Sign in to follow this  
*Hootie

Old Lews Ad

Bassmaster magazine, March/April 1980

post-28623-0-24321100-1437763666_thumb.j

Hootie

• Like 1

Are you curating a display for the bass angling Smithsonian? Recently saw an episode of Pro Patterns Exposed with David Fritts where he talks about and flashes back to his original Lews reels, and some he still has and uses.

• Like 1

I just love looking over my old magazines and massive library, and antique baitcasting reel collection. Reminiscing about the old days. Makes me feel young again.

Hootie

• Like 2

Hootie you're only as old as you act. At least that's what my wife tells me when she says I'm acting like a 12 yr old.

• Like 1

That`s cool!

Those were the good Lews.  They weren't today's Chinese bubble pack throwaways you get at Wal Mart for $50.  They were well over $100 over 30 years ago. :wink2: .   They were built by Shimano.  I had one, it was excellent.  The late Bill Murphy stated it was the favorite baitcasting reel he ever had, in his book.  

those old Lews were the reels that trick-caster Shag Shahid used....I've never seen anyone who could cast like that guy.....saw him at the boat sport and travel show as a kid and he was amazing.....better than any pro i have watched. 

My grandpa owned the rod on the far right, he used it for catfishing and then he gave it to me.i use it occasionally for spinnerbaits but its mostly a conversational piece now

I fished them as a kid. Back then, the abu's were more popular but the lews were always nice with a smaller profile.. They were made by shimano and ryobi as I recall. And there my have been a third manufacturer..

They were nice in the day but no comparison to the Shimano's and Daiwa's I use today..

I like these also i found one in mint condition at a yard sale for 8$ looks like it was never used.

Cool ad. I owned several of those reels. Those were excellent reels. I still remember a good fishing buddy of mine and I would always go back and forth on which reel was better. He was a die hard ambassador guy and I fished Lew's and the Ryobi's that were similar to the Lew's.

Those where some awesome reels back then.  I was 8 years old when that add came out. 

Gotcha beat I was 8 months old!

I was what?? -10.

A twinkle in my dad's eye

:respect-059: