bclark7b

Any Luck In Upstate Ny?

I'm really leaning toward going to conesus in the morning instead of the closer honeoye. I've never been there before any tips would be appreciated.

Also is there a boat ramp that is less crowded than another? I'm fine at backing the trailer in and everything I'm just the kind of person who hates to make other people wait so I always have a mini panick attack when a boat launch is crowded. (I know that might sound a little crazy).

I'd avoid it tomorrow. Upstate Anglers has their big opening day tournament.  It will be packed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ww2farmer said:

I'd avoid it tomorrow. Upstate Anglers has their big opening day tournament.  It will be packed.

Thank you for saving me from that! 

Went to honeoye again. 6:30-9 I caught 18 bass on a wacky worm and a few on the ned rig the largest was 3.8. Then things shut off completely. I tried everything deep, shallow, docks, weeds, everything. Then I figured before I call it a day I'd try the neko rig in the weeds. From 10:30-11:30 I caught 11 more LM 2 rock bass and a pike. The largest of them being 4.3. 

• Like 2

I fished the annual opening day 3 fish limit tournament on Silver today. I did OK....or should I say my partner did OK. You fish as individuals, but since we used his boat, he has terminal cancer, and has a crappy livewell with NO culling system/equipment or a way to keep our fish separate, I ran the boat, caught all the fish, and let him weigh them all in, hoping to get one last cashing for a dying old friend. Before anyone get's their panties in a wad over this saying "that's cheating" or "not fair", the guys running the tournament knew before hand I was going to do this, and take a zero under my name, and let my friend have the glory, and they were OK with it....BUT I had to agree to pay double the entree fee and take a ZERO/DQ to do it, which I did gladly.

Anyways...the fishing......I struggled in the morning. Then from 9am- to the end at 1pm, I caught fish pretty steady. All smallmouth, all on the stupid ned rig LOL. I ended up getting him 9.98 lbs for the best three smallmouth. All cookie cutter 3lbers and change. But..it was only good for 6th place out of 30+ guys....two spots out of the money. I feel bad I couldn't get the old timer one more run in a cashers spot, but I tried. 

• Like 8

I was able to do some bank fishing on the Hudson River this Father's Day weekend. Water was low and the temps were hot. I saw some Bass cruising but no takers on soft plastics or crankbaits.

I noticed the Bluegill were on beds all along the shore. I spent a few hours each day just walking and targeting bedded fish. The spawning colors were stunning.

E7_A2_D363_7_BCC_463_A_BBE0_224_AA1_BC7_

• Like 1

Went to the quick after work spot. The erie canal at the wide waters. Caught 9 LM and 6 rock bass. Largest LM was 2.14. Flipped a black and blue jig in the grass and worked the neko rig along the bank. Also had one on a frog. Hopping this Saturday to try conesus since farmer was kind enough to give me the heads up last week about upstate anglers tournament there so I stayed away from all that traffic. 

• Like 2

Fished Monday and Tuesday night after work and both nights were decent, with multiple 4+ lb fish each night and good numbers of above average keepers as well. Just kinda junk fishing around. Which is what I like to do.

Yesterday I had my opening tournament for the season of my week day single angler series on silver and conesus lakes. The first tournament was on silver, and I did well continuing the junk fishing. I placed second with 17.59lbs. I fished clean, and had two 4+ lb fish, but I couldn't get anymore upgrades to get near the win, which took 19.97lbs. But it's a good start to the year, as opposed to last season where I was struggling bad, spinning out, and not fishing hard through tuff times.

• Like 3

Went out yesterday to Honeoye after hearing the good reports from bclark, also thanks to JFrancho.  First time there, fished from 3 til 8 with an hour break to eat and stretch.  Got beat up by the wind initially, and took a while to figure things out.  Caught 11 LMB and 5 SMB.  The SMB were all fairly small 1# or less.  5 of the LMB were between 3&4#s. 

0621LMB.jpg

• Like 3

Someday I'll get to conesus, but not tomorrow. My boss is making me go to a job we have in castile tomorrow afternoon so to be on the water as long as possible it looks like I'm gonna go to farmers back yard pond silver lake. Hopefully I can find a fish or two over there. I've never fished that lake alone I always had a pretty dang good guide in the front of the boat lol.

11 minutes ago, bclark7b said:

Someday I'll get to conesus, but not tomorrow. My boss is making me go to a job we have in castile tomorrow afternoon so to be on the water as long as possible it looks like I'm gonna go to farmers back yard pond silver lake. Hopefully I can find a fish or two over there. I've never fished that lake alone I always had a pretty dang good guide in the front of the boat lol.

DO NOT go way way back in the backwaters where I have taken you, it's super low, and you'll get stuck. I'm serious. Besides, the rest of the lake is fishing decent now anyways, no need to even risk it.

6 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

DO NOT go way way back in the backwaters where I have taken you, it's super low, and you'll get stuck. I'm serious. Besides, the rest of the lake is fishing decent now anyways, no need to even risk it.

Roger that on the backwaters! My boss would not like the I'm literally stuck on the lake excuse! Hopefully you have some nice weeds grown up out there by now

7 minutes ago, bclark7b said:

Roger that on the backwaters! My boss would not like the I'm literally stuck on the lake excuse! Hopefully you have some nice weeds grown up out there by now

What time are you going to be there? I have to work in the AM, but should be on the water by noon-1pm. I could point and say "go over there, and try this" in person better than I can explain it here.

4 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

What time are you going to be there? I have to work in the AM, but should be on the water by noon-1pm. I could point and say "go over there, and try this" in person better than I can explain it here.

What the boat launch situation normally like down there in the a.m? I'm considering arriving as early as I can. Is there a time to get there by to beat traffic? Or is traffic non-existent? It took me 40 minutes to get on honeoye last Saturday so I'd like to not repeat that. I should be on the water still by then! I'm always up for a "go over there and try this".

On a rainy sat. AM you might be the only one there since I have to work (otherwise there would be two of us LOL) unless a club has a bass tournament I don't know about. But by noon, it will be picking up. Don't wait until the last minute to get off the water. I have waited over an hour before on a busy weekend day to get off. I usually just say screw it, and go back fishing until it dies down.....Also, fair warning. They have sustained winds forcasted for the "area" at 12-15 mph out of the south tomorrow, with gusts to 25...On Silver, ADD 25% to almost double that. And a  stiff south wind is miserable on that lake. Even more so when the reaction bait bite is not on.

3 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

On a rainy sat. AM you might be the only one there since I have to work (otherwise there would be two of us LOL) unless a club has a bass tournament I don't know about. But by noon, it will be picking up. Don't wait until the last minute to get off the water. I have waited over an hour before on a busy weekend day to get off. I usually just say screw it, and go back fishing until it dies down.

Haha alright sounds good. Unless I absolutely suck I'll planning on being out till 2 or 3 I have to get off by 3:30 to make it to the job out there.

1 minute ago, bclark7b said:

Haha alright sounds good. Unless I absolutely suck I'll planning on being out till 2 or 3 I have to get off by 3:30 to make it to the job out there.

See my edits above for the wind warning.

• Thanks 1

Went to silver today. Caught a decent bass at 7:30 then caught 137,000 rock bass and a large pike between then and around 2 when Farmer showed up. The bass knew he came onto the lake and started to bite again. Caught a 4.3 and another 2 ok LM and lost one at the boat before I left at 3. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fished Silver as well today.  Not to the best, but got a few in the boat. 

Was talking with @ww2farmer on the lake, and the 3 min we were chatting he puts one close to 5 lbs in the boat without missing a beat. 

65B81DB0-F4A3-4CAF-8647-A9F18E24CB20.jpeg

2170D35F-13A6-46B9-A41B-7C1F696D82C1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nosdog2 said:

Fished Silver as well today.  Not to the best, but got a fee in the boat. 

Was talking with @ww2farmer on the lake, and the 3 min we were chatting he puts one close to 5 lbs in the boat without missing a beat. 

65B81DB0-F4A3-4CAF-8647-A9F18E24CB20.jpeg

2170D35F-13A6-46B9-A41B-7C1F696D82C1.jpeg

2 hours ago, bclark7b said:

Went to silver today. Caught a decent bass at 7:30 then caught 137,000 rock bass and a large pike between then and around 2 when Farmer showed up. The bass knew he came onto the lake and started to bite again. Caught a 4.3 and another 2 ok LM and lost one at the boat before I left at 3. 

Yeah, I got there around 2, and both bclark7b, and nosdog2 were there. I shot them both texts, and within minutes they both text back that they had just caught good ones. So I get to work, I started flipping docks , bclark7b finds me just as I am catching my first fish and I point him to a stretch of docks that "has" been good the last week or so, and after a short chat he heads off. I flipped docks for a good while after that and it was kinda dead with only a few more average sized fish to be had. Well.....that doesn't seem to be the deal today, so I pick up the spinning rod and the ned rig, and start tuna hauling small to medium sized fish...alright, at least now I am getting bites. Nosdog2 finds me, and just as I am telling him "I haven't caught anything but a bunch of 1+2 lbers today", I get one around 3, and then a 4-12. We split up, and I continue drifting and fishing the ned rig, and catch several more 4+ lbers, including one smallmouth. Then I get my ned rig bit off by a pike. I tie on a little heavier head, as the wind is now picking up, and go FOREVER without a bite. We (nosdog2, his dad, and I) meet up again, and we all head to the little diner on the lake for supper (Thanks for buying nosdog2!!). After dinner they decide to call it a night, but I head back to fishing. I ditch the heavier non-bite getting ned head, and go back to the smaller one, and start catching fish again. This time just a lot of numbers, no big ones.

Nosdog2, and I are going to Conesus tomorrow, it's my first time there this year, and I have to see what it looks like for clarity/weed growth/etc....I have a tournament there in 2 weeks, and I don't want to wait until the last minute to  see how the lake is setting up this year. My little tin boat is not exactly suited for running around on tournament day looking for stuff.

• Like 1

Well Conesus was NOT on fire for nosdog2 and I today. We probably caught 15 or so bass between us, but few cracked the 3lb mark, and nothing bigger than just around 3lbs.  The weather conditions played a trick on me....usually on a rainy, overcast day over there I can get a good swim jig and top water bite going. Not today. Top water was dead, with only one fish caught on it by nosdog2, and the swim jig was not much better with a limit or so of 2.5lb fish coming on it, but often hours apart between bites. The ned rig was surprisingly unproductive, I caught one lone 3lbish smallmouth on it. Really the only thing that caught fish with any regularity were weightless plastics skipped under docks, or fished on the shallow inside weed line, and even then, bites on that were slow to get. The few bed fish we saw were highly uninterested in anything we tossed at them, so after a while we quit even trying for those. All in all, it was just a slow day over there.

14 hours ago, ww2farmer said:

Well Conesus was NOT on fire for nosdog2 and I today.... All in all, it was just a slow day over there.

For me, too, and for everyone else I saw out there.  Given the "perfect" weather, I thought for sure that there would be a top water or reaction bite.  While I did get some action on a swim jig, like you guys it was not near what I thought it would be--one big pike and a couple of other pops but no other fish.  I never dreamed that they'd be hiding under docks given the conditions.  Ah well, live and learn...

Well, Silver was better for 3 hours tonight than Conesus was all day yesterday. Oh well. That will flip flop soon. 

• Like 1

Well as Farmer said, it was slow on Conesus on Sunday, but still had a good day learning some new things and trying other things out that I wouldn't have thought of.  One thing is, if you are going to bring rain gear, best to bring the whole set.  I had a jacket, and it POURED on us for quite a bit, EVERYTHING but my upper torso was wet to the bone, and the temps dropped as well.  So it was a bit chilly, I put my hands IN the water to warm them up! 

I went to Conesus again yesterday to try my luck. I put about 7/8 in the boat from about 1-4, best being about a 4lbr who only had one eye and a mean attitude!  I stuck him in the live well so I could snap a pic with him for a few minutes because of the wind, he was ticked still.  The wind out of the North was tough as I was trying to fish some docks and it was blowing my boat past the docks faster than I could fish them.  (guess it is another reason why I "need" a bass boat!)  My dad kept pulling in SM with a moving bait, while I was skipping docks. 

• Like 2