Sign in to follow this  
fishingJ

When bass strike?

Theres not.

Im sure everyone on here can agree that they have had hits/catches when the bait hits the water, initial fall, during retrieve, and even when pulling the lure back up out of the water (that seems to happen to me often since Im paying attention to my next cast at that point!)

It will depend on many factors: fish location, fish mood, lure type, etc.

Guest the_muddy_man

That depends on a lot of things. First: how agressive are they hitting that day Sometimes they hook themselves, sometimes you barley notice the hit at all Second the type lure you are using and Im far from an expert here Go back at look at the fishing articles on top there is lots of useful stuff there The 2 things I learned in this area is with topwaters not to pull the bait when you see the take I try to wait until I can really feel the weight of the fish on, I still dont have this right . And with plastic worms and senkos Sometimes you dont feel the hit but if you watch your line it will be doing somehing weird Like you know it should be falling and its moving sideways . Try those articles and some of the more experienced members thats how Im learning

Thers actually a whole lot of more things involved but Im not well versed in them so Ill leave it at that

fishingJ,

First off, Welcome to the forum.

There are so many scenrio's when reeling in your lures.     Can you give specific details.

The type of lure, structure/cover  being fished, ie....grass, lily pads, boat docks, trees.

Time of day, what was the cadence of your retrieve?

Each time you catch a bass, you try to analyze what just happened, or what did the bass just tell you.

Example-  You just cast past a boat dock by ten feet using a Mann's -4,   While retreiving, you run your lure into the boat dock pole under the water and continue to retrieve with no success.

You make the same cast, this time when you hit the pole under water, you stop the bait, or pause it as we might say, and after a 5 second pause, a bass clobbers it.

The bass prefered the bait to be stopped, so I might want a stop and go retrieve, and even look for another way to deflect my baits off of objects to entice a reaction strike.

The more information you can give, the more response will follow.

hookem

matt.

When do bass strike?

When management won't give them a good contract.  They would probably strike more often, but it's hard for them to hold those picket signs with such little fins.  

muddy_man, you disappointed me.  I thought you would be all over that one  ;D

Since I flip and pitch a lot I would say most of the hits I get are right when the bait hits the water or during the initial retrieve.(However that may be). That is not to say i do not catch them at other times or during late retrieve. This is just a reference point.

I don't think theres a specific time. Sometimes the bass hits my senko like from far away, or near. My bro caught a bass just throwing it into a corner, around 4lbs. So i think if the bass is there, and they see it, i think they will strike.

Everyone has made good points. Anytime the bait is in the water can result in a strike. I've had them strike before the lure even hit the water. When fishing shallow cover, it's been my experience that the highest percentage of strikes occur moments after the bait enters the water. For example...first initial fall of a jig/worm, first couple of cranks with a spinnerbait/buzzbait/crankbait or that first twitch of a topwater. This does not apply to deep water structure fishing which is a different animal altogether. The majority of strikes in deep water occur when the bait contacts the cover or structure itself. For example...casting a crankbait across a point. It may take me 10 cranks of the reel handle to get the bait down to the bottom but once that bait is digging into the bottom I'm looking for the strike. Same with dragging a c-rigged or t-rigged worm up, down or across a channel edge. I'll make a long cast and I won't really even expect a strike until my rig contacts some cover around that channel edge.

No doubt about it, a fish might strike at any time and I'm just speaking from my own experience but when the fish are aggressive I like to fish VERY fast and keep my lures in places that I consider high percentage spots because I know the bite won't last.

When the fish are in a negative mood I make repeated casts and work my lures SLOW.

There's some hilarious posts here, I'm still laughing, but many good points made as well. If I had to summarize and give a very big broad generalization, I'd say two of the the most effective actions from a lure that's produced bass for me is when the bait is falling or making no movement at all after whatever type of retrieve you're doing at the time.

Regarding your question about how you know when they're in a negative mood, I'd have to speculate that's when ya ain't gettin' no bites, or when they throw the bait back at you in disgust.