Sign in to follow this  
jbomar3771

no strikes

i went fishing in a small pond today and walked up and seen big bass just sitting there. when i would cast to the shore u would see the big swirls but i could not get a strike. i used trick worm tr i tried jig slow , i tried spinnerbait,buzzbait, could not get a strike. can anybody give me some advice that might could trigger some strikes?

They sound pretty spooked. Try a Zoom centipede in Green Pumpkin or Watermelon rigged wacky on 8lb test. I bet you catch a few. Good luck.

Are you sure they were bass? I only ask because carp do that to me alot, they sometimes will charge the bait, I think its a territorial thing. Ill assume that they are bass because I have know reason to doubt you, and I'd say if you'r using a moving bait, use one that sinks. When the fish is moving in on the bait, stop reeling and let it drop, this can sometimes trigger them to strike the lure. Other than that, just experiment with different presentations. Try lighter line, smaller more natural looking baits, or even bigger, flashier more attention getting baits. Just keeping shootin, eventually one will fall!

If you can see them, it's likely that they can see you.  Try to sneak up on them.  Light line and smaller lures could be the ticket.

Guest avid

Try moving back away from the bank so that you and the fish can't see each other.  Give the spot time to settle down.  Time moves real S-L-O-W when your just waiting, so go to another spot for a while before you come back.  Then pitch a Senko or finesse worm.

one of the biggest mistakes bank fisherman make is to walk right up to the water edge and heave a cast as far as possible.  There are always some bass in the shallows.  Catch them first by staying back then move up.

good luck and have fun.

avid

Well, assuming they are bass, two lures that might work in shallow water are the Senko and Fat Ika.

As a matter of fact, I'll go so far to say, "If you don't catch a bass on one of these baits, they're not bass!"

they are definatley bass . i couldnt see them today. i tried a zoom double ringer on a wacky rig,no strikes. i went back with a trick worm, fished it really slow and got a couple of dinks and one small bass. i seen a lot of big bass swimming yesterday,just cant get,em. i appreciate all the help

If you can see them, it's likely that they can see you. Try to sneak up on them. Light line and smaller lures could be the ticket.

Thats what I would do. Get as far away as you can. Go small and try a rattle. The centipide sounds good. Cast over the fish and retrive the worm along bottom past them as oppossed to trying to cast right at their heads. If they are as spooky as you say its only gonna make it worse. BE VERY VERY LIGHT ON YOUR FEET! if your fishing from shore.

Guest the_muddy_man

Oh my mistake I thought this was a thread about Randy Johnsons Pitching abilities these days

Try dead sticking a wacky rigged senko. Put it out there and let it sit for up to 3min. If they are bass, they'll hit it. If you can see them, the water  is so clear, the splash will spook them. Cast and wait.

Rob

If there's a magic lure for catching pond bass, it has eluded me for a long time ;)

As Senile1 has stated, if you see them, they probably see you.

Our seeing bass is about entertainment, but bass seeing us is about survival.

No matter how many boats I've owned, my love for bank fishing has never waned, it's a beautiful hands-on experience.

The key word as others have noted is STEALTH.

Stay low, walk softly and rush nothing. When I make a bad step or some stupid mistake on my approach,

I'll just move right past that spot and try to do a better job on my way back.

Roger

i went back out on my lunch break today, it was very cold . a cold front came through so i thought for sure i wouldnt catch nothing. i was fishing a senko and after about fifteen minutes i caught a three pounder, not a giant but i love catching them.  thanks for all your help

RW is right on the money.  senkos and fat ika are my number one baits for fish that i can see whether on beds or not.  i prefer the senko for cruising fish and the ika for bedding fish.

i think the slower fall gives them more time to turn on them.

matt