Sign in to follow this  
mtnpainter

Newbies to Largemouth Bass Fishing

My husband and myself just started bass fishing in July of this year.  Took a class and have had lots of luck and fun catching 1-2 lb. bass this summer. Well it is now the end of October and we have been out for 2 days trying everything from plastic worms, jigs, crankbait, spinners, topwater, poppers, etc.  We can not even get a nibble.  Neither on the edges, middle, just no where.  The fish finder is showing lots of fish.  we are casting, retrieveing, etc with no luck.  We are on a 50 acre spring fed private lake.  HELP we just need someone to tell us what we are doing wrong, and help us just catch a few.  Any input would be greatly appreicated.  We do not want to be the tournament type, just a happy couple fishing on the lake.

Welcome!

I would recommend that you post the water conditions which you are fishing, IE...clarity, temperature. Fall bassin can be tricky especially if your area has had a bout of cooler weather or it's first fronts of the Fall.

In Fall, bass will tend to gang up to feed. They will sometimes vacate their Summer haunts and do nothing but chase bait.

My first recommendation would be to search for the prey they are eating then fish the areas where you find it.

You'll get plenty of helpful responses here, enjoy and good luck!

Welcome aboard!

It's not "what" you are fishing, but "where" you fish. I suggest focusing on structure in a little deeper water. The obvious place to start would be points. If you know of places where the lake is shallow, then drops into deeper water, fish along the drop. Boulders, ridges, humps and pools are all examples of "structure." Try focusing there.

and Slooooow it down.  Everything slows to a crawl as temps drop, especially metabolism.  Slow down your retrieves.  

where are you located (state) this will help others give you sound advice.

Welcome Aboard guys!! :)

How Y'all Are?

That's why its called fishing & not catching   ;)

Guest avid

Howdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee    

Avid here.

Some good suggestions.  I guess now is as good as a time as any to post my recurrent message.

It is a good idea for folks to put their location in their sig line or avatar.

This makes it easy for people who want to help get an idea of your seasonal conditions.

Ok,  first off, no matter what you do you will always have days when you get skunked.

This is a GOOD thing because it teaches us to enjoy a day of fishing and being in God's great outdoors no matter what.

It's also helps us to value the good days that much more.

Your bass may be in a fall pattern of schooling.

They will want to chase schools of baitfish more at this time of year.

A chrome/blue ratltrap is a classic bait for this situation.

Ole Dan (Lightingrod) should be around sometime soon.  He's a good ole Geogia boy with lots of pond/small lake experience.

He also is a pretty dang good basser.

Keep an eye out for his posts or shoot him a pm.  He will be more than happy to help y'all out I'm sure.

good luck and have fun.

avid  

Depending on where you are located this time of the year can be pretty good or pretty bad :-[. Here in SW TN it was pretty good up until this last cold front came thru (haven't been since). If the water is still warm enough the fish will be feeding really good, maybe a little deeper and you might have to slow down your presentation. Depending on where you are and water temp. Fall can be "almost" good as Spring. Apologize for nothing specific. Also, WELCOME to the forums!!!

As Ever,

skillet

Thank you for the kind words Avid.

I'm skunking out a lot lately too.  Just keep on getting out on the water and something will work for sooner, rather than later, I'll bet.

As was recommended in your other post, consider hiring Randall to take you Bass fishing on Lake Varner.  I've been with him twice now and will be going again.  

Dan

Welcome!

A- don't expect to be a pro right away. Fishing requires patience and optimism.

B- locate the depth of the forage and find structure and/ or cover near or intersecting that depth.

3- if the water temps are relatively cold and the bass are suspended, jig a spoon.

D- read all of the suggestions in this thread and apply them.

E- as someone has said, the bad stretches make you appreciate the good.

F- ditto "that's why they call it fishing..."

G- stay after them!