loudcherokee

Am I Damaging My Reel?

Occasionally when throwing buzz baits or when I want to burn a spinnerbait close to the surface, I will begin cranking my reel just before the lure hits the surface of the water. Sometimes my baitcaster objects to this by clicking quite loudly and making lots of noise. Basically, Im engaging the reel while the spool is still spinning.

Is this causing damage to the reel?

LC

Short answer is yes. Anytime you use a product outside of what it's intended purpose is for, you will cause excess wear and tear. Imagine throwing your pickup into park running 75 down the Hwy.

If you want to stop the bait use your thumb on the spool.

got to love spinning reels for this you can just slap the bail over and start reeling anytime you want lol

Short answer is yes. Anytime you use a product outside of what it's intended purpose is for, you will cause excess wear and tear. Imagine throwing your pickup into park running 75 down the Hwy.

If you want to stop the bait use your thumb on the spool.

X2

I kinda figured that was the case. I try not to do it often. Gotta learn how to stop it with my thumb.

LC

I often just stop the spool with my thuimb and start to crank. Takes the stress off the reel and instantly begins the retrieve.

When I cast a buzzbait my left hand comes in and stops the spool with my thumb as I am switching hands and then the right hand starts to crank. Usually I can start it moving towards me before it touches the water. 

• Like 1

Gotta learn how to stop it with my thumb.

LC

Push thumb down on spool.  :teeth3:

Just yanking your chain.  I have been having the same problem lately.  Caught lure on object, yet didn't clamp down with the thumb even tho I knew what had to be done.  Backlash city.  :sad78:

If you have to ask, you probably are.

Occasionally when throwing buzz baits or when I want to burn a spinnerbait close to the surface, I will begin cranking my reel just before the lure hits the surface of the water. Sometimes my baitcaster objects to this by clicking quite loudly and making lots of noise. Basically, Im engaging the reel while the spool is still spinning.

LC

The noise you are hearing is the pinion gear trying to engage the pin on the spool while it is still spinning,  not a good thing.

When I cast a buzzbait my left hand comes in and stops the spool with my thumb as I am switching hands and then the right hand starts to crank. Usually I can start it moving towards me before it touches the water. 

This is what I do as well, it becomes 2nd nature with some practice.

Loud, "balance" the reel and the spool will stop when the bait hits the water.

When I throw any topwater the spool stops just as the bait hits the water.

Easy to do:

Rig rod and reel with line and bait and ready to cast

Point rod tip to 11AM and release the spool

Using the spool tension knob and your drag adjust the spool so that it stops when the bait hits the floor (not rug or carpet as hooks will get hung up)

Make some minor adjustments if necessary to the tension knob and cast it out again.

And you are ready to cast!

Practice this and you will soon be reeling in the bait as it hits the water with very little if any wear and tear on your baitcaster.

Loud, "balance" the reel and the spool will stop when the bait hits the water.

When I throw any topwater the spool stops just as the bait hits the water.

Easy to do:

Rig rod and reel with line and bait and ready to cast

Point rod tip to 11AM and release the spool

Using the spool tension knob and your drag adjust the spool so that it stops when the bait hits the floor (not rug or carpet as hooks will get hung up)

Make some minor adjustments if necessary to the tension knob and cast it out again.

And you are ready to cast!

Practice this and you will soon be reeling in the bait as it hits the water with very little if any wear and tear on your baitcaster.

Very helpful info. I will make sure I do this with every lure change. I've been doing it, but the lews manual recommends that the spool make one revolution after the lure hits the ground. I get pretty decent casts with most weights, and my magnetic brake is rarely past 2, but I still get backlash occasionally. Havent quite gotten the hang of it to eliminate it all together.

LC

The noise you are hearing is the pinion gear trying to engage the pin on the spool while it is still spinning,  not a good thing.

X2!

X2!

X3 ......

What is happening is, the engagement slots in the pinion base are rounding out. Soon the reel will engage but any heavy back pressure on the spool (hookset or fighting), and it will jump out of engagement. The spool will turn backwards with a loud clicking...

At that point pinion needs replaced, and possibly the spool, if the shaft and engagement pin has been damaged.

Not a good pratice.... :Victory:

Good Luck & Tight Lines! :fishing1: