bclark7b

Any Luck In Upstate Ny?

18 hours ago, Krux5506 said:

Not sure where you're fishing but the big lake is cold right now and fish are everywhere...deep, shallow....very shallow...

If I’m in the big lake, I’m fishing shallow for shiny fish 🙂

Went to silver from 7 till 3:30 With two largemouth which together may have cracked 2lbs. Also a sunny and a rock bass. Nothing was working for me! Fun to get out though!

• Like 2

I too was at Silver from about 7ish till pm.

It wasn't terrible for me, nor was it on fire.

I started on Smallmouth, and caught 5 in the first couple hours. Not a huge bag. 17lbs or so, but I had two good ones at 4-1, and 4-4. All but one of the 5 came from 15-20 feet of water, the lone odd ball came from 1 foot of water LOL.

I switched to Largemouth around 11 or so after is became obvious the smallies were not on fire. They were a grind as well. I ended up catching 4 in the first hour or so fishing for them. Including my two best ones of the day at 4-8, and 4-5. Well flipping grass died before it every really got going...except for pike, pike were on fire...today was the day they decided to eat anything and everything black and blue that fell from the sky. Somehow I managed to lose ZERO jigs, tungsten sinkers, or any  other form of rigging to them while catching over a dozen between 1pm and 4pm....including one really good one that weighed 11-14.

Then at 4pm, they stopped, and the largemouth started again. I caught 4 more before I left at 6, all clone 3.5lbers.

• Like 3

The weekend mornings were mid 40's and the Hudson was foggy.

I fished mid-day Saturday after errands and the temps were low 70's by then. Nothing was biting topwater so I switched to a Ned rig and caught 11 Smallmouth Bass between the hours of 1:30pm to 5pm.

Sunday I was at the river before 8am with smoke on the water I again had no luck with the topwater bite so I switched to a chatterbait with a fluke trailer. Got 1 Smallmouth before the action dried up. I switched to a TRD Tubez on a Shroomz jighead and got 4 more Smallmouth before calling it a day at 11am

• Like 1

Since last report:

Fished Sunday 9/23 for a few hours in the late afternoon/early evening, and it was mighty slow. A few small largemouth on the ned rig, and a few average sized ones up shallow was all I could come up with.

Monday 9/24 after work for a few hours was also dreadfully slow. I hoped in with a buddy on his boat and I only caught ***.5lber fishing behind him, and he didn't light it up either catching two the same size in the 3 hours we fished.

Tuesday 9/25 after work...much better. Got a few good ones up shallow, and a handfull of decent ones deep.

Thursday 9/27: Fished the 8th, and 2nd to last event on my weekday Solo Angler tournament trail on Silver. Finished in 2nd with 18.89lbs, winner had 19.85, and 3rd had 18.12. AOY race is coming down to the wire in the season finale at Conesus on Oct. 11th. I am currently in third with 109.32lbs....a frog hair behind 2nd w/ 109.5 lbs, with 1st being a very slim lead on us at 112lbs. I need to catch 18.5-19lbs to drop my 16lb lowest bag, and I need both 2nd and 1st place guys to NOT catch more than 15.5 lbs, as that is both of there next drop weights in our best 6 of 9 tournament format for AOY.

• Like 4

Good luck on the 11th!!  I will route for ya!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nosdog2 said:

Good luck on the 11th!!  I will route for ya!

Thanks, I am going to need it. Both guys I am up against are good, real good. One of them is my team tournament partner, so I know how good he is. The other has been tournament fishing around here since the 19th century, he's pretty good too.

• Like 1

Since last report:

Fished either weds. or tues. night after work...I think it was weds. I can't remember now lol.

But anyways...size good, real good, numbers.....mehhh not so much. I only caught 5 in the 2.5 or so hours I fished, but they were all good ones for a 21+ lb bag.

Today I met up with Kbeeb374 even though our bait deal fell through...(but he didn't go home empty handed).

We fished from 7-8am  without any action,then got chased off the water by a downpour and thunderstorm. After waiting it out, we went back out and it was a grind all day.

They ones we caught were good ones, with one over 5, a couple 4+, a couple 3+, and a few rats on the largemouth side, and only one good 4b-ish smallmouth and a couple dinks for brown fish.

The day was not without drama, getting chased off the water by the above mentioned storm.....then the starter on my boat took a dump, and we ended up having to rope start most of the day. Good thing I only have a 25hp motor that starts on one or two pulls. I am going to take it off, get it rebuilt at the local shop, and just pull start until I get it back.

• Like 1

3 day weekend. Fished all 3 days I had off.

Saturday: Fished a local canal that has some big Carp in it. Saw three of them looked to be in the 8 - 12 pound range. Tried bread balled up on a circle hook. No luck they just passed it by. I will try corn next time.

F8964_BF9_61_D2_4282_AFB9_5472354_FD810.

I switched to my light action rod and a size 100 reel and caught 10 fish. 5 Sunfish, a Fallfish, a Chain Pickerel, 2 Largemouth Bass and a Rock Bass. Walked over to the Hudson River on the other side of the canal and with my Baitcasting set up caught 2 Smallmouth Bass on a Crankbait. Great multi-species day.

Sunday: Cold and rainy morning. Managed to catch 1 Largemouth out of the canal.

Monday: Cold and rainy morning again. Managed to catch 1 Smallmouth out of the Hudson.

• Like 1

Thanks again @ww2farmer for taking me out! had a blast and learned a lot!  Also came home with some new plastics and hooks to try which was awesome.

Hopefully i can come up again before the season is over!

• Like 1

Had an hour to fish the Chaumont River behind my Father's house before I headed back to Buffalo. This is my childhood spot and it always produces in the fall when fish move up the river from Lake Ontario to feed. Hooked both fish on a weightless T-rigged Zoom Fluke. The Perch absolutely hammered it. Love throwing weightless baitfish plastics when the temps start to drop. The Northern came out of the weeds right were I was casting and grabbed it. lucky it was so close to shore or I would of lost it to those pesky little teeth.  

This Perch is getting fat for the Winter. 

FDKfVMt.thumb.jpg.a222bf991304aaf47607e80af1538203.jpg

The Northern was in about 10" of water. Decent size this far down the river. 

pHHMM2A.thumb.jpg.668219592745fddcdb15cf1aa0cf6930.jpg

• Like 3

Been a while since last report on 10/6, but here goes:

Sunday 10/7: The day after kbeeb374 and I went out, I fished from 2:30pm-dark, and the shallow largemouth bite was on. I caught about a dozen good ones on a spinnerbait

Thursday 10/11: Fished my finale regular season event in my solo angler trail on Conesus. I, was in 3rd place in the standings going in and needed 19.23lbs to take AOY IF the guy ahead of me didn't improve on his drop weight of 15.35......well he didn't, and I didn't do what I had to do either, and the guy in 2nd pulled past him and took the $500 AOY prize. Knowing I needed a big bag, I kinda swung for the fence with big reaction baits up shallow, and big jigs and/or T-rigged plastics in the grass. I caught tons off fish....the only problem was size. One cookie cutter 2.5lber after another all day, and only ended up with 14.5 lbs and a 6th place finish out of 15 boats in the tournament. Winner had 21, second had 20 (guy who won AOY), and third had 19. What a time to have my worst tournament of the year on Conesus....oh well.

Sat. 10/13: fished for a few hours in the afternoon on Silver with the new TRD Craw's, and finsse bulletz heads I got in off my last TW order.....they liked that, caught a bunch of good ones.

Sun. 10/14: Fished all day on Silver. Started with smallmouth and had two good ones early, before they pumped the brakes on me. Switched to shallow largemouth with a chatterbait/spinnerbait/soft jerkbait rotation and knocked the crap out of them. LOTS of big fish. That bite died late morning, and I headed back out deep with the TRD craw, and neko rig and continued to catch them all day.

Tuesday 10/16: Bought the time I dunked the boat in the water after work, and made a few casts, my boat mech. called and had me come over to install the new starter on my motor, so I really don't call that much of a trip.

Thursday 10/18: Held my year end classic for the top 12 in the above mentioned AOY race. 8 guys showed up. We fished 4 hours on Conesus in the AM for a 3 fish limit, moved, fished 4 hours on Silver for a 3 fish limit, and at the end added the bags together for the results. My day started off with a bang at 5am, getting a call from my sister on the way to Conesus that my father passed away during the night suddenly, and unexpectedly at home.....that really took me out of it mentally, and I just went through the motions the rest of the day. I ended up in 3rd with a combined weight of 15.5 lbs, but got smoked as both 1st and 2nd had 20+.

Sat. 10/20: fished Silver all day, and it was a crap show. Had big smallmouth on multiple times....they all got off, fished for hours on end for largemouth with no action save for a few decent ones in a short time around 11am. Got rained/snowed/hailed on multiple times. In 9 hours of fishing I caught 5 bass.

With the news of my fathers death and having to deal with that in the upcoming week or so, the terrible weather were having and going to have for the next two weeks, and me just not catching them good the last few times out, I cleaned my gear out of the boat.....I'm not going to call it a year yet, but I am close.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your father. My prayers go out to you and your family. Stay strong and remember the good times.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gundog.

Now for a tournament season recap, since I am done with those for the year.

Silver:

Tournaments fished- 8

Wins: 0

2nds: 4

3rds: 1

Competitive but just out of the money finishes: 1

Middle of the pack finishes: 1

Stinkers: 1

Best bags: 21lbs 8oz. (2nd)

20.86lbs    (2nd)

18.89        (2nd)

17.59        (2nd)

Biggest bass caught: 5.77lbs

Conesus: 

Tournaments fished: 8

Wins: 1

2nds: 1

3rds: 1

Competitive, but just out of the money: 2

Middle of the pack finishes: 2

Stinkers: 1

Best bags : 22.89 (1st)

18.45 (2nd)

17.26 (no money)

16lbs 11oz. (3rd)

Biggest bass caught: 6lbs 4oz. (tournament lunker)

I'd like to turn some of those 2nds into wins, but I don't know how to? What I do obviously works. I think it's my lot in life to be the perpetual brides maid...I have over 40 2nd place finishes in my 10 years of tournament fishing, compared to only 14 wins.

Sorry to hear about your Dad bud.  

• Thanks 1

Really sorry about your dad man.. just prayed for you and will keep praying for you and your family.

wish there was more we could say other than sorry..

• Thanks 1

So sorry about the loss of your Dad.

• Thanks 1

So sorry about your father.

• Thanks 1

I only managed to get out on the water once this week after work between covering for a guy who is out sick, and having the funeral for my father.

I fished last night for about 3 hours....3pm to darkish.

It was not on fire. I fished exclusively for smallmouth, they wanted nothing to do with jigs, wobble heads, tubes, blade baits, or anything fished on or near the bottom. I ended up catching 6, three of them 4+ lbs, and 3 of them small keepers by going old school and fishing a 4" single curly tail grub on a ball head, and a tiny 3" Keitech swing impact slow and steady reeled through the middle of the water column in fairly shallow water (for smallmouth this time of year). Of the better ones, two came on the grub, one on the small swimbait. I have seen these conditions before....the smallmouth suspended near the grass lines in low to mid 50's water temps, and have done really well letting a weightless 3" or 4" senko fall painstakingly slow through them, but it was just a tad too breezy for that last night. 

All day wind and rain today, I'll probably go back out tomorrow for a while.

• Like 2

As stated, I went back out today.

Was still raining in the morning, but it let up around 7:30 or so. I ended up getting on the water at 8.

Started with smallmouth.....nothing. After two hours of that I went largemouth fishing. Caught two on the deep weed line, a 2.5lber, and a 4-13, then went several hours without any action. Headed in shallow, caught one pike and a 3rd largemouth that went 4-9, but that was it. Ended the day looking for smallmouth again, and caught two 3lbers before I left at 4:30. Needless to say it was a slow grind for 5 bass bites all day. I am running out of daylight to do much fishing after work unless it's an early day, and if next weekend sucks both fishing and weather wise, I think I'll call it a year. It's not been a good past two weeks. Largemouth seem to have lockjaw bad, and smallmouth are an exercise in frustration right now.

• Like 2

Was beautiful yesterday, so went out from from 2 til 5:30, bumbling around in my hybrid canoe.  Initially things were slow, caught one in the first hour.  Went to the other side of the lake where the wind was coming from and it was much calmer.  Caught at least 2 dozen LMB over the course of the next 2 hours and 3 SMB.  Most were small, from 1 -2#s and all were super shallow, in 5-10' of water.  Took pictures of the biggest LMB & SMB, was unable to get weights as my cheap scale was not working (at least I knew the air temp was 13 Celsius LOL) I estimate they were over 3#.  A great day, saw only 2 others out on the lake, one of the guys was coming in from bowhunting from further down the lake.

1030LMB.jpg

1030SMB.jpg

1030SM.jpg

• Like 4

With DST coming to an end this weekend, I decided to ask for, and was granted, a slightly early release from work Weds. afternoon for my last evening trip of the year. I was on the water from 3pm-6pm, and it was an ok 3 hours.

I caught 4 smallmouth, and 4 largemouth.....not on fire for numbers. All fish were caught ultra finesse swim baiting a 3" Keitech swing impact on a 3/16oz tungsten ball head, on 6lb line through schools of perch that were tucked up close to the last remaining green grass in 8-9 feet of water. Those perch played havoc with the Keitech baits, I donated A LOT of them in the form of bit off tails, but I was catching bass in and around them, so bait conservation was of no concern. Best 5 of the short trip were a 6-6 (largemouth) 4-11 (smallmouth) 3-12 (smallmouth) 3-7 (smallmouth) and a 3-3 (largemouth). I'll take 21+ lbs in three hours on light tackle, in 48 degree water any day. Good way to close the book on afterwork trips in 2018.

I have 2-3 more outings in me for sure. I'll be on the water all day this Sunday 11/4/18, and then if the weather is decent, all day Sat. and Sunday next weekend (11/10 + 11/11). Rain/snow, sun, wind or cold, I HAVE to fish Sunday the 11th. I was prodded into holding a Veterans day "last cast" tournament on Silver by several of my buddies. Should be interesting. After that it's a coin toss on if I keep fishing or not. The weather will have as much say in it as I do.

• Like 2