Sign in to follow this  
dulouz

Buying Used Boats?

I am getting close to buying a used jon boat. I found one that is the size I want and has a motor in hp range I need. I don't know anything about boats, so what can you tell me to help me out so I don't get ripped off?

What brand, size, & motor please ;)

As far as the boat, a clean title is good. The boat shouldnt leak. If you can, fill it up with water from a hose and see if any leaks exist. If it's riveted check for any sheared off rivits near the bottom caused from beaching or hitting rocks. If it's welded look for stress buckles near the seams. As far as the trailer, a clean title(here in IL. its a must) Look for any moderate to severe rust. Check wheel bearings by grabbing the top of the tire with both hands and try to wiggle it. If there is any play it could be bad bearings or additional damage. Make sure the lights work. If you can, inspect the bunks. As far as the motor, paperwork is good. Any kind of maintenance records. If you have the option to have a mechanic look at it that would be best. See if it will run on the lake, in a garbage can, or with earmuffs on. Get an oil sample from the lower unit. All you'll need is a slotted screwdriver. If the oil appears milky, theres water in it.

I just went thru this yesterday looking for a boat for my son. Ended up buying just the motor.

What slonezp said X2.......... See if the seller will actually take you out on the water and let you see how she runs. Run the boat yourself and see if it is a boat you are really interested in! Good luck. I still have my first jon boat that I purchased from a guy that fished the tx's we fish. Jonnys are sooo fun!!

Slonezp nailed it.

Also do a compression check on the motor. Its a $15 tool at the autoparts store. If both/all cylinders are not within 10% of each other pass on the motor. The motor is dead or will be soon.

Lots of articles on the subject: http://www.bassresource.com/bass-boats/

Actually test driving the boat, and a clean bill of health from YOUR mechanic is a big plus.

My search has taken a bizare turn... after consulting my wife and bank account I put things on hold, that is until my wife's uncle overheard me talking about boats. He said he had an old 13' boat in a shed, one he had never used. It is a 1960's Seamaid with a 1962 Sea King 3hp. I am working with a friend to get the motor running right, and hopefully can pick the rig up for around $200 or less. No trailer, but I can haul it in my truck until I find something. Thanks everyone for the help.