Sign in to follow this  
detroit1

FISHING PARTNERS

Just wondering, do you outfish everyone you bring in your boat? I ask because the buddies i take fishing just aren't in to it as much as i am, so i (almost) outfish them every time. They don't have a boat, but they do have rods/tackle (limited) and I let them borrow anything not tied on a rod. I would love to fish with someone with the same or (preferred) better to force me to become a better angler. I don't want to join a bass club or fish tourneys, but i know that is probabally the best way to learn. Anyways, are any of you lucky enough to have a talented partner fish with you most of the time?

Quick story. My partner and I fished years ago on Palestine, standing on the front throwing the same thing. Score him 5 at 27.05, me  2  @ 6.09. Now that's a butt kicking. Just glad we were on the same team.

Well, my main partner, Dirk, is the guy that took the time to explain how my saltwater knowledge transfers to fresh.  He is a pattern technician and for a few years, I just soaked up everything he did and said.

Nowadays, I fish with a wide range of people.  Some better than me, some not.  

I always find that fishing with different people does nothing but expand my horizons,...it's not about how many I have and how many he/she has, it's about how many the boat has. Competition adds something to ordinary fishing, brings it to a different level.  Completely removing competition also does the same.

The way my boat is set up, my guest has the front.  Putting people on fish is just as fun nd sometimes more rewarding than catching them myself.  Especially if we are catching in a way that is new to them.

My #1 partner Pat and I have fished together for 27+ years we are both about equal in our skills.  ;)

My #1 partner Pat and I have fished together for 27+ years we are both about equal in our skills.  ;)

It ain't just about setting a hook, countless best friends have been made on the water.  I consider Dirk a member of my family.   This was our 15th season fishing together.

I look forward to someday laying down a claim like Catt's, that's what it's all about right there.  

Stringer- Welcome Aboard!!  Do I know you?  

Did I just find another person to apply the title of this thread to??  :D

In a mano a mano I always outfish any of my partners, but that 's hardly the case because most of my partners are people with not the same level of skill and knowledge I posses, so instead of me fishing I 'm out there me teaching so I hardly fish at all ( reason why I want to catch fish I usually go on my own ). I don 't mind teaching, I get a lot of gratification doing so.

My partner was a tournament fisherman for a number of years, he has been fishing the Tennessee River for more than thirty. Now he does some guiding two or three days a week.

If he would just listen, I could teach him how to fish! ::)

I got lucky about six years ago finding a REAL fisherman and a partner that likes to fish as much or more than me. PURE LUCK! When we fish, it's not competative, it's about "fish in the boat." Most of the time we have "guests" and spend a lot of our time putting THEM on fish. I'm not talking about paying clients, just friends and business aquaintances. It's a blast for me, whether I'm the "catcher" or the "teacher."

My partner has become my best friend. I let him run the boat and I ALWAYS fish in front of him (just trying to help). We both "net" for each other and compliment each other's fishing in every way. I even let him buy us a new boat and a house at the lake for me to stay in. Man, am I a friend or what? His wife and family are a mirror image of mine. Yep, I got lucky.

p.s. Now this might surprise you: My buddy bought a Ranger boat (BayRanger 2180 with a Yamaha motor), fishes Shimano reels, G.Loomis rods, Yo-Zuri line and Gamakatsu hooks. See how much I have helped him!

8-)

I go out with fourbizz once or twice a month and needless to say 99% of the time I get my butt kicked, but in that butt kicking, I learn a lot of techniques and tips.  In turn when I take my other friends fishing (who aren't as skilled as I am), I usually take those tips and tricks and lay the butt kicking on them.  When I go with them I find myself lending a helping hand more than I fish though.   So to your question, yes, I am lucky enough to have a talented partner

Guest muddy

My new partner this year has become my friend Bruce , who replaced Ron when he moved to Florida. I don't really care about skills, I care for the friendship and the coversation that happens on our trips. I have known him for a few years but never got to fish with him til this year and it's all good in the hood once again 8-)

Doghouse and I have been fishing together for 16years now. I have learned alot from him and he picks up plenty of finesse ideas from me.

Spotaholic has been my mentor for over 2 years. He is the best fisherman I know and I soak up everything I can when I am out with him.

Buzzbaitfool12 and I get out every other week. We have a blast.

I really enjoy fishing with senko77. He is a blast and I have learned alot from him.

My newest fishing partner is Glenn2. He reminds me of fivebasslimit. They could be brothers. lol

It doesn't matter who catches the most fish. So long as everyone leaves smiling.

Russ, Pat and I started out 35 years ago, he was my ex-wife's next door neighbor, he had moved out on his own after graduation but was struggling and he would show up around the house about supper time. I got him into carpenters apprentice school and then had him hired as my apprentice. 8 years later I took him on his first bass fishing trip at night on the Bend; since then the student has grown to become an equal to the master both in carpentry and bass fishing.

here is a quick story and one I share with pride.

My main partner is my son. He is 15 and an awesome angler. We are in a tournament this year for the total weight from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2007. He is currently beating me by about 17 pounds. He doesn't know it but I would love for him to beat me!!!! I took him fishing for his first time when he was 3 years old. We are competing for the reel of our choice!

Pretty soon I'l be handing over the keys to the truck and the boat!  ALL I WANTED WAS A REVO!

I have been fishing with my partner for about 4 years.  Most of the time he caught more and bigger fish.  I was super competitive and didn't want to try his lure or technique.  I was going to beat him with something else.  About two years ago he was beating the pants off me and I re-evaluated the situation.  The next day I went out and bought the same jig and trailer and fished it until I had similar success.  Since then I try whatever my partner has success using.  I have also made a point of trying to master new lures and techniques.  This year my partner and I fished a tournament series and one day I caught the entire 5 fish limit for second place.  In another tournament I caught a 4 pounder to fill out our limit.  In another tourament my partner caught 8 pounds and I caught 4 pounds worth for a 12lb, 10oz bag.  Other days we were about even.  We ended up winning our tournament series because we work well as a team!  Now I would say that we are about equal but my fishing would not have improved nearly as fast without him!

Here lately I found that I don't fish well with a partner. My method of choice is power fishing, and covering large areas of water in a small amount of time.  This is what works for me on Kentucky Lake!  Almost everyone I've taken doesn't appreciate my style, and gets frustrated when I don't troll around every piece of brush or downed tree.  There are afternoons when I like to slow it down, and take it easy on a productive piece of water.  Although, when you have 8 square miles of water to cover in a 6 hour period I've found power fishing to be the best.    This method has proven to be successful for me, and have earned me bragging rights at the local marinas, and quite a few trophy bass on the wall.  

The last time I had a fishing buddy it was my father-in-law, and we ended up arguing over non-sense.   :)  He likes to fish ONLY twirl tail 'Kale' type grubs, and he never catches anything, but persists on telling me how it's done.  All the while I'm pulling fish in left and right by methods he deems "wrong".  ;)

I fish with my son and his wife most of the time and I am always happy if they do better than me.  When they are not available I take out some other members of this forum and fish with them.  There are a lot of good guys and gals to fish with here in Northern Virginia.

As far as bass fishing I have a couple partners. But first and foremost is definately my dad (rondef on this forum). We have an awesome time on the water. He has picked up fishing again for the first time since he was a kid and used to fish for trout and salmon with my great grandfather who I only got to meet one time. My dad says he would be proud of me though for learning all I have and being so much into fishing like he was. My dad misses him a lot and I know they used to be fishing partners when my dad was younger.

Despite me teaching my dad the ropes of bass fishing or at least giving him ideas to start out, lately he's become almost more into it than me. He went out and bought us a bass boat despite this being our first year fishing for bass. We both started early summer but have easily landed between 100-200 fish so far this year. We are off to a great start.

We love taking the boat out down the Occoquan and finding new fishy type spots and using judgement and stuff we've learned to determine where the bass are holding. When we do find a pattern we get excited as all get out just because it's so new to both of us and we feel proud that we are able to accomplish as much together as we are. We talk more than ever now even if it's not all about bass fishing. It's actually really cool because me and my dad didn't hang out as much when I was in high school and I kinda isolated myself away from my parents for a while. But now that we get out together we have grown really close again. We share a lot of the same opinions on a lot of things and we can really open up to each other unlike years ago. He's the coolest person I get to fish with. I wish my sister was around more but she works at St. John's Research Hospital in Tennessee and I rarely get to see her (she loves fishing too).

I love fishing for catfish with my wife. She's adorable and really into catching Mr. Whiskers. She can kill anyone when we take her out on the boat for these guys. Normally she has between 5-15 fish days depending on bait, location and time we chose to go out (high or low tide wise). She rigs her own stuff and has actually been very creative about her approach in catching these guys as far as how she sets stuff up. She does very well and is contemplating getting into tourney fishing for cats next year after my dad's friend from work takes her out on the potomac a couple of times to teach her the ropes of looking for catching trophy cats.

The other two people are my friend Karen (who will be moving to florida next month :( ) and Andy. The only good part about Karen moving is I will be able to plan trips down there to fish for florida strain bass. W00t! But I will miss her a lot. She has taught me a lot about fishing and I am forever grateful to everything I have picked up from her. Whether it's how different types of baits work, how she taught me how to walk the dog or just giving me tips on life in general, she is a great girl to take out fishing.

Andy is my partner in crime so to speak from the shore. I met him on here and we feed off of each other. He's given me confidence in a few select baits I would not have thought twice about and he's taught me a lot about using them (whether he tells me or just lets me watch him work his baits). We give each other spots and tell each other about techniques that have worked in those spots and share just about everything we know. He's a really cool guy and while our schedules don't meet up perfectly, it makes it that much better when we do get out.

Thanks to everyone else I've fished with on here that's spent time with me on the water. You are all partners to me as well.