Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Archives

Bassing Fishing Archives .com

Any of y'all ever visit this site?

It is one of the most in depth looks into the history of bass fishing. As to how far back I'm not sure but I've seen mention of the 30-40s.

I think I've read some where between 1/3-1/2 of the entire site & lived probable 90% of it!

Thank you, haven't visited the site and will soon.

Happy New Years.

Tom

Thanks for that Catt.

Just read this.

Westmorland had an amazing life and also had some amazing catches, a lot of which he talks about in his book. He personally caught one fish over the magic 10-pound mark, had three fish over 9 pounds and 50 to 75 fish over 8 pounds. He also talks about a fish that he hooked that was well over 12 pounds. Most of these fish were hooked and caught on 6-pound test and a 1/8-ounce Hoss Fly jig-n-rind or a 1/2-ounce Spinrite.

• Like 1

Slightly above average!

:party-066:

Billy Westmoreland lived in Celina, TN, and was the only angler in history to certify two smallmouth bass

weighing 10 pounds or more.  During the 60s and 70s, I was actually growing weary of reading

bronzeback articles written by Billy Westmoreland. They were published in Fishing Facts magazine,

and later by In-Fisherman magazine which started up in 1975. Billy was not a journalist by any stretch,

but his feats with bronzebacks were unequaled. Although Billy also used heavy gear like Pedigo Spinrites (discontinued) 

and Silver Buddies (discontinued), his claim to fame was his ultralight finesse approach

to smallie fishing in crystal-clear Dale Hollow Reservoir. Westmoreland fashioned his own hair jig

that he dubbed the 'Hoss Fly'. Unlike your average hair jig, the Hoss Fly was made of polar bear hair, 

which is hollow hair like deer tail hair. He dressed the polar bear hair jig with an Uncle Josh U2 split-eel pork rind (discontinued), which was responsible for two of his record-class bass. 

>> 6th Largest ever         10-1            3/17/1972

>> 7th Largest ever         10-0            3/29/1970

>> 19th Largest ever       9-5              ?

Roger

Roger did you ever read his book?

Roger did you ever read his book?

No I did not Dwight ("Them Ole Brown Fish")  :smiley:

If anyone has a copy of Them ole brown fish I would love to purchase it or borrow & return it. I have not found it previously when searching for it new or used.