I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationMissouri
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted February 12 2013 - 12:46 PM

Don't try to lift a hawg into the boat with it.  I am always afraid of breaking a rod doing that.

Catching dinks in Missouri

#17 upnorthbassin

upnorthbassin

You can see my tiny subtle movements?!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted February 12 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have a couple of SC Medium power rods. They are both fast action. I think they are a good all around power rod....almost like a MH but not quite. I feel like the Avid series has a little softer tip than the premier rods but still has a good backbone behind it for a M rod. I rarely if ever go frogging so I'm no expert but I don't know if they would be ideal for that based on what most people describe as ideal.

#18 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,050 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Silver Lake (WNY)
    Conesus Lake (WNY)

Posted February 12 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have a couple of SC Medium power rods. They are both fast action. I think they are a good all around power rod....almost like a MH but not quite. I feel like the Avid series has a little softer tip than the premier rods but still has a good backbone behind it for a M rod. I rarely if ever go frogging so I'm no expert but I don't know if they would be ideal for that based on what most people describe as ideal.

I actually find the opposite to be true......for me. I am not saying I am right and your wrong, or I am wrong or your right, because stuff like this is subjective. But the Avids I have in the same length/power/action as rods from the other series I have or have had, from the Mojo, Triumph, Premier, and LTB all seem "stiffer" and faster in action than the rest.

I am not afraid to suck.

#19 jeffjtj

jeffjtj

Kiss My Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCentral Illinois
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake: Emiquon National Wildlife Refuge River: Hennipen Canal

Posted February 12 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have the St. Croix Avid 7'1 MH. For 186 bucks, this rod is sensitive. Its not stiff and its not the most sensitive rod they have but this rod good for finesse. If you looking for stiff rod go with the premier then. I use this rod for frogging as well on occasions.

#20 upnorthbassin

upnorthbassin

You can see my tiny subtle movements?!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs

Posted February 12 2013 - 06:01 PM

I actually find the opposite to be true......for me. I am not saying I am right and your wrong, or I am wrong or your right, because stuff like this is subjective. But the Avids I have in the same length/power/action as rods from the other series I have or have had, from the Mojo, Triumph, Premier, and LTB all seem "stiffer" and faster in action than the rest.

I know it is somewhat subjective but I think the avid throws lighter weight better because of the softer tip. It's also rated down to 3/16ths versus say the triumph which is 1/4 for the 7' M. I don't think either is really much faster than the other but that's just how they feel to me.

#21 Goose52

Goose52

Open wide and say aahhh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationCumberland Plateau
    Tennessee
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs

Posted February 12 2013 - 08:19 PM

I think the OP already got the answer he wanted but I'll just make a comment about the 7'MF Avid vs. the Premier.  I own both. I think all agree that St. Croix rods fish heavier than their rating. I bought the Avid first and immediately noticed that it fished "heavier" than the other two 7'MF rods I had at the time.  Then, I bought the Premier based on my experience with the Avid. For ME - the Premier is noticably "stouter" than the Avid.  The lure rating even gives a hint of that. The Avid is rated up to 5/8 ounce baits (typical of many 7'MF rods), the Premier is rated to 3/4 ounce.  So, I think the Premier might handle frogging duties just a bit better than the Avid would.

One thing for sure, I now have five 7'MF rods from three different manufacturers...and none of them fish the same... :lol:

(Premier on top, Avid below - note the lure ratings).

gallery_25379_576_151047.jpg

Just fish...

#22 Christian M

Christian M

Glastank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationToms River, NJ
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Manasquan Reservior, Mercer Lake, & Lake Assunpink

Posted February 13 2013 - 07:49 AM

Any and all input helps guys, Goose52, the rod on top in the photo is the exact same premier rod I have. BTW I also own a Rage 7'1" MH F, and In comparison, the Premier 7'M F feels a bit more stout than the Rage, and the tip on the Premier is noticeably softer than the Rage. That being said, My St. Criox Rage is arguably my favorite rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users