Sign in to follow this  
blanked

do you use others brush pile

if you see someone fishing off shore structure do you take a gps read close by and come back another day to look for it?   how much of your off shore structure have you found this way  

You bet I do. Once it is in the water it doesn't belong to anyone. I find fishing spots like this all the time.

Of course.

That is the fun part of fishing.

I also look for the stakes and other things I know people have put in the water to hold fish.

Today, I fished a dock with an old Christmas tree sticking out of the water (low tide) while haveing a conversation with the homeowner who was working on his boat.  Did he mind?  Nope.  Not one bit. That is why the Christmas tree was sunk there...to attract fish so he and others can enjoy the catch.

I have been known to wait for other fishermen to leave a spot that I know holds a submerged brush pile and then fish it.  No problem.

I tell guys about the Christmas tree I sank in a local pond so they will know where to throw their baits.

It is a part of fishing.

It is a part of fishing.

I guess. ::) I'll be the first to say, it's a little disappointing to come into an area and see people sitting on the spots you've sunk brush, especially this time of year. Sure, it happens but it's no fun for the guys who actually take the time and energy to sink brushpiles or other things, just to have others cruising around and accidentally finding them, then coming back to them everytime they're out. If the intention was to let everyone know where they were, we'd just attach buoys to the piles before sinking them. And I doubt you'll find any with buoys or markers on them, unless your state or local Game Dept sinks them.

Remember, I'm not saying it's wrong. But if you are one who puts cover in for the fish, you know its disappointing to see someone sitting on it.....especially during a tournament.

Now on Toledo Bend there is no need to add brush but I've posted this tip once before; look for jugs marking trotlines because any good cat fisherman knows you must place the trotline on feeding flats near deep water structure.

Do you use other's brush piles?

Not while they're watching No.gif

well how i see it is you cant be disapointed even though you put the work in it. you put it in public water. its like dropping a 100 dollar bill in a subway how i see it. if someone finds it heck ya there gunna take it even if it has your name all over it. i sure fish others cover if i find it and i also put out cover. i try to place cover were no one fishes. like a completely baren bay without any boat ramps or anything near.

yes its ok  to do it   fair game,   but i think your asking this because youve heard something about this topic before.   my guess is youve heard about tournament situations  or  honeyholes people have personally shown you.  in either case  i dont fish them  tourney situation   boater takes you to a spot  and it pans out,the right thing to do is not take another boater there during the same tourney.           situation number two     i take you to a lake a fairly large lake  and i show you a spot and technique  and i ask you to leave this spot alone  as i will be fishing it  soon for a tourney.   right thing to do is leave it alone   cause were freinds   and we respect each other.            but if your on a lake and see someone fishing offshore           why wouldnt it be ok to go there when they leave?  it dont matter who put it there cause my depthfinder  doesnt show the  property of   so and so tag on it.

Yes I do. As has been stated, once it's in public water, it's not "yours" anymore. I've had guys get mad at me for fishing "their water" because they caught a walleye and put out a marker bouy. Everybody does it, when we go out fishing for walleye, that's the first thing we look for.

Falcon

Can a brush pile be over fished? Yes.

Dose less fishing pressure on a brush pile make it easier to catch fish? Yes.

Is it fair game for whoever stumbles across it? Yes.

Did I do a good job of hiding my orange tree with 10 cinder blocks tied to it in 18 ft of water? I think so.

Do I have the gps coordinates? Yes.

Will I be disappointed when I find someone else fishing my tree? Yes, but it is bound to happen and I wont get angry.

Theses sentiments directly reflect the same problem with over crowded surf. I avoid crowds and don't share my secret surf spots with anyone who isn't in the car with me.