BMayer3

Yes Or No For Trap Hooks On Hudds

What is everyone's thought on this. I've heard a lot of people say they don't like to fish a trap hook and am wondering why. Just bought my first hudd yesterday and don't know if I wanna fish a trap hook or not but responses to this will help.

Fishing in cover or open water? What part of the water column are you fishing? Water clarity? Lots of factors. I would use it whenever I can get waway with it.

What size, 8"?

The Butch Brown modification helps tp prevent the Hudd to stay hooked into the basses mouth. The down side with Butch's nose treble hook is it tears the lure skin. The 8" Hudd has a belly hook hanger that you can add a treble or frog hook onto, if the bass tend to strike from under or behind the Hudd. You can also add a small round hobby magnet, super glued to the belly to hold the belly hook up against the Huud for frog hooks.

Bottom line, trap hooks help to keep bass hooked, they also increase snagging.

Tom

Southern trout eaters rig

If you are going to fish waters where there´s no snags by all mean use a trap hook, hell, it your Hudd looks like a porcupine it don´t matter. If you are going to fish snaggy waters well, that´s why the weedless versions are for.

I fish 68s, and don't use them anymore. Too snaggy.

• Like 1

No.

Kills fish.

Stock jig hook OR a BB-rigged small treble (size 1/2 for 8 inchers, size 2/4 for 6 inchers/ 68s) is plenty.

If I didn't make it clear, 8" OK to add a trap hook, 6*" & 68, no reason to add a trap hook.

Tom

* no reason to buy a 6", go with the 68.

The best way to BB rig them is with rare earth magnets and a frog hook. The bait doesn't get torn up that way and you don't need to keep adjusting the hook once your bait gets a little beat.

The only time I use a trap hook on a hud is around spotted bass and I am referring to the 8 inch. Spots tend to slap at swimbaits. Largemouth tend to eat them head first.

If I do trap hook a hudd I use 7 strand and rig it right behind the dorsal fin on top . Bottom trap hooks kill fish. Bought a 8" hudd 2nd hand and killed the first bass I hooked. She choked it and trap hook ripped her gills to pieces

You aren't going to need a trap hook 99% of the time.  I'd say 80% of the fish I have caught on the hudds have choked the bait.  I've had it where I've had to pull the back part of the bait out of their throat.....yeah they eat it when they want it.  So I wouldn't worry too much about the stinger hook unless like mentioned above, unless you're around spotted bass....which I don't get to fish around so no need for the stinger.  Smaller 6" baits, wouldn't even think of adding them.  I rig mine BB way but use a #1 or 1/0 size.