Sign in to follow this  
MassBass

Scrounger Ledheads?

I was looking for some ledhead jigs on tw and saw these scroungers

How are these scroungers? How is the hook-up percentage? Looks like something i could add to my kayak fishing arsenal. Like a chatterbait without all the moving parts. I would put a grub or houdini shad on it, but I suppose the rigging possibilities are endless. I like the heads with eyes and texture.   

I think you might find mum's the word.  They add action to an actionless bait, like a fluke.  I like them in heavier weights with the medium size bill.  They're especially good on suspending groups of fish.

I can tell you the Mexican bass like them. Fished with a mag fluke or big sluggo.

It seems to me that the lack of action in certain baits like senkos & flukes is their biggest attraction. What do you see as the advantage to imparting action into these over just picking a bait with more inherent action? Or is just one of things that just works?

• Like 1

I prefer a flat sided bait.  Flash, in open water, along with the precision in presentation afforded by a weighted bait.

It seems to me that the lack of action in certain baits like senkos & flukes is their biggest attraction. What do you see as the advantage to imparting action into these over just picking a bait with more inherent action? Or is just one of things that just works?

I think a scrounger will have the persistent vibration of a crankbait with the tantalizing attraction and triggering effects of your favorite plastic. A grub has a very subtle action, but in rough and stained water I think that a scrounger would enhance a grub. 

• Like 1

If you want a good quality Scrounger jig check out Xtreme Custom tackle.

The Scrounger jig collar does all the action you want. I have found that swimming tails like paddle tails are not as productive as straight tails used on Scrounger jigs.

Have about 30 years experience using Scrounger and the Sluggo tends to have the tight wiggle action bass prefer. 6" Sluggo works good on 1/2 to 3/4 oz Scoungers.

Scrounger will go through nearly any type of brush cover and rocky structure as long as you keep reeling steady. Cold water like we have now, cast the Scrounger parallel to deep ledges, let sink to whatever depth and retrieve letting it bounce off of rocks etc. if you feel a bump in lieu of a strike, reel faster instead of slowing down.

The Scrounger can be a big bass lure!

Tom

Im looking at getting some Sworming Hornet Fish heads. 

Those don't work either, lol. 

I imagine when A Jay and 00mod get back they might have something to add to this thread :)

I like them with boot tail swimbaits or fluke style baits. Very subtle action that drives them crazy at times. 

• Like 1

I always carry some.  Most often, I use them to recycle plastics that are too worn to stay on a worm hook bend.  I'll cut off the top 3/4 inch of a senko or Cut-R or Roboworm or fluke and put it on a scrounger head.  I haven't worked them enough to define presentations or patterns, but they certainly do catch fish.  I work them like a swim jig, popping them up and down subtly through the water column as I work them back to the boat.  Unlike most jigheaded rigs, they elicit hits while coming up or swimming horizontally as much as on the drop. 

Does anyone have more input specifically on the Sworming Hornet lure?