend who is taking you out would be more than happy to help you. That said, I caught my first bass 1 1/2 yrs ago on a texas-rigged 7" plastic worm. I did tons of research on the internet to learn about different ways to fish for bass. This site alone has enough articles to keep you busy for awhile. Don't get overwhelmed when you are reading about all the stuff and when you go to the tackle store. Just keep it simple. When you go to the tackle store, I bet the guy working there would be willing to give you some advice to get started.

You might have a different problem altogether if your friend doesn't know what he's doing either. Then you might have a problem with the part of the lake you are fishing on. Do a little reading on where bass like to hang out and then make sure you guys fish those areas of the lake. Good luck and show us a picture of the first bass you catch! :)

Keep reading the artlcles on this site.  As a newbie I began catching bass on plastic worms. 30 years latter it is still my go to bait.  I have developed other techniques and use other baits to become more competitive in tournaments, but the plastic worm is my favorite.  Go to local tackle store, Walmart is hard to beat, and get the following:  A bag of 7.5" worms, 3/16 bullet worm weights, and 3/0 offset hook.  Line should be about 12lb.  The sinker goes on before the hook and slides freely.  This is known as a Texas rig.  Cast and let fall.  Retrieve slowly, allowing short pauses for worm to settle on bottom.

Good Luck!

Your better off than I am... 38 year old newbie !  But as said before read all the "how to" arcticles at this site... very helpfull......  Some advice from another newbie: Do not go out and buy all the fancy equpiment (rods reels baits etc.) until learn how to locate the fish  (best equip in the world will not help if there is no fish present)...... I had to get me a baitcaster cuase thats what all the pros use.. and you know what.. I cuaght more fish with it !  rest of the story- Id get my bites while imma cussing and pickin' out the ever so present backlash !  ::)     Plastic worms t-rigged and spinner baits worked for me  (and patience).....

I was right at the point you are at the moment this time last year. ;D  I still consider myself new to the sport of bass fishing, but I studied and fished as much as possible.  Eventually you will go out to the lake and expect to catch fish.

I agree with everyone.  READ AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!  The begginer section on this website is very helpful.  And here is one hint: the bait monkey likes to hang around those articles all the time! ;)

alroght, thanks for all the help. i sure will read the different articles on this forum and tonight im goin to walmart with a 20$ budget which i assume will be able to get me the tackle that i need. however, i think ill pass on the worms..(cause i spent 4 hours and didnt get a single bite on worms) . i like the spinner bait idea cause i can cast and reel in pretty easily and i think that might allow me to experiment more. and i think ill just get a crankbait cause i see them on tv alot. Thanks for all the help. hopefully ill post in a week or so with my fishing report on lake chesdin

i don't really know if i would really START by buying crankbaits. if fished wrong or in the wrong places with an innexperiennced hand they can be lost very easily. take my word for it. go with something soft plastic that you can rig up weedless. flukes, senkos, power worms, tubes, small finesse stuff. you'll save  yourself alot of pain.

if all you waannt is to catch fish buy a minnow bucket and bait hooks, mabye some floats.