Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Fishing Jargon

I read a newspaper article that said Nike is replacing its “Just Do It” slogan on some tee-shirts with the phrases “Dope,” “Get High” and “Ride Pipe.”

The company said the terms are part of the lingo used by the skaters, snowboarders and participants in other extreme sports it is trying to target. Critics say the slogans endorse drug use.

What about our sport? Do you think we would purchase tee shirts that read:

I Love My Wacky Worm

My Worm is 10 Inches Long

Shaky Head – When Hand Trembling is a Good Thing

Bite Me!

Yes, we have had a previous post with lots of funny entries about our sport that only bass fishermen would understand and others would be offended.

There is nothing offensive about the above four slogans in bass fishing. On the other hand, try wearing one of those above slogans to school or in public and see what happens.

The use of specific sport jargon in the extreme sports industry is feeling the heat. Should be interesting to watch this saga unfold and to see what happens. :)

Those phrases are pretty dope bro.biggrin.gif

"Ride Pipe"?

Would be fitting for the parades this weekend in NYC and ChiTown.

Bigger worms catch bigger fish

Masterbaiter

Jerk it with finesse

I'd hit that

"Jerk 'til it hurts" with a picture of a Pointer or Xrap under it. I say jerk till it hurts then switch hands! (left handed with a baitcaster, right handed with a spinning rod). ;)

Good for Nike. They don't let public opinion push them around, regardless of its impact.

The top honcho also stood by Tiger Woods when that scandal broke. I remember him saying in an interview that the scandal would not be a blip on the radar screen in a year, and that Tiger would be back to dominating the PGA.

That has worked out well for Nike.

It's an admirable thing for a person to stick to their convictions, but it sure isn't wise for a company that depends on the public to buy their products to deliberately offend others.

While a part of me finds political correctness offensive, It's never wise to offend existing and potential customers over controversial language.

Gentlemen, please choose your words wisely. This thread is very close to being locked.

Mike

I was wrong, Nike pulled the shirts down. lame.

Guess they could read the handwriting on the wall. "Da mn the torpedos, full speed ahead." is not always prudent. Especially when it impacts the bottom line.

It was a wise business decision. Nothing more, nothing less.

Guess they could read the handwriting on the wall. "Da mn the torpedos, full speed ahead." is not always prudent. Especially when it impacts the bottom line.

It was a wise business decision. Nothing more, nothing less.

They said it was not because of Menino threatening them, but because they launched a new surfing line. All I know is that there are bigger fish to fry than worrying about some t-shirts.

They said it was not because of Menino threatening them, but because they launched a new surfing line. All I know is that there are bigger fish to fry than worrying about some t-shirts.

The purpose of advertising is to increase sales, not alienate consumers. As far as I'm concerned, Mumbles Menino is a windbag. Whoever dreamt up this ill fated advertising campaign is in the same class as the nitwits that dreamt up New Coke and discontinued the original version, only to have to bring it back as Classic Coke and eventually flush the New Coke down the drain.

Maybe Nike thought it was cool to use the street jargon, and maybe it was. So cool it got a cold reception in the marketplace. Some commercials are ground breaking while others break ground only to be buried in that ground. While Mumbles was the first significant voice to speak out against those T shirts, I suspect Nike got enough negative comments from the general public to scrub the deal.

Truth is, there are T shirts and other clothing with far worse things on them. See them almost every day. But the sellers don't also market apparel and sporting goods to the general public as Nike does. They market the T shirts to a particular niche. They have no big picture.

I wanna put my worm in a large mouth