Sign in to follow this  
jhoffman

Thumb The Shoulder Of The Spool Or The Line

Which do you do? I know Ive been thumbing the line but Ive read recently this is wrong and could cause issue. Is there a right or wrong answer?

I guess I should note also, the reason i read this was wrong is that it doesnt effect the inertia of the spool and it can cause the line to slip leading to backlashes.

line

Well that just about settles it then huh

I´ve been trying to imagine how is it posible to thumb the spool shoulder and find that unless the spool is partially filled there´s no way you can do it.

• Like 2

I´ve been trying to imagine how is it posible to thumb the spool shoulder and find that unless the spool is partially filled there´s no way you can do it.

Thats exactly what I was trying to figure out.

line here

Depends on the reel (sometimes lure too) some I've had to thumb on spool to not birds nest but since getting into high end reels (daiwa t3's) I don't thumb my spools, no need too breaking system handles it.

I have done both, but the line feels much more natural, and the difference is not very noticeable in performance.

Mitch 

• Like 1

Shoulder of the spool. I cast with the reel angled to my side probably 30 to 45 degree angled, handle facing up. My thumb controls the non-handle side of the shoulder. I have better control this way. However to be acculate, my thumb is probably touching the line as well as spool. My wrist moves freely this way too.

I would like to add question to those who thumb the line...when you cast, is your reel right on top or angled to the side?

Shoulder of the spool. I cast with the reel angled to my side probably 30 to 45 degree angled, handle facing up. My thumb controls the non-handle side of the shoulder. I have better control this way. However to be acculate, my thumb is probably touching the line as well as spool. My wrist moves freely this way too.

I would like to add question to those who thumb the line...when you cast, is your reel right on top or angled to the side?

It can be either. If it's a two handed cast, the reel is usually straight. If it's a sidearm cast, then it's angled.

It can be either. If it's a two handed cast, the reel is usually straight. If it's a sidearm cast, then it's angled.

I cast 2-handed sidearm all the time.  :teeth:

Line.  My spools are full.

I cast both ways...with spool facing up and with handle either facing up or down...depending on which hand reel I am using or which hand I am casting with at the moment.  I've tried both ways trying to determine which method is more accurate.