Sign in to follow this  
Fishing Rhino

No more, never again.

I must stop reading this fishing tackle section of the forum.

I've got a bunch of baits/lures that have yet to get wet. I'm not sure they ever will.

Why did I get them?

As a result of perusing this section and reading the glowing reports of some baits and the yeas of other members regarding same.

Go to the BPS web site, check on the bait, and sure enough, the ratings there concur with the reviews here.

Good enough. Order a couple, or a few, in more than one color and size of course.

Here's my problem. When the fishing is slow, I figure that's a bad time to give them a try. When they are jumping in the boat, why try something different?

The reality is that when the old standbys are not working, it's the time to try something different, and, when the fish are hitting anything that lands in the water, what better time to find out just how effective they are?

It's all in the perspective folks. It's all in the perspective. We talk ourselves into or out of all sorts of things, with little rhyme or reason to our arguments.

Oh well, that's what makes each of us unique, and interesting.

So, no more, never again!  For the time being.

The Bait Monkey loves you.  ;D

The Bait Monkey loves you. ;D

That d**n Bait Monkey has a lot of accomplices.

When I decide to try something new I take that new bait with me and that is all I take.  I find it forces me to give something new a real shot. Did the same thing a few months ago with jigs and all I had on my rod for a few days was a jig. Forced me to learn to use the bait in a variety of different ways and I am glad I did it.

I am afraid if I did not do this I would not give anything new a fair shot.  ;D

i as well have many baits that never got a chance to shine, they've just sat around for years and years ........ looking as new as the day i bought them........

with that said, i also have many baits that when i bought them looked all to awesome not to fish...... those are the impulsive buys that usually get the most use from me.  the ones that can hold their own when i look at them, that is what gives me the confidence to throw them..... and sure enough, if i toss them long enough, they can and do work.

as for the ones that can't hold their own just by laying eyes on them .... their fate has been sealed for quite some time :D

I've got a bunch of baits/lures that have yet to get wet. I'm not sure they ever will.

Why did I get them?

As a result of perusing this section and reading the glowing reports of some baits and the yeas of other members regarding same.

Go to the BPS web site, check on the bait, and sure enough, the ratings there concur with the reviews here.

Good enough. Order a couple, or a few, in more than one color and size of course.

Here's my problem. When the fishing is slow, I figure that's a bad time to give them a try. When they are jumping in the boat, why try something different?

The reality is that when the old standbys are not working, it's the time to try something different, and, when the fish are hitting anything that lands in the water, what better time to find out just how effective they are?

It's all in the perspective folks. It's all in the perspective. We talk ourselves into or out of all sorts of things, with little rhyme or reason to our arguments.

So, no more, never again! For the time being.

Hey F.R.

I think I can kelp you get rid of some of that guilt that is nagging you. Send whatever you don't want to me and I will make sure it gets put to good use.  ;D

Maybe Contact Low Budget Hooker and make a donation to the Cast for Kids he is is involved in.

I know what you mean, but I will say this:

I took a trip this year to a lake that I've always struggled at.  Never caught more than 4 fish in a day.  Never caught anything over 2#'s.   The weather was horrible and none of my go-to baits where getting any love.  So after a short hissy fit, I looked into my box and pulled out a tube.  I've NEVER caught a fish on a tube, and believe it or not, to that day I had NEVER thrown a tube, yet I bought them and they have sat in my box for a year or so.  Anyway I tied one on and ended up having the best day I've ever had at this lake.  Landed 10+ and a few over 3#'s.

So with that said, when the go-to baits aren't doing their job and the day already sucks, why not throw something random on.   I figure that way, at least your learning how to fish new baits and are getting something out of a crappy day of fishing.  Just my .02.

if they are soft plastics...night time is a good time to try them out...catch fish on them at night and it will give you the confidence in them to try em in the day time...

Im feeling you pain Rhino!  I gave a lot of stuff to the giveaway program from my stash,as always. I have almost 1/2 as much back in volume :-/

I just recently sold about $200 worth of lures and tackle that i never used! I just left the stuff i catch bass on and always have. If it aint broke.............................................

Why did I get them?

So, no more, never again! For the time being.

Hey F.R.

I think I can kelp you get rid of some of that guilt that is nagging you. Send whatever you don't want to me and I will make sure it gets put to good use. ;D

Maybe Contact Low Budget Hooker and make a donation to the Cast for Kids he is is involved in.

That's a very kind offer.  Let me think about it.

Uhhhhmmmmm, uhhhhhh, hmmmmm.  I'll pass on it for now, but don't think I don't appreciate it.

I know what you mean, but I will say this:

I took a trip this year to a lake that I've always struggled at. Never caught more than 4 fish in a day. Never caught anything over 2#'s. The weather was horrible and none of my go-to baits where getting any love. So after a short hissy fit, I looked into my box and pulled out a tube. I've NEVER caught a fish on a tube, and believe it or not, to that day I had NEVER thrown a tube, yet I bought them and they have sat in my box for a year or so. Anyway I tied one on and ended up having the best day I've ever had at this lake. Landed 10+ and a few over 3#'s.

So with that said, when the go-to baits aren't doing their job and the day already sucks, why not throw something random on. I figure that way, at least your learning how to fish new baits and are getting something out of a crappy day of fishing. Just my .02.

I was like that regarding jigs until this year.

Determined to give them a real shot, and voila after some trial and error with retrieving, I started catching bass.  Plenty of them and good average size.

I don't know why they work.  To me they resemble a hook that has snagged a bunch of weed.  But work they do.

I've got to do the same with crank baits, jerk baits, slash baits.  

Did well with the Storm Wild Eye soft swimbaits last year, but nada with hard bait like Rattletraps, Rapalas, Mann's minus, etc.

I know the problem is with me, not the baits.  Just gotta get 'em figured out.

When I decide to try something new I take that new bait with me and that is all I take. I find it forces me to give something new a real shot. Did the same thing a few months ago with jigs and all I had on my rod for a few days was a jig. Forced me to learn to use the bait in a variety of different ways and I am glad I did it.

I am afraid if I did not do this I would not give anything new a fair shot. ;D

Smartest post I've read.

Everything sold catches fish, you need to give it a chance and learn how to use it.

When I decide to try something new I take that new bait with me and that is all I take. I find it forces me to give something new a real shot. Did the same thing a few months ago with jigs and all I had on my rod for a few days was a jig. Forced me to learn to use the bait in a variety of different ways and I am glad I did it.

I am afraid if I did not do this I would not give anything new a fair shot. ;D

I agree with Mrs. M., Great idea ! It forces you to concentrate on that

one new bait. It'll sure cut down on all the tackle clutter in the boat.