Sign in to follow this  
GratefulBass

Reel For Pitchin'

I've been using one of my old reels for pitching but she is old and tired and I need to upgrade. What reel do u guys use for pitching? I've heard several people say Diawa reels with "twitching bars" work well. What do u think?

If you do a seach there have been a couple recent threads about pitching reels. What model reel do you have? Servicing may bring it back to life or even better.

There are tons of topic on this page already about it. Your reel for pitching doesn't need to be a gem. Twitchin' Bars are a weak link and are known to break. I use a Shimano Castaic for Pitching.

I just bought a quantum accurist on bay for $40. It has a flippin switch which I wanted. Just got the reel today and it feels pretty good, for $40 it feels great....

Stay away from the Diawa megaforce reels. A fried of my wife who buys overstock and return auctions to sell on ebay recently got a lot from Gander Mountain. There were a ton of return reels and she brought them to me to see if I could fix them up for her to sell. There were alot of different reels with several different problems but the two reels that stuck out as the most prolific in the batch were the skeet reese reels and diawa megaforce (the diawa with the twitching bar). I'll tell you now, after ordering spare parts and working on a bunch of both, these reels are both junk. The most common issue on both of them is that the pinion for the spool on the gear side just goes all loopy and falls out of the slot for the spool pin. No fix for that. After working on both then taking to the pond to cast around to see how they were doing, even if you fix it, it just pops back out eventually. There is a reason that both the skeet reese casting reel and the diawa megaforce were way higher in numbers in that return pile. I will never have one of either...period.

Curado e7. The shimano line is built to last, they are very light, and smooth.

The 7:1 gear ratio will allow you to pick up line quickly when you get a hit.

Curado 200E7 for me also. Smooth and picks up line fast if a fish is coming at you or if you just want to reel in quickly to make another pitch. Personally I hate the flipping switches and see no use for a twitching bar. If I want to move the bait I'll use my rod to move it.

The Curado "E" Series got changed to the "G" Series correct?

i use a 7:1.1 bps PQ for pitchin. its been a geat reel

I have both the older model and the newer model of the quantum accurist

I use a Quantum Energy PT SS. The 7.3 gear ratio is very nice. The reel is also very free when set right, I can pitch a considerable distance with it.

ardent f700 all the way. designed by denny brauer, the king of flippin n pitchin n its designed specifically for the technique. love it and wudnt use n e thing else for flippin n pitchin.