bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Want Sponsors?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
213 replies to this topic

#16 Root beer

Root beer

Jamaica is alright.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted February 08 2007 - 09:49 PM

Not to sound cocky, but I understand that business side I really do. I just wish I can make a decent resume and get notice. Anyone wants to email me what a good resume should look like for attracting sponsors?

What exactly are the sponsors looking for? Looking for what I can do for company, exposure I recieve, my maturality, and personality? Is that what sponsors looking for?

I'm stuck on trying to type and have a good organize resume. I've just written down rough drafts and stuff, but it not ready to be offical.

It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few
things we need in order to be perfectly happy.-- Horace Kephart

#17 senko_77

senko_77

Professional Model/Fisherman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,298 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 12:10 AM

Not to sound cocky, but I understand that business side I really do. I just wish I can make a decent resume and get notice. Anyone wants to email me what a good resume should look like for attracting sponsors?

What exactly are the sponsors looking for? Looking for what I can do for company, exposure I recieve, my maturality, and personality? Is that what sponsors looking for?

I'm stuck on trying to type and have a good organize resume. I've just written down rough drafts and stuff, but it not ready to be offical.

All sponsors see when they look at you is a large $100 bill.  The goal of them sponsoring you is to get them more business.  IMO, angling skill has nothing to do with it.  Selling yourself has everything to do with it.  If you cant throw anything but a zebco, but you can sell 1000 packs of GYCB senkos at a trade show, then your going to be sponsored over the guy who can put a jig in a thimble 20 yards away, but doesn't have marketing skills.  If your hellbent on sponsors, concentrate your efforts on how to effectively sell yourself.  

#18 JT Bagwell

JT Bagwell

I Love Bass Fishing!

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:09 AM

Senko77,
You got it man!!!

JT Bagwell

Follow me on Instagram http://Instagram.com/JTBagwell

Follow me on Twitter http://Twitter.com/JeremiahBagwell
Follow me on Facebook facebook.com/Bagwell

Also on Facebook Facebook.com/BagwellsBassTactics

#19 squid

squid

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted February 09 2007 - 11:45 AM

ALL THAT FROM A KID......... ;)........SMART KID........ 8-)
Product Sponsors:  
KidLizard Bait, LLC www.kidlizard.com
Save Phace, Inc. www.savephace.com
Solar Bat www.solarbat.com
Blue Lizard Sun Cream www.bluelizard.net
Shimano www.shimano.com
Gamma Tech. www.froghairfishing.com
Poor Boy's Baits www.poorboysbaits.com

#20 Banor

Banor

Your ID # is 10T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted February 13 2007 - 03:19 PM

Well said, Senko.

JT,

For me, when/if I ever begin actively seeking sponsorships I would hope that I wont need a blanket resume or have to introduce myself to a complete stranger and hope that he might be looking for an extra staffer.

When I do approach a prospective sponsor I want them to already know that I use their product and recognize me (even if only faintly) from some venue where I was already associated with their product.  I would hope that I had crossed a stage somewhere with a limit of fish and the MC asked me how I caught the limit and this prospective sponsor had seen it.  

I also dont believe in free advertising.  You wont see me with a logo plastered all over me hoping that company will pick me up.  If I wear a logo or actively talk about a product it will be because I have used it and am confident in it to the point that it has won me some money or given me a good measure of success.

This is why you have not seen me post a resume on this board or any other board for that matter.  When I write a resume I will know my target audience and tailor it so that they know it was written for them.  My mission statement will be wholeheartedly emphasizing how I will or have marketed THEIR product.  Not products in general.

Let's take a rod company for instance.  In my cover letter you wont see words like "your product" or "your baits".  You will see something like "this past season I won two tournaments caught on a limit anchored by the big bass for one tournament using your UXLC701MH.  When asked what contributed to my success I confidently gave credit to the sensitivity and power of this rod."

etc etc etc.

In a perfect scenerio I wouldnt be writing a cover letter I would be shaking a hand and asking "Dave" or "Bob" how his season is going this year and verbally communicating in a face to face what would be on my cover letter.

Just my take,

B

There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those who understand binary and those who dont.

"Have you no kind words to say to me before I ride away...?  I calculate not."

#21 basspro96

basspro96

Be The One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 07:51 PM

I am twelve years old first year in a bass club and I am looking for sponsors. For one I know the responsibilty it is to have a sponsor. Like senko said you have to know how to talk have good personality to in fishing terms "Get the fish to bite the bait" meaning the customer take your sales pitch. Ray Scott for example I do not know if any of you have read his book,but he is a perfect example he could sale anybody anything. He is a perfect candidate for a sponsorship. Bottom line is I would love to be a sponsored jr. angler. At my age to get sponsored you have to like to talk know what you are talking about and be a good sales person.Personally I can get anyone to buy anything.

#22 RobbyZ5001

RobbyZ5001

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 09:40 PM

The question you have to ask yourself is what can you do for the company. What can you offer them worth them spending time/money/effort in you? Why would they give you a second sniff? Show the companies that you can provide answers to those questions and you should have a sponsor.

#23 Low_Budget_Hooker

Low_Budget_Hooker

organic horticulture guru

• BassResource.com Writer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,467 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 08:00 AM

I am twelve years old first year in a bass club and I am looking for sponsors. For one I know the responsibilty it is to have a sponsor. Like senko said you have to know how to talk have good personality to in fishing terms "Get the fish to bite the bait" meaning the customer take your sales pitch. Ray Scott for example I do not know if any of you have read his book,but he is a perfect example he could sale anybody anything. He is a perfect candidate for a sponsorship. Bottom line is I would love to be a sponsored jr. angler. At my age to get sponsored you have to like to talk know what you are talking about and be a good sales person.Personally I can get anyone to buy anything.

The issue here is age.  Most sponsors do not want to enter into a contract with a minor.  

In all brutal honesty, a sponsor won't usually consider a youth till they make it to the JWC's.  This is the route I would take if I were you... but be prepared to have your parents handle the details and contracts.

www.TheNorthFace.com
www.Lunkerville.com
please visit www.castforkids.org

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right!

#24 Tin

Tin

Bass

• Floater
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,691 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 10:36 AM

The issue here is age. Most sponsors do not want to enter into a contract with a minor.

In all brutal honesty, a sponsor won't usually consider a youth till they make it to the JWC's. This is the route I would take if I were you... but be prepared to have your parents handle the details and contracts.

Yup, because JWC's equal publicity and LOTS of it. Some companies are even having an age limit. I talked to guys from the whole Booyah/Bomber comapny a few years back and they wont sign anyone till they are 21.

R.I.P. Jack "Fishfordollars" Yates

I Love BassResource!

#25 basspro96

basspro96

Be The One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 05:15 PM

well i have made it to both states this year won state in casting kids went to the semifinals I am determined to go to the JWC I am the president of my jr bass club so ya i do have alot of publicity i know i semi pro or pro i guess fisherman he could help me find some siminars and trade shows to advertise

#26 fishfordollars

fishfordollars

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,570 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 11:41 AM

The issue here is age. Most sponsors do not want to enter into a contract with a minor.

In all brutal honesty, a sponsor won't usually consider a youth till they make it to the JWC's. This is the route I would take if I were you... but be prepared to have your parents handle the details and contracts.

I think it is great for the 11-15 year olds to want to line up sponser ships...Remember the most important thing. You are not liable for your actions and you cannot sign a legal, binding document. Go stay in school and get an education.

Why fish Mexico when you have Lake Falcon.
Roll Tide!

#27 7magJake

7magJake

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 10:33 PM

I am 16 and I am looking into sponsorships for a pro- angler job I know I am going to pursue. bass master classic or bust. I am going to college and I am going to major in buissiness most likely fishing on a college team. I see that the youth of american fishing is good because we are younger and we will be around longer and at times we have better technology skills. The youth of american fishing is wanting sponsors because we are seriouis about something and sometimes it seems like a sponsor is the only one who will support us in our dreams. My parents think it is ridiculous I want to fish for a living, so basically they dont support me in my dream and they never really have for me or any of my three brothers. I wont be able to fish any JR tournaments but as soon as I turn 18 I will be fishing on a Amatuer level working my way to the bassmaster series.

#28 fishfordollars

fishfordollars

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • 5,570 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 09:22 PM

First off I'm 17 and I have experience in sales. ;)

Reason why I want to be sponsors is because I really love fishing. I want to compete in these tournament and since nobody hiring around here it hard for me to come up with money to get baits, gas, etc. All I wanted to do was do something for the company in exchange equipment to fish with.

I love business and sales I was hoping if I could gain a sponsor at this point in life it could look good on my college resume and future jobs. Even thought my future job is professional fishing, but I got to pay for that somehow so when I'm trying to get a job in marketing, advertising, or sales and they read that I've been sponsor or I'm currently am sponsored. My sponsor could tell them I do an excellent job in sales and marketing. Basically I'm doing this to learn business for future jobs, and to gain relationship with companies in the fishing business for when I get older and ready to pursue a career in Bass fishing on professional tour.

I'm just looking to gain long term relationship with companies for near future.

Am I making sense or should I try to re-exlain?

First things first. good for you for wanting something and expressing an intrest.
Second, if this is an example of your writing skills, you will need someone that knows how to build a paragraph,  the correct usage of plurals, pronouns, and composing legible, defined sentences.
Please do not take offense. You need to know that correctly communicating with an individual or company is the most important step in opening doors. Good luck
Why fish Mexico when you have Lake Falcon.
Roll Tide!

#29 Tin

Tin

Bass

• Floater
  • 6,691 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 09:35 PM

[quote author=7E716B707E776A7C777474796A6B180 link=1170689666/20#27 date=1201314157][quote author=564A5E555C535358515105043D0 link=1170689666/0#4 date=1170713160] You need to know that correctly communicating with an individual or company is the most important step in opening doors. Good luck [/quote]

Yup. Maybe a degree in Marketing with a minor in Communications?

R.I.P. Jack "Fishfordollars" Yates

I Love BassResource!

#30 Kimbro

Kimbro

Team Daiwa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted January 26 2008 - 10:56 PM

I think it is great that the select few young kids and teens on these forums have recognized their passion for fishing and want to pursue a career in professional fishing. I also think that they are seeking sponsorship because they have neither the financial means or support to finance their fishing plans. I feel it would be next to impossible for someone so young to garner a sponsor, but the fact that they are expressing interest at this age may put them light years ahead of most of us once they become young adults.

Personally, I would love to be a sponsored angler but my priorities, family and military life keep me from fishing as much as I feel is necessary to be competitive on the tournament circuit. If I were to seek out sponsorship it would only be from the companies I truly believe in such as Daiwa, GYCB, Lucky Craft etc. For instance, at my local lake I am approached routinely about my catches and have turned countless young and older fishermen alike onto GYCB. Why, because I know they flat out catch fish and if I can make a difference in somebody else's life it not only makes my day but it helps the sport we all love to grow.

Bottomline is I will most likely never be a sponsored tournament fisherman but I think it is great that some of today's youth have recognized their passion early and are trying to pursue their dream.

Joe