Sign in to follow this  
fishingJ

Can't wait for summer

Although it is an extremely warm winter at this point here in Canada, it is to cold and in some spots to icey to fish. I don't ice fish so right now I feel like a dog in a tiny cage going crazy to get out. I haven't fish in a couple months and my patience has almost warn out. I can't wait for summer so I can get out fishing again but what do some of you guys that are in the same position as me do to keep that fishing drive satisfied.

Buy new equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep,all winter long.That new BPS catalog always shows up right on time.

Well today I went and bought a bunch of crankbaits at Dicks Sporting Goods.  That might hold be over for a couple of days.  ;D  Also I DV-R almost every fishing show that get aired on tv.  Then, when a really big fishing craving sets in, (and i'm broke) I watch fishing shows.  It seems to help pass the time until spring.

-- Buy Tackle

-- Sort Tackle

-- Sharpen/Change out hooks

-- Scout new water

-- Find new structure/cover on familiar water

-- Unless there is ice, fish. Even if the fish aren't biting (like today) you can still learn and practice different techniques. I got a new GPS for Christmas, and I gave it a workout today trying to navigate in fog, with about 50' visibility. I took me about 15 minutes to stop going in circles, and travel in a straight line. That will come in real handy during the summer if I decide to go night fishing on big water like the Potomac.

Buy new equipment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep,all winter long.That new BPS catalog always shows up right on time.

I hear that. I just got mine two days ago and have already looked through it one hundred times( and probally a hundred more by the end of today). I have found that scouting is a good time consumer in the winter. Most lakes are drawn down and you can get a good look at some new structure. Some lakes even let you plant your own. I always bring the camra along and take pictures of the area I'm scouting, that way in the summer I know whats there.

Agreed. Winter is probably the worst time of year around here in NJ.

Unless your Avid 8-), the months of january and febuary arent so bad

Me, I just go insaine till spring :o its been to cold lately to fish even here in CA. Pluse not having a running boat limits me to bank fishing. I would go striper fishing but its slow and boring from the bank.

It is a good time for rod-n-reel maintenance too.

Allen

I usually start cleaning and lubing my reels after the holidays, but mostly I've been buying alot of tackle.

(the bait monkey has been very busy) I just got my BPS catalog yesterday, and like mdangler I've been cover-to-cover more times then I care to admit. I now have another list of got-to-have items.

Oh well, maybe the rain will stop and I can go out and try my new pointers in the canal.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Falcon

It's been really nice here in Kansas till today it's snowing :-/ i think winter finally set in. Something that always makes me feel better is looking at a BPS catalog or walking through the fishing section at walmart the smell of plastics and the shinyness of all those crainkbaits and spinnerbaits makes me get goosebumps, then the baitmonkey comes outa hiding and empties my wallet.

Well today I went and bought a bunch of crankbaits at Dicks Sporting Goods.  That might hold be over for a couple of days.  ;D  Also I DV-R almost every fishing show that get aired on tv.  Then, when a really big fishing craving sets in, (and i'm broke) I watch fishing shows.  It seems to help pass the time until spring.

Thats me right there.