Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

clearing painted jig eyes?

is there an easy way? i bought some cheap-o jigs at boaters world just to try but all of the eyes are painted.

Eyes on a jig are for the angler, not the fish.  Don't bother, as it won't matter.  I've caught fish on both sighted and blind jigs.  Really.  ;)

Eyes on a jig are for the angler, not the fish. Don't bother, as it won't matter. I've caught fish on both sighted and blind jigs. Really. ;)

ah , maybe i have a terrible choice of words. not the eyes that are painted on the sides of the jig , but the eye (if thats whats its called) where your line goes through.

the paint they use on these things are super thick.

I always just use another hook, they do sell a tool for such things, but I've never seen the need to spend money when another hook works just as well.

I bought a tool for ice fishing jigs because many of those come with painted over eyes, the tool was somewhere around $.99 from wallyworld and works wonders, imo its a lot easier than using a point of a hook, but everyone is different and what works for me i'm sure isnt the optimal solution, just giving you another option.

I use another hook.  The "jig busters" are alright, but sometimes chafe the metal - not good for the knot.

if rick astley uses a hook , then im all for it.  ;D

last time i tried the hook , i almost snagged my finger. ill try it again with a steadier hand.

Before using the hook, bust the paint up with needle nose pliers. Now the hook won't skid off of the smooth paint and into your finger.

Before using the hook, bust the paint up with needle nose pliers. Now the hook won't skid off of the smooth paint and into your finger.

hm.. good thought , but wouldnt the roughed up paint/lead that is left be a problem for the line? obviously you'd smooth it up some. ill find a way.

thanks guys.  ;)

Good luck using a hook if the jigs are powder coated well. That stuff is like iron. If its absolutely not going anywhere with normal techniques... round them all up and get a candle and small diameter sewing needle. Candles are nice because they provide constant source of heat, and you dont have to keep firing up a lighter or something. Light the candle and heat the needle until its very hot (becareful, the needle will warm all the way through... I like the kind with the plastic balls on the end for this). Immediate poke the overpainted eyelet with the heated needle and it should melt right through it. Reheat the needle and repeat with every jighead. This also leaves a smooth melted finish so its not cutting your line. I do this all the time when I powder coat all of my special crappie jigs ;)

Note:  Probably should do this in a well ventilated area.

if its cured powder use a candle and  heat the very tip of the eyelet up and then use the hook method or a small knive blade and spin it in there.  Just be careful.

If its breakable paint the pliers, hook deal works the best if you dont have an eye buster.

hm.. good thought , but wouldnt the roughed up paint/lead that is left be a problem for the line? obviously you'd smooth it up some. ill find a way.

The object is to crack the paint. If you don't go nuts with the pliers, you won't booger up the eye. They also sell non - serrated pliers (smooth jaw)

thanks guys. ;)