Sign in to follow this  
Mak

need shallow thick veggie fishing advice

Ive been fishing in a part of a lake where its about 2 feet deep with lots of lilly pads and floating patches of grass, the water is murky and usually warm, and the bottom of it has very little structure and it has a thick layer of decomposing old trash, leaves, and mud (by thick i mean a 2+ feet thick).  i usually use a fake worm, spinnerbait or topwater.  but what else works well in these type of conditions?

thanks

Ick!

I would fish somewhere else. There is nothing about those conditions that sounds interesting to me. All of the decomposing plant materal simply steals oxygen from the water. The fishing environment sounds terrible. I wouldn't fish that section of the lake.

1. Get a mower

2. Mow this area down

3. Have a barbeque on it

4. Invite friends over to enjoy cookout (Preferably, me, BassPro48, LightninRod, LBH, etc.)

Ive been fishing in a part of a lake where its about 2 feet deep with lots of lilly pads and floating patches of grass, the water is murky and usually warm, and the bottom of it has very little structure and it has a thick layer of decomposing old trash, leaves, and mud (by thick i mean a 2+ feet thick).  i usually use a fake worm, spinnerbait or topwater.  but what else works well in these type of conditions?

thanks

try a topwater weedless frog, like a Spro Frog. throw it right into the weeds with high LB test, and hand on! if there are bass in there they should chomp it promply.

Sounds like a place i fish(except the old trash part).  But what i usually use, and would use there is some kind of soft plastic frog like the stanley ribbit, a floating frog or white mouse, or a drop shot or shakey head with a floating worm like a roboworm.

I instantly heard a little tune in the back of my head when you described the area. My thoughts as are RW's: move on down the road. However, if you have found fish in it than the other suggestions of top water would seem to be the answer for the most part.

Heck we have entire lakes over 5,000 acres here in Florida that fit that description quite well :) Yet somehow fish still live in it. But mucky bottom shallow lakes are not my idea of a good place to fish. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Besides the other good advice given you can also try this. Rig up a Charlies Worm (Brand name) or any other high floater worm. Something that floats not sinks. It usually says on the bag if they float. If they don't then assume they sink. Anyway rig a solid white or chartreuse worm weightless on a 3/0 hook. Cast it out into the thick stuff and slightly twitch the rod tip back toward you. This makes the worm dance in the water and this action is awesome. Sometimes I wonder why I don't use this method more often then I do? Anyway, just twitch the worm all the way back to the boat or bank.

This is a very weedless presentation and should get you a bite or two in there.

Good luck.

a fat ika along the edges of the pads and grass should be good.  i like weightless plastics when the bottom is muck.  senkos should also be good along the edges.

matt

I was kinda thinking the same thing it sounds like home to me and what I grew up fishing lol ;D

1) cream worm- natural, junebug

2) spitt'n image jr.

3) soft jerkbait like a bass assasin tenn shad or crystal shad

4) Rapala gold floating minnow

5) scum frog

6) pegged tequilla green flake worm, junebug, or redshad green flake

7) floating worm

8) sugar shad gold (or rattle trap 1/4oz)

9) spook jr

10) spinnerbait-you wanna bend the blade arm up at more of a 90 degree angle this helps the bait deflect off of the pad stems.

11) black/blue flake zoom lizard (great color)

12) buzzbait or prop bait

That is some stuff I used around Fla that have lakes like that.

i dont want to fish in another spot because this one is close by to my house and in peoples backyears that let me fish there but ill try the floatin frogs and worms