Sign in to follow this  
Cup

1st Time Smallie Fishing

Some friends and myself are taking a 3 day float trip down the Greenbrier River in West Virgina, I've been away from fishing for quite sometime. I need to get some new tacke and equipment. What type of rod and reel combo and line wt. would you suggest, and what type of lures should I have on hand. I will probably be buying most of this stuff from Bass Pro, so if you have cat# that would be great. The trip will be taling place at the end of May and I'm really looking forward to it.  I've been browsing this forum and its a big help, but I'm having a hard time narrowing down what I need. Thanks for any Help.

wow im taking a 3 day trip down the south branch of the potomac the first weekend in may      the last time i went down i used a zoom superfluke almost the entire time       the best line and rod i would say is 10 lb test flouro on a medium or medium high spinning rod   that was in august   like i said im going in early may and im not sure what is going to work  but i can tell you as soon as i get back   just PM me if u have any questions on anything   i cant wait float trips are fun

As far as tackle I would keep it simple... tubes w/tube jig, crankbaits(various depth) and spinnerbaits. you may want to consider a buzz bait or two as well. As far as colors I would keep it simple as well, pumkin green, watermelon seed, etc. these are all natural colors. color of spinnerbaits, I generally throw white/Chartruese. but there are a billion colors. Just remember there are a ton of baits out there that are all "the best" and it can blow your mind!! :-X Keep to the basics and you should do well and have a blast!!! Good luck! ;)

Throw senkos.  Its easier.  Good luck.

What he said.  I duno about the rivers down there but when I float the pemi, senkos do the trick!  

Thanks fpr all the help. I have another question. Is flyfishing for smallies a good idea. If so what kind of flies do you use?

Welcome aboard!

I suggest trying a Yamamoto Single Tail Hula Grub, 5" grub, 3 1/2" Mizmo tube (Kent's Classic, squash green) and the Fat Ika. The hard baits that work best are jerkbaits: Lucky Craft Pointer 78 or 100; Rapala Husky Jerk , silver & blue; Rapala X-Rap in white.

8-)

when i fish in may in michigan the best lure by far is a white terminator T1 spinnerbait nickel blade. usually the smallies where i am from are either spawning or in post spawn just guarding the fry. i wade down the river and throw as close to any wood or rock close to the bank reel right through the fry and they will smash the spinnerbait. good luck