Sign in to follow this  
fishingJ

Setting the hook

I'm just wondering if someone could tell me when you're supposed to set the hook when your using jigs because I have lost tons of fish when i set the hook as soon as I feel them.

Perhaps you should wait a half a second before setting the hook. It's hard to learn but it does help. I had the same problem with top water lures. I would try to set the hook as soon as the hit occurred.

Don't set the hook as soon as you get a little bump. Bass will usually hold a jig pretty well and even longer if you add Megastrike scent to it.

I know it's hard at first but give the bass a second or two before you set your hook.

You may also be feeling bluegill taps and not actually bass. Bluegill will nip at a jig sometimes and you will set the hook.

Do you have a rod with heavy enough action to set the hook on a jig with. If your using a lite action rod you may not be getting a 3/0-4/0 hook to penitrate thru the fishes skin resulting in lost fish.

Is the hook sharp?

Pratice, pratice ,pratice, keep fishing that jig, add some scent and don't give up. Jigs are an awesome bait for catching big bass.

It's a feel thing.  Jigs get bit in different ways, depending on how you fish them and what type of cover you're pulling them through.  I've had them get pounded and at other times, I've felt a slight line twitch or a mushy feeling when pulling it through weeds.  When in doubt, swing hard.  You'll get the feel of it after awhile.

Guest ouachitabassangler

I'd say timing of a hookset is a very individual matter depending on your reaction speed. A bass can suck a jig in and spit it back out in 1/20 of a second. It's possible you are too slow on the draw. It doesn't take long for a bass to figure out a jig isn't something to eat, so they will spit them much quicker than most any other type of lure, holding onto soft plastics longest. Adding Megastrike or some oily fishy attractant does help keep their interest, but they don't swim around holding a jig for me.

Jim

Jigs aren't like topwaters or a t-rigged soft plastic.  You need to set the hook quick.  In my experience, the quicker the better.  I don't wait when I feel the tick or thump.  And I don't miss that many hook ups.  I do agree with Tom that you may be getting bluegills not bass.  Or they may be smaller bass that are picking up the trailer and not getting the hook in their mouth.  

Another thing I've learned recently is that the hooks on most jigs are way bigger (in diameter) than the standard EWGs I use for soft plastics so I need a stronger hook set to get the hook all the way in there.  

Regardless, always remember that swings are free!!!

Oh yeah...what Jim said.  Smear on some scent.  I always do that with jigs.  In fact, jigs are pretty much the only lure I use scent on.  It will also help the jig slide through cover a little easier.  

You didn't mention what type or brand name jigs you are using but some jigs have a longer and stiffer weed guard than others ...for a jig like that i trim out some of the fibers so the weed guard won't be as stifff .....some are so stiff that it will cause problems with the hookset .....

But be careful doing this cause if too much is trimed you will hang up and loose a lot of jigs ..

Agree with the others....quick and hard hook set is a most.

I do a couple of things to all my jigs that I believe help  my hook set ratio

1) Trim the hook gard to level with the tip of the hook.

2) Trim the skirt to 1/2 " from the hook.

3) With a pair of pliers open the curve/gap of the hook so the tip point up instead of flat.

Good luck

A jig is a mouthful of hardware and bristles. Unlike a plastic worm,

bass tend to eject a jig rather quickly, so prompt hook-sets are normally the ticket.

One study found that bass can eject a jig in about 1/4 second.

When using nylon monofilament, a long striking arc is needed to override the rubber band effect,

but this wastes valuable nanoseconds. With PowerPro braid there's no need for a jaw-breaking hook-set

because a shorter striking arc is sufficient to drive the point beyond the barb.

When a pickup is felt or seen, I drop the rod-tip "immediately" but just a short distance

(i.e. 11 to 9 o'clock), then lift the rod swiftly with no pause between movements.

This produces just enough slack to deliver a crack-the-whip hook-set like driving a nail.

There's really no need to retrieve any excess line slack because there is no excess slack.

It's works pretty good.

Roger

If you are feeling 2 ticks then  setting the hook with nothing to show, it is because that second tap is the bass spitting out the lure. Make sure u set it before that second tick.

I'm not sure why this is but the bass I catch seem to take a jig very well.

I flip and pitch all the time and hardly ever lose a bass on a jig do to being to slow on the hook-set. I hear some of the replies saying they spit a jig very quickly but in my experiance they seem to hold on to it very well. I'm not saying they hold it like a Senko or tube but they aren't very fast about dropping it after they'd inhaled it.

I do from time to time have one come unbuttoned but it is very rare losing a fish on a jig flippin and pitchin.

I have been paying attention to when I set the hook on a jig lately and it seems to be between a 1.5 and 2 seconds. I have yet to feel a fish pick it up and drop it within 2 seconds. now I'm sure there may have been some that I just didn't feel but the ones that bit will hold it for at least two seconds.

Next week I'm not gonna stick em' and I'm gonna see how long they will hold on to it for. Will post the results when I have some.

I've got to echo John's post previous to this one. Nothing's been mentioned, that I've read, about what type of trailer you're using with the jig. I prefer Uncle Josh's pork frog tails,after all, they feel and taste more natural because they are! I have rarely had a good bass (that I'm aware of-had to add that qualifier) spit my jigs out in less than a second. In fact, in my humble opinion, good bass tend to hang on to a jig-n-pig longer than most other lures, second only to soft plastics. They may not hang on as long as with soft plastics, but in the warm months, I find the hits on a jig-n-pig are so easy to feel....when I feel it, I set the hook...bam!!