Sign in to follow this  
hawgchaser

Paint will NOT stay on Red Eye Shad...Very disappointed

The red eye shad catches fish as good as any trap type bait I have fished. However, the paint will not stay on them for anything. I have been through 4 of them this week and they all have half the paint gone!

The Xcalibur Xr50 have held up perfectly and is a superior bait IMO. I will stick with them. Well worth the extra $3.

hawgchaser, If you don't want them I'll pay shipping to my house. Thats when I like em best. ;) David

I don't mid some chipping but they are basically white on one side.

As long as a lure catches fish, I don't care what it looks like. I still have my very first lure, a silver Jitterbug thats about 6 years old, that has about half the paint gone and still catches me more fish than any of my other Jitterbugs.

I would keep fishing them. For all we know, the fish might like them better with less paint.

As long as a lure catches fish, I don't care what it looks like. I still have my very first lure, a silver Jitterbug thats about 6 years old, that has about half the paint gone and still catches me more fish than any of my other Jitterbugs.

I would keep fishing them. For all we know, the fish might like them better with less paint.

Well my problem is that they are hitting chrome/blue. The lure is now white and they aren't hitting that color.

Were they chrome? They're the worst. I always put 2 coats of clear on them right out of the box, works perfect. Take one and get the rest of the paint off so it is solid white and hold on tight. David

That's strange. I've never had a problem with my Red Eye's. I fish them alot and never had any paint come off, including Chrome/Blue.

Might be a problem with a certain lot.

Good luck,

Falcon

I had a bunch of the gold/black red eyes given to me. Never really caught any on them. Had a guy wearing me out with a chrome trap one day and those were all I had. Scratched the gold and black off to reveal a chrome. All of mine are now a scratched combination of chrome and a bone colored. They SLAY

off topic but if u aint catching fish with a rat l trap type bait only 2 things can be wrong 1 No fish in that body of water 2 you need to take up a diff addiction ;D

I have the same problem with my Tennessee Shad color. I havent even used it...just the shakin in the box has chipped the paint off.

Ian

Yeap. I love the red eye shad, but like most Strike King cranks the quality is not there. I have since got rid of all my SK cranks (except for a few red eyes). Junk IMO.

The new 3/4 oz. version I bought for this year seems to have a better finish on it the the older 1/2 oz. baits I have used. Won't know until the ice goes away though!! ;)

ajr

Hawgchaser, I noticed your thread and did some research for you....Since I don't throw crankbaits anymore, had to call the SK Manufacturing group for some accurate information.

The painting process on these crank baits is called vacuum metalizing....From what I understand, many of your comments about the paint scratching off is definitely the older production models. They changed their Paint Contractor quite awhile back and the paint quality is very much improved. The 3/4 that Bassnajar was referring to, has only been produced by this new contractor so it should demonstrate or be representative of all of the other sizes produced by them as well.

Hope that helps to answer your questions,

Big O

www.ragetail.com  

Hawgchaser, I noticed your thread and did some research for you....Since I don't throw crankbaits anymore, had to call the SK Manufacturing group for some accurate information.

The painting process on these crank baits is called vacuum metalizing....From what I understand, many of your comments about the paint scratching off is definitely the older production models. They changed their Paint Contractor quite awhile back and the paint quality is very much improved. The 3/4 that Bassnajar was referring to, has only been produced by this new contractor so it should demonstrate or be representative of all of the other sizes produced by them as well.

Hope that helps to answer your questions,

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Really? Great info Big O!

I hope the problem has been solved bc that lure flat out produces! But Im not going to buy anymore if the paint chips off after a days fishing. I wonder if there is a way to tell which ones are old. I bought them from Academy in January.

Were they chrome? They're the worst. I always put 2 coats of clear on them right out of the box, works perfect. Take one and get the rest of the paint off so it is solid white and hold on tight. David

Agree 100%

I have had more than 1 brand of lure in chrome that had problems. Not sure if they are actually painted or it is some type of coating.

Don't laugh at me but......

I stole my wife's Sally Hansen's "Hard as Nails" clear coat nail polish.  :-[  I use it on my jig heads etc. to protect the paint I put on. It's cheap easy to use, and saves me alot on replacement/repair costs.

ajr

got an old silver/black back rapala floater that now looks like a chicken bone the dogs out in the yard have been gnawing on since last sunday.

it still catches fish.

that said, sk products are not known for their overall durability.

Theres so many in stock, out of stock, first in, first out issues with the variety of on the shelf retailers, might try *** because strickly internet sales outlets probably turnover their stock more often and have more effecient inventories since they require no display product.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

All you have to do if you have a problem with SK is call them they will take care of it.  I had several the paint came off and they replace every one.  Great service.

i have the same problem  with a big o  chrome  all the chrome comes off and the lure is a off white color but like some of the guys say it still catches fish   iam going to put some devcon on lure and see  what happens