Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jomatty

threading chunks?

Recommended Posts

when you guys use chunk style trailers with jigs how do you decide if you are going to thread it on the hook shank similar to a craw or hook it similar to how you would a pork chunk.

ive posted about similar things a few times and the consensus was that i think too much about such things but im just curious.  i tend to thread the paca style chunks and not the traditional style chunks when i want a larger profile.

just curious,

matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thread them all 99% of the time.  I believe its more of a confidence issue.  I've tried it both ways and for me the threading works better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thread mine 100% of the time.   Like GMAN said it is a confidence issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thread mine 100% of the time.  The reason being is I had many, many fish take just the trailer and I missed them.  I started threading and the hook-up rate went up.

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thread 95% of the time.The other 5% is when I'm using real pork.(It doesnt thread well if you havent noticed) If I feel like the fish need a bigger profile,I'll just straight hook it.

Threading it assures that it is always in the same spot once it hits the water.One thing I make sure to do when I'm threading a trailer is to do it to where the hook is barely under the skin of the trailer after I get it in position.Too much plastic in the throat of the hook reduces the hooks effectiveness.If you have the bulk of the trailer on the outside of the hook,you wont have to worry about it getting in the way when you drop the hammer,plus it will help the back end stay up and your jig will be less likely to roll on its side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thread my chunks onto a jig, I don't know if it makes a difference to the fish but I mainly do it because it just looks better to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'll be the one oddball who hooks the chunk. I'm a die-hard pork guy, however I do use the plastic chunks sometimes. When I do use plastic I try and keep the same profile I get with pork. I think you guys are right about it just boiling down to the setup each of us has our own confidence in.

Good thread you started jomatty. I'm always up for different ideas. I'm really surprised that so many guys are threading the chunks. Something for me to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will only thread a chunk if I think the trailer will not get torn up. I read a post somewhere that said threading gets the bulk of the chunk close to the jig head and makes the bait look a little more realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on if I want a shorter or longer profile

Here's a tip  

Once you've hooked the plastic chunk, stick a tooth pick through it just above the bend in the hook, clip the ends and dare a bass to pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also straight hook chunks.  Just personal preference.  That tip Catt gave about the toothpick is a good one I've been using for years... hardly ever lose a chunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thread my trailers with the exception of pork. I think it gives the bait a more realistic and uniform appearance. I almost never have a bass strike just the trailer or tear off the trailer. I think threading it on helps save the trailer from more wear and tear, and helps you save more baits in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thread 95% of the time.The other 5% is when I'm using real pork.(It doesnt thread well if you havent noticed) If I feel like the fish need a bigger profile,I'll just straight hook it.

Threading it assures that it is always in the same spot once it hits the water.One thing I make sure to do when I'm threading a trailer is to do it to where the hook is barely under the skin of the trailer after I get it in position.Too much plastic in the throat of the hook reduces the hooks effectiveness.If you have the bulk of the trailer on the outside of the hook,you wont have to worry about it getting in the way when you drop the hammer,plus it will help the back end stay up and your jig will be less likely to roll on its side.

I thread plastic and only hook pork as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awsome thread... I never considered threading plastic chunks.. I always would just "spear it" like i would a pork chunk... hmmmmm I need to right that down so I don't forget to try it next time I go fishing!

AL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×