Sign in to follow this  
Muad Dib

3/8 oz jig hook up problem?

hey fellas, ive been using bigger jigs for flipping and pitching 3/8oz in particular. ive been feel the taps then set the hook like usual . fish will be on then either A. the hook will fall out or pop out of the fish within the first 2-5 seconds or  B. ill miss the hook up after the tap.   i cut down the weed guard. unfortuanetly it took a suicide jig to find out how much i could cut off before i got hung up :'( so now when i feel the tap i wait another half second and then slam the mother ! its been working but im still missing fish now and then. by the way its pre-swawn temp at 54 degress. any advice.?

t

Try fanning out the bristles to cover a wider area. It gives you a wider are of coverage to prevent hang ups and less resistance for the hook on hook sets.  

Judging by your picture you look like a decent sized guy so I'm guessing you're hitten 'em hard enough. 3/8 oz isn't really that big. Sometimes that's just the way it is in cold water. Lighter bites not getting the whole bait. After the hookset keep up the pressure and hit em a second time. Might help.

Are you using a trailer of some type?  I learned the hard way that I was using to big of a jig trailer.  I was using a 5" twin tail grub and when the bass hit the lure they were only taking a small portion of the tails and not any of the jig or hook.  I also presume this could be a problem with using chunks as well.

Interested to here some from the more experienced jig fishers.

Later, :)

Typically in the spring I find that giving them anytime will result in missed fish.  In fact the past several days pre-fishing as well as tournament day you had to hit them as soon as you felt the bite and they always had the jig (bait) completely in there mouth.  I feel that in the spring (pre-spawn and spawn) a hook set as soon as the bite is felt is needed to get consistent hook ups.  This requires the rod to be in correct position all the time.

Hope this helps.

Steve

few things come to mind

Too hard hookset

too light hookset

Limp rod

line streaching

Drag too tight or too lose

slack in the line on hookset

dull hook

I'm not a huge braid fan, but I have better hookups using it when pitching jigs.

I've also conditioned myself to try to gently lift up a little with the rod tip feeling for weight (or the lack of) before I try to slam them. Not always an easy thing.

There's some good info above and I'll add a few tips of my own.

1.  Do you use a scent?  If not, try using a crawfish scent.

2.  I prefer at least a 7' M/H rod, preferably Heavy action.

3.  100% Fluorocarbon line - 15 pound minimum.

In addition to those, I would say maybe try changing colors of the jig you're using.  You are getting bit so it's getting their attention, but if they're not committing 100% to eating the jig, then you might need to do some refining.  

In most cases there are two colors that tend to work pretty much everywhere - black/blue and/or green pumpkin if you have grass.  

Hope it helps, jigs are cool baits to fish, there is a learning curve though judging by the size of the bass in your pic, you got that covered already.  :)

What gear are you using(line, rod etc)? I use my flippin stick for jigs on 20lb fluoro and don't set the hook any harder than i would a worm. No problems yet.

For me, it's all about the hookset, and keeping alot of positive pressure on the fish. When you get the bite, take absolutely no time in setting the hook. Reel the slack and slam her. Most of the time, my jig bites come when the jig is falling. Watch your line because you may be missing the fish due to you not setting the hook quickly enough right when it bites. The fish could have the thing in it's mouth for 4-5 seconds before you notice. Just always watch your line, and if you feel any weight, set the hook.

where are the hooks when you do catch the fish?  Are they deep?  If most of the hooks are deep and you are missing fish, I would guess the rod is too soft.  If they are hooked barely in the lip, most of the fish you are missing are only taking the trailer...