bclark7b

Any Luck In Upstate Ny?

4 hours ago, nosdog2 said:

At least it wasn't raining on you!  LOL!  Get any muskie follows?  I need one of those this year. 

No, but I caught twice as many pike as I did bass yesterday. I don't think I have caught a tiger muskie yet this year over there.

As for tonight's fishing on Silver...it was good. Not on fire but good. I fished from 4pm-8pm. I caught an even dozen, with the best 5 a 4-13, a 4-1, a 3-11, and a pair of 3-9's. I'll take 19 + lbs for 4 hours of work any night.

The most exciting part of the night was when I went for a swim.....unintentionally. I skipped a frog up under a dock, and some other bozo left a wad of braid broken off on this dock, and of course my line, and frog got all tangled up in it. So there I am, on hands and knees, with the scissors cutting my frog out of this mess, when I get blind sided by a huge wake. It wasn't the initial wake that got me it was the rebound wake off the retaining wall on shore. I felt it start pushing the boat away from the dock.....the next thing I know, I am forming a human bridge between my front deck and the edge of this dock. My out stretched arms and hands on the dock, and my feet hooked on the gunnel of the boat with the rest of my body over open water.....it must have been a sight to see. I was faced with two options.....keep holding on for dear life and risk some kind of bizzaro injury, or just let go and take a swim. I chose to go into the drink. So I went in as gracefully as a 300lb fool could. I actually landed feet first on the bottom in about chest deep milfoil and eel grass choked water, calmly walked over to the boat, grabbed the TM shaft and walked the boat through the grass filled water to the nearest dock with a ladder, and climbed back on. One of my idiot friends saw the whole thing, and I thought I was going to have to call the ambulance for him he was laughing so bad. Lucky my phone, keys, and wallet were in the boat, and not my pockets. I continued to fish for 2 hours or so after this comedic fiasco, and caught my best fish of the night afterwards.

• Haha 3

I finally got off the struggle bus on Conesus today....but it took a little luck, and a lot of grinding to do so.

I was all set to fish as a non-boater in the Fix-it 4-U team trail tournament there today with a kid who buys jigs from me and is just breaking into bass fishing, but has a nice boat that would be more comfortable to fish out of in a bigger team open. He decided to not go at the last minute. So....I hitch up the ol' tin can this morning at 4:30am and head over there alone to fish it.

My day, much like most of my outings on Conesus this year got off to a painfully slow start. It was 8:30am before I had a bite, and it was only a small 1.75lb keeper. Catching that fish did nothing to bolster my confidence, so I switched things up. Shortly after the switch, the days magical/lucky moment happened....I caught a 6lb 4oz. largemouth. Easily my biggest fish this year in a tournament, or even in practice on Conesus. ( I have caught several bigger n practice on Silver this year). So I keep running with what caught that fish...for a while. I ended up getting a limit by about 10am, but it was a 13lb bag, and with a 6-4....you do the math on what the other four were....let's just say, not hogs. I eventually bailed on that after a long period with out bites. I ended up culling up a couple times the last hour with a couple decent fish, one largemouth and one smallmouth, and ended up cashing in 3rd place in a team event by myself with a 16lb 11oz. bag, and also took tournament lunker with the 6-4. 

• Like 4

Can't complain about a day like that! Nice lunker too!

I think I fished Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and friday night on Silver.

Monday and Tuesday SUCKED.....I tried to force the bite I had going last Friday, and it wasn't happening. With me struggling to put a couple of keepers in the boat each nite.

Thursday was good, I played around with the new Berkley max scent general baits and caught a bunch of good ones in a few hours. See my post in the baits section for report/review of the night.

Friday was on fire. I got there around 1pm after an early day at work. I had another one of "those days" that only happens a few times a year. Without going into too much detail....the highlights/best five largemouth were a 6-2, 5-7, 4-11, 4-3, and a 4-1....yeah it was good.

Then there was yesterday.

If last Sunday I started to throw dirt on my Conesus struggles with my 3rd place finish and 6-4 lunker in a tournament, yesterday (with BIG BIG help from my partner) we buried them....for now LOL.

I fished the annual big Dash for Cash on that lake with the kid whom had to cancel on me last weekend. We started right, as I caught a 4+ lber early and we each  contributed to a solid limit in the boat of mixed bag lm/sm in the first hour or so.

Then the wind really started whipping. We went to one of my best areas for big fish on the lake, and had a magical 20 mins. He put a 6.5, 5.5, and 3.5 in the boat in short order, and I culled out one of our smaller fish with solid mid to upper 3lb fish fishing behind him. That put us well over 20lbs when combined with the 4lber I got early.

We ran in and weighed his 6.5 at the bottom of the hour, waited 2 mins and weighed in the 5lber at the top of the very next hour. The 6lber took that hours big fish prize, but the 5 was JUST clipped by some one with a little bit bigger one. Oh well....we could have waited and won almost every other hour after that, but we wanted to get them weighed, on the board, released, and get back to that area before the bite died, or someone else moved in on it. That's all part of the dash for cash game. 

Anyways we won the entire event in the overall weight department with 22.84lbs...got some $$ for the win and his hourly winning fish, a couple of cool plaques, and bragging rights for a year over a lot of the top guns on that lake. What a day.

• Like 7

Since the big win on Conesus in the dash for cash, my last three outing have been slow, to terrible.

Monday night on Silver I fished for three hours after work, caught one 11" bass, a 3.5lber, and one pike...pretty terrible outing.

Thursday I had the 5th tournament in my solo angler series on Silver. It was bad for me from the get go. I caught 3 keepers all day, nothing big. There are 9 events in this series, and we take the top 6 for the AOY race, so I just took a mulligan on this one and will use it as a drop. I was leading the AOY race after the first 4 events, but dropped to 4th after this one....but I am still in it, only a few lbs behind the current leader, and I can still afford 2 more "bad" outings, but I better not flub the rest too badly.

Yesterday I fished the CV Bass trail team open on Honeoye...land of the dinks, with a new to me partner out of his boat who is a good young angler, and has fished and won a bunch of tournaments in the area. Neither of us has much exp. on Honeoye, I haven't been there in 10 years, and he fishes Cayuga, Keuka, and Oneida more than the smaller western finger lakes. We ground our way to a 5th place finish out of 33 boats by basically junk fishing...but since they only paid 3 spots, 5th was as good as 33rd in the money department, but at least we meshed well, didn't fall on our faces, and had a good time.

This afternoon I went to back to silver, and given the struggles of the last two outings there...I locked a spinning rod in my hand and had a better day. Not good, just better than the last two outings there. I fished from 2pm-8pm, and caught 7 bass, all over 3lbs, with a 4-2 as lunker for the day.

• Like 2

Port Bay was on fire Saturday.  At least it was for me.  Many said they struggled.  I caught fish on everything but moving baits, save for one on a YUM Tip-Toad.  Seemed odd, since the wind was whipping out of the south.   All said, fished from 6 to 11:30, caught around 30.  All green fish.

Tip-Toad Fish:

IMG_1364-X2.jpg

Biggest of the day, not quite 4:

IMG_1362-X2.jpg

Steady 10-15 mph winds all day:

IMG_1360-X2.jpg

• Like 3

Made a short and busy trip up to NY. I got out on Friday from about 1-6 and got hammered.  Nothing was working for me; docks, ned on the outside weed bed, frogging, wood, weeds, you name it.  So I dropped the rods and me and my sons went swimming!  

Also seemed like everyone pulling a tube that day decided to see how close they could tow to the shoreline.  I usually don't get bothered but they were throwing massive wakes and beating up everyone's docks, and very close.  Guess if I pull my kids in any type of inflatable, I want to be as far away from anyone else, but not on Friday they were getting crazy close with their kids. 

After Labor Day all that annoying boat traffic dies down significantly. 

• Like 1

Since last report:

I didn't fish at all after work this week, between the heat, having other stuff to do, and the slow fishing on Silver I just decided to wait until Thursday to fish.

On Thursday, I fished my 6th stop on my Conesus/Silver weekday solo angler trail. Much like last Sunday, given my recent struggles on Silver, I decided to lock a spinning rod with a ned rig in my hand until I got 5 keepers in the boat, and then make adjustments on the fly after that.

The final fish of the limit didn't come until 4 hours into the tournament....and the fish I caught on the ned ran from a small 1-14 keeper, to a 5-11 hog with a couple 2 and 3lbers in between. What to do? I decided after fish number 5 (which was a 2.5lber) to fish it for one more bite...if that bite culled...I would keep using it, if it didn't, time to change gears. 2 hours later at 1pm I caught a clone 1-14 to my smallest fish and said "that's it" time to do something else. I picked up a finesse flipping jig and headed to the bank. I caught one more fish by 3pm, another 2.5lber to cull with. I ended up with 16.37lbs for the day....good enough for a handshake and to stay in the top 4 in the AOY race. Winner had 20lbs, 2nd had 20lbs, 3rd had 18, and then there where a whole bunch of us bunched up at 15-16 lbs. I didn't even get lunker with my big fish (5.77lbs on my tournament scale)...that was beat by a 6.29 another guy caught. Oh well....It wasn't a crash and burn like last week, but it wasn't anything to get excited about either. Silver, even though it's my home lake, is not fishing to my strengths right now, Winner, and guy who got 2nd spot baby sat all day, and ground out what they had....that's not my style. I like to cover water, and junk fish, it'll be back "on" for me soon enough. On to the next one in 2 weeks at Conesus.

• Like 2

Silver has been on freaking fire this weekend. That's all I am going to say, other than each morning has been a slow start for me, but as soon as the boat traffic picks up around 11-noon, the bite has been lights out until dark.

I caught over 30 bass Saturday, with the best five going 4-13, 4-10, 4-7, and a pair of 4-5's

Today I caught just as many, but with the best five going 5-11, 5-9, 5-4, 5-1, and 4-11.

• Like 3

I'm in my usual end of summer burn out where I'm sick of the heat and sick of slow fishing. Spent the long weekend grinding it out at Fair Haven with not one impressive fish to show for it, just a few dinks to keep me interested enough. I really wanted to focus on the lake but the wind was kicking and I didn't wanna make the long run to one of usual spots. Fished for a while east of Fair Haven just outta the channel at the first bluff, fishing 30 FOW into 15 and marking nothing. Told myself I'm done until end of the month, then I saw the forecast for next weekend in the low 70s. Even if it's slow, at least it will be perfect temps. The Mrs and I have our first baby due Oct 5th so I think I need to take advantage of the fishing time I have for now!

Went to the thousand islands this weekend with my wife and her family. I went out for a few hours Saturday Sunday and Monday morning. Saturday and Sunday morning I caught around 7-10 LM each morning and a pike each of those mornings. Monday morning I couldn't catch anything and was broken off 3 times by pike!! Then when I was about to pack it in I threw a jig at an island that had a lot of rocks and a steep drop off and felt a real hard bite. I was almost certain it was another pike and I was about to lose another couple bucks, when it didn't break off I was happy but still thought it was a pike the way it was fighting. When I got it to the boat i realized it was a SM and a big one! Threw the scale on it and it was a new SM PB for me 5.1! So it ended up being a good morning. Def a beautiful area and really overwhelming how much water is up there!

• Like 4

Anyone fishing the Arcadia tournament at Fair Haven this Saturday?

Since last report:

I don't think I fished at all after work the week after labor day. I did go out after work, and after my kids football game Saturday and Sunday. Both afternoon's were just average days. Fish were caught, a big one or two each day, but nothing to get excited about.

I fished tuesday evening last week after work, it was decent with a dozen + bass being caught in 3 hours.

I fished in my solo angler weekday tournament series on Thursday on Conesus. I finished 2nd with 18.44lbs, and moved up to 2nd in the AOY standings with 2 events to go. Winner had 21.90, I was 2nd with 18, 3rd had 18, the top couple non-cashers all had 17lbs. The bite was good, but everyone...............except the winner, seemed to not be on multiple big fish.

• Like 2

I've been out a couple times recently with some success. Caught a decent amount of fish on Cayuga last Saturday. The low light of that trip was losing a giant at the boat. My PB LM is 6.2 I'm not sure it was bigger than that but it was in that range. This Saturday will probably be my last full day out fishing with hunting season coming up. I have a job out in Warsaw again so probably going to silver lake which always seems to make me look like a fool 

• Haha 1

So if any of you had to guess how bad Saturday is gonna suck as far as fishing goes on a scale of 1-10 what would you say.  Friday is gonna be 84 with 22 mph winds and thunderstorms then Saturday is gonna be 60 cloudy and 8mph winds. I'll be there Saturday either way, but let me know what you think? 

Fish deep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

Fish deep. 

and slooooooooowwww.

Fished my second tournament ever last Saturday outta Fair Haven, managed a 19.50 lb bag for 4th place out of 17 boats (5 boats didn't weigh in) 3rd place was 19.95, so we were kinda close to the money.  Our bag was entirely smallies, and I don't think I saw anyone weigh a largemouth but I could be wrong. The same club will be fishing there again this Saturday but I have a wedding to attend, not entirely heart broken as the weather sounds like it will be a doozy by then. Kinda doubting the lake will even be fishable, last I looked Friday forecasted waves occasionally hitting 10ft..........No thanks. However I'll be interested to see the results from them fishing the bay instead. 

5 hours ago, bclark7b said:

How deep is deep

On Silver...9 feet for largemouth 18-22 for smallmouth.

I am going to go out Saturday on silver and fish shallow just to prove that jfrancho doesn't know what he's talking about. Hahaha.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bclark7b said:

How deep is deep

It's all relative to the water you're fishing.  If it's the city dump, I'm thinking 20-30'.

• Thanks 1

Not sure where you're fishing but the big lake is cold right now and fish are everywhere...deep, shallow....very shallow...

Lets see....since last report

Saturday 9/15.....fished  from sun up till sun down, it was a good morning for size with 7 bass in the boat before noon with the best five going 5-5, 4-10, 4-6, 3-12, and 3-9. It ground to a halt for several hours mid-day and nothing short of the ned rig would put fish in the boat. But the best five ned rig fish were all smallmouth and they went 3-11, 3-9, 3-4, 3-3, and 3-1.

Monday evening 9/17...fished for 3 hours or so after work. It was SLOW. I caught three all night, but they were all 4+ lbers.

Tuesday evening 9/18 was better....I again fished for  or so hours after work. Caught 7. Best five a 5-10, 4-9, 4-1, 3-10, and 3-8. The other two were small keepers.

Weds. evening 9/19......another 3 hour after work trip, and another grind for 3 bites. No size. All clone 3lbers

18 hours ago, Krux5506 said:

Not sure where you're fishing but the big lake is cold right now and fish are everywhere...deep, shallow....very shallow...

If I’m in the big lake, I’m fishing shallow for shiny fish 🙂