Sign in to follow this  
Guest hookd_up_outdoors

Just how big?

Guest hookd_up_outdoors

Hey guys,

I'm a musky fishing guy from Wisconsin.  I am into lures all of which are very large.  Musky fishing has some crazy big stuff and I know the bass anglers of the west and south use some big stuff too.  Here our bass fishing consists of smaller lures so I really don't have a lot of info.  Is this bait, at 14" and 8 ounces too big?

post-0-130163011165_thumb.jpg

Guest hookd_up_outdoors

Thanks PT, do you think they will work if I head on vaca. to FL next month?

If you are in florida, there will be plenty of other fishes that would love those big baits. Barracuda, peacock, redfish to name a few.

I know plenty of guys in MN that spend their days throwing baits just like that for musky.  They catch the occasional bass.  I don't know how big, in fact I don't think I want to know, because I'd be willing to bet they are catching some of the fish that I wish I could find.  Any bass big enough to hit something like that around here is probably leaning towards the trophy variety.

Thanks PT, do you think they will work if I head on vaca. to FL next month?

That question is one of those questions you should never ask to others, ask it to yourself, do YOU think they will work ?

Look at it this way, you have nothing to loose and you won 't know unless you try.

There are plenty of musky fisherman around here that throw big stuff like that and they catch bass with them. Big bass!!! FL. would be a fine place to throw those.

I'm going to have to throw my Shallow Invaders in the one lake I fish. I've had some big ones on in that lake on smaller cranks and I'm pretty sure they've never seen anything like that at the lake I'm thinking of!  ;)

I throw a lot of big lures for Muskies here on the St. Lawrence River and I have had some really small bass hit some really big Musky lures over the years. When a bass wants to eat he will hit most anything! :)

Here on St. Clair, I've caught many 14"-16" largemouth with my 9" Grandma's and 8" Shallow Raiders, and big Bucktails. It's amazing, how bass will attack a bait that's half as big as themselves.

Falcon

I think I read a study done somewhere sometime ;D that a bass can eat prey up to 75% of its body length if its the right shape. Long and thin was the shape, so that would put fish around 19-20 inches that actually think they could eat that thing, the 15-16"ers just don't know they are still small ;D

Bass have big egos.They'll hit stuff three times their size sometimes.The only problem you may have with those lures here in FL is keeping the weeds off those trebles.

Hey guys,

I'm a musky fishing guy from Wisconsin. I am into lures all of which are very large. Musky fishing has some crazy big stuff and I know the bass anglers of the west and south use some big stuff too. Here our bass fishing consists of smaller lures so I really don't have a lot of info. Is this bait, at 14" and 8 ounces too big?

If I were you, i would fish in a lake where people can catch basses, and muskies too.

After few days of fishing you will get the answer :D

The biggest lure i've ever seen in a picture with lure

http://www.salmo.com.pl/page.php?id=74

http://www.salmofishing.com/lures/jack_turbo.html

Hmmm? What do you think now? He would probably sure die trying.

75percent.jpgcourtesy of jeffonc from NCangler

I think I read a study done somewhere sometime ;D that a bass can eat prey up to 75% of its body length if its the right shape. Long and thin was the shape, so that would put fish around 19-20 inches that actually think they could eat that thing, the 15-16"ers just don't know they are still small ;D

If you are in florida, there will be plenty of other fishes that would love those big baits. Barracuda, peacock, redfish to name a few.

Redfish and barracuda don't swim in freshwater. So if he is fishing for LM bass, then he will have no chance of catching those.