Sign in to follow this  
RAM3139

Lure Size for Spring Smallies

In general, when going after pre-spawn smallmouth in early spring when the water is in the low to mid 40's, do you guys normally down-size from your usual offerings? (e.g. size 8 x-rap vs size 10, or 3.5" tube vs 4").  I always slow down my presentation, but I'm wondering if going smaller would help as well?

Small lures are for small fish.

That's not always true, but big lures attract bigger fish more consistantly. I prefer Lucky Craft 128, full size Zara Spooks and Ledgebuster 3/4 oz Single Willow Blade Spinnerbaits for aggressive bites. Still, standard smallmouth lures work well: 3 1/2" Mizmo tube (Kent's Classic), grubs, single tail Hula Grubs and my favorite Fat Ika.

I never downsize, even when that might be the better option.

I agree. I always throw baits that are ind of large but smaller ones will also catch big fish. The other night my buddy and I caught 8 bass that weighed right around 30 pounds in only 40 degree water, biggest 5 went 20+. It was a fun night but a 40 inch pike knocked my 300 dollar rod off the deck and I watched it sink to the bottom but someone gave it to me and it was a P.O.S. lol  :)