Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Centrifugal Brake Question

I READ THAT THE BRAKE DRUM NEEDS TO BE OILED? WOULDN'T THAT NEGATE THE BRAKING EFFECT?

At first clance it does sound counter-intuitive but lightly lubing the brake drum keeps the parts in good working condition and extends their life. The braking effect is much more subtle than say in a car where there is much more force applied. Oil on those would be another story.

It keeps the brakes from having too much friction, in turn scorching the metal and plastic, and causing damage to the parts.

In 28 yrs of reel service I have never lubed the brake drum/race on any reel.

Also have never seen this scorching effect stated above... :laugh5:

Keep the blocks, and ther post clean so they can easly move and you won't have any problems...... :Victory:

Tight Lines!   :fishing1:

• Like 2

Keep the blocks, and ther post clean so they can easly move and you won't have any problems...... :Victory:

I have never oiled mine either.  What I do is use semichrome on a QTip and clean them really good then wipe everything down with a soft rag.

• Like 1

It keeps the brakes from having too much friction, in turn scorching the metal and plastic, and causing damage to the parts.

Scorching and damage?  Must just be on Shimano's LOL......I'm with RM on this one, I've never seen this either and I work on reels too. :Sumo:  

Scorching and damage?  Must just be on Shimano's LOL......I'm with RM on this one, I've never seen this either and I work on reels too. :Sumo:  

Its not gonna happen overnight. Over a years use it will take its toll on the brake drum.If you have never seen this happen, well than people are maintaining their stufff right. Jst remember its common physics, its friction, friction causes damage, lube eases friction, proper lube less damage.

No oil on the drum or the shoes!  If you're seeing "scorching" it's probably oxidized oil.

Looks like your getting a difference of opinions here. I would go with the professionals point of view......

At first clance it does sound counter-intuitive but lightly lubing the brake drum keeps the parts in good working condition and extends their life. The braking effect is much more subtle than say in a car where there is much more force applied. Oil on those would be another story.

Abu recommended a very very light coat on the new S models

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just having fun about the Shimano thing Gambler. I know you love the Shimano's. I like them also but I am liking the 3rd generation Abu's a lot. 

Its not gonna happen overnight. Over a years use it will take its toll on the brake drum.If you have never seen this happen, well than people are maintaining their stufff right. Jst remember its common physics, its friction, friction causes damage, lube eases friction, proper lube less damage.

Yeah, I was just having fun about the Shimano thing Gambler. I know you love the Shimano's. I like them also but I am liking the 3rd generation Abu's a lot. 

I know you were joking, no worries, I'm used to it, lol.

I like to use a little oil on the drum. I've never seen any negative effects. It keeps it smooth and prevents the brakes from having too much of an effect.

I will continue to do it because I like it and I trust DVT's opinion, but based i the answers I guess it's sort of a preference thing.

I like to use a little oil on the drum. I've never seen any negative effects.

For you, probably not.  Based on your posts, you seem to take VERY good care of your tackle, and I bet you keep the drum clean.

I used to oil mine, but I noticed it caused inconsistencies. The drag would begin light then get heavier as the oil got slung out. I recently polished the drum using compound. I now .run it dry; it is consistent and has no buildup or scorching.

I know that Abu recommends a little oil on the drum. Idk for sure but assume it had to do with the pitch brake system, when engaged these pads remain in contact with the drum for the entire cast.

Spit on them if they squeak! :eyebrows:

lol

I used to oil mine, but I noticed it caused inconsistencies. The drag would begin light then get heavier as the oil got slung out. I recently polished the drum using compound. I now .run it dry; it is consistent and has no buildup or scorching.

Just an Aha moment... :Victory:

I run mine dry (shimano's) and every time I add a drop of oil to the spool bearing during the season (about once a month) I clean the drum.

I clean the drum with some isopropyl alcohol after heavy use, and then put a dab of oil on a q tip and lightly coat the drum. Abu garcia recommends this for the new S and STX.

I clean the drum with some isopropyl alcohol after heavy use, and then put a dab of oil on a q tip and lightly coat the drum. Abu garcia recommends this for the new S and STX.

I'm sure every manufacturer recommends to do that. It only makes sense, but to each his own.