Sign in to follow this  
Josh.Knoel

Smallmouth Rod

Looking for a rod that is around 7'3''-7'6'' for dragging tubes, small jigs for smallmouth on St.clair/Erie. price isn't really a concern id like the best performance i can get for lets say anything under 450. anyone have suggestions or possibly a custom rod? i was looking at ALX custom rods as a possibility anyone have any experience with them? Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks

pending on baitcast or spinning , i fish st clair year around and prefer spinning wise for tubes 7ft' medium Abu Garcia Veracity 

pending on baitcast or spinning , i fish st clair year around and prefer spinning wise for tubes 7ft' medium Abu Garcia Veracity 

I fish it frequently aswell i prefer longer than 7' just for the purpose of longer casting/Setting power.

Looking for a rod that is around 7'3''-7'6'' for dragging tubes, small jigs for smallmouth on St.clair/Erie. price isn't really a concern id like the best performance i can get for lets say anything under 450. anyone have suggestions or possibly a custom rod? i was looking at ALX custom rods as a possibility anyone have any experience with them? Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks

Josh take a look at G Loomis HSR9000S IMX 7'-6". It is a great rod for big smallies. I have had both the 2 piece & now the one piece.  It is a mag light extra fast- line 6-12lb -lure weight 1/4oz to 1/2oz. 

• Like 1

G.loomis SMR882s would be a good option. I drag tubes with an IMX852s which is a couple inches shorter then what you want(7'1) but it works well. The SMR882s is from their Bronzeback rods and is 7'4 medium/fast 1/8-3/8 #8-12 test

For the budget you're considering seriously consider a quality custom build. I have a few good blanks I can suggest and come in well within your budget. Email me if you'd like to talk more about it.

• Like 2

G. Loomis BCR 893C

I bought  a St Croix LXS76MF legend elite just for doing what you are looking to do.  I also have a SMR 913S-SP which is really nice but I like the Extreme a lot more.

I fish both of these rods on St Clair and have caught 100's of smallies on each.  I prefer the St Croix mostly due to the handle.  I dont know what it is about the LE handles but they are comfortable for me.  Both of these rods will drag tubes on the rocky bottom of St Clair.

• Like 1