Sign in to follow this  
BRONZEBACK_ADDICT

Crankbait Setup Advice

I have a Curado 50E spooled with 8 lb flourocarbon on a 6 '6 medium light Crucial. This past week-end I was throwing sqaurebill cranks on it and caught alot of fish, but also had a couple come unbuttoned. Does anyone think that I should change to mono or use a different rod for this application?

I'm throwing primarily onto rocky structure and like the sensitivity of the graphite rod. I also have a 7'3 med heavy Kistler Mg...would that be a better option or should I get a glass rod?

I usually have a spinning rod in my hand, so any help is appreciated.

I dont think you need to switch to mono, using a ML especially with the smaller squarebills is going to give you plenty of "play" in the rod to play him out and keep him buttoned up. I think the problem is you might be having a little more trouble getting him buttoned up with the ML.

I would maybe switch to atleast a M, preferably a MH with a fast taper to it. You can go down in taper to a med-fast taper if you want to help keep them buttoned up if you want but I like the fast taper for the shallow guys.

And i'd say definitely stick to graphite for any non-deep cranking. Try out your Kistler. You wont know if it works until you try it ;)

If you're looking to buy another rod though, i'd suggest the Powell Max Square Bill rod. You can get it at Tackle Warehouse for only 140 bones too! Although i'm not sure of your price range if your looking to buy another.

Square bills are at there best throwing them into cover that you would think you might not get them back. It's no place for light line, small hooks, and underpowered rods. I toss them them on a MH powered, fast action, 6'9" Kistler Mag TS "All purpose special" with a Citica 201D with the drag locked down, and 30lb braid. All my square bills get there stock hooks changed to Mustad KVD's, which is a heavy wire treble hook. I lose very few fish on this set up. It's also a great multi-purpose set up, it also see's spinner bait, buzz bait, topwater, and senko duty.

I fyou're not throwing your cranks into heavy cover, your setup is fine. No matter what you're using, you simply will not land evry fish you hook on a crankbait. Just the way it is.

Going to mono will not be much of change. When throwing squrebills, you not fishing deep enough to see the flouro advantage, wich is getting your cranks a little bit deeper. And, no matter what the propoganda says, flouro stretches as much as mono. The difference is, flouro does not recover from being stretched as well as mono does. If flouro is working for you, there's no need to change.

Two simple suggestions: make sure your hooks are sticky sharp. Change them out if they're not. And, you might go up to #10 line. You'll lose a litle distance, but you'll get a better hookset.

No, I don´t think your rod is too light for cranks, you can fish cranks, in practical terms, with any rod power you like. Not every fish you catch with a crank will be landed.

The chances of you not having a good hookset are greater if the hooks on your cranks are of heavier gauge wire and you are fishing with a less powerful and thinner line, those lighter lines and less powerful rods get better hooksets with thin wire hooks. Also, be sure your hooks are razor sharp, when the hook is razor sharp the fish literally hooks itself.

I use a st.croix avid 7' med-heavy mod-fast and I love it. I also use braid which is supposed to be a big no no but I haven't had a problem. I love the sensitivity I get and it is so easy to tell when my bait isn't running right or if there is the slightest change in action. the smaller diameter line also helps me with casting distance.

No, I don´t think your rod is too light for cranks, you can fish cranks, in practical terms, with any rod power you like. Not every fish you catch with a crank will be landed.

The chances of you not having a good hookset are greater if the hooks on your cranks are of heavier gauge wire and you are fishing with a less powerful and thinner line, those lighter lines and less powerful rods get better hooksets with thin wire hooks. Also, be sure your hooks are razor sharp, when the hook is razor sharp the fish literally hooks itself.

what he said.

I disagree...for squarebills I recommend a MH/Mod-Fast rod. It just gives more more power to pull the fish out of heavy cover and it also lets you bury the hooks deeper.

Thanks for all the response. I should clarify that I'm not throwing into heavy cover. I'm mainly throwing onto chunk rock shoreline & points. From the advice I've been given, I think I'll start by changing out my hooks to an owner fine wire and maybe up a size. I may also try going to 10 lb test too.

I'm guessing that I either missed or had fish come off on maybe 15 percent of my bites which I now realize isn't terrible. I just want to dial it in as much as possible.

Again, thanks for the help.

Goods hooks will help, I changed a Rapala DT Thugs hooks from the sure set hooks(should be named sure snag) to KVDs and landed all 12 smallmouth I hooked plus I never hung up in a couple hours fishing around rock and wood cover due to the KVDs short shank and the Thugs bill.

I use a Kistler magnesium 6'-9" MH rod and a Kistler z bone medium for my square bill cranks. Spooled with 12lb test line and they both are great rods for this application. I'll go with the MH if I'm in thicker cover. If you are only losing 15% of your fish on cranks then that's not very bad at all. Personally I would rather use my z bone medium, more flex and no worry about back bone when fighting a big fish. Good luck and good fishing.