Sign in to follow this  
bunchdouglas

Salt impregnation

Just curious...

Seeing as how many soft plastics come as "Salt Impregnated," and usually have a few grains of salt present in their pouches, I began wondering...

Does anyone ADD salt to the pouches?  Obviously not iodized salt, but Kosher or Sea Salt?  I usually transfer soft plastics - Senkos, etc... - to other baggies to organize them, and wonder if adding some salt may give them an extra boost.

Lemme know if anyone does this, and if it works or not.

Thanks!

Nope I don't do it, but I have thought about it.  All of my baits I use have plenty of salt already in them so I just leave it for the french fries.

Not sure it would last more than a cast or two.  I mainly use plastics that I make and most of them I cook with salt.  Interested in seeing other opinions.

Salt is added for the most part to add weight, not taste.  Adding salt to the outside of the lure would do nothing, as it would fall off as soon as it hit the water.

Salt is added for the most part to add weight, not taste. Adding salt to the outside of the lure would do nothing, as it would fall off as soon as it hit the water.

Bingo! Right on the money.

The right amount of weight will give the lure a shimmy falling action.Taking the senko for example.

wonder if adding some salt may give them an extra boost.

The only thing that 's going to get a boost are the salt grains, most of them will fly away at warp speed from the bait into the air the moment you cast the bait.

From what 's left of the salt grains that didn 't fly away when you cast the bait will follow one of this routes:

A) they will fall from the bait when it touches the water.

:D Those who survived the fly and the landing on the water who were stuck to the bait like an Alabama tick will dissolve purty fast as the bait falls so by the time it hits the bottom there will be no more salt grains.

If you think about it, "impregnated" implies that it is actually a part of the materials that the bait is made from.

The salt in the package is really for marketing so people can say..."hmm, this is better, look at ALL THAT SALT. There's hardly any in this brand!"

Most hand poured worms were packaged with added salt and oil. The hot hand poured worms were also laid on a salted surface to cool. Dissolved salt brine mixed with fish oil is injected into some worms. The amount of salt in most worms doesn't off set the specific gravity of the oils enough to over come the floatation of the plastic, so the worms tend to float or become neutral and suspend in water.

Senko's are heavily loaded with salt crystals to make them sink.

Salt taste like blood to bass and is a positive scent.  

Most hand pours today stopped using adding salt to their packages and use salt brine mixed into the plastic.

WRB

Salt is added for the most part to add weight, not taste. Adding salt to the outside of the lure would do nothing, as it would fall off as soon as it hit the water.

Partially correct. Salt does add taste. Blood is very salty. The baits you buy with salt on the outside might claim they are salt impregnated but might not be.

Salt on the outside will wash off after first. Afterall, it's what's inside that counts. Sinkrate on salt impregnated baits is controlled by amount of salt added.

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.

Dissolved salt brine is water soluble and can't dissolve into  the oil unless some kind of emulsifying agent is used.