Sign in to follow this  
Bluebasser86

Tying A Skirt Onto A Punch Weight

I just bought the mold for punch weights and wondering if anyone has tried wire tying a skirt directly onto them like a regular jig? I was thinking maybe put a toothpick in the end and put that in the vice to hold it while tying or put a rag around it and put it in a regular vice just tight enough to hold it in place to tie? 

This is the mold I'm talking about.

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Slip-Jig-LurebrSz-18-316-14-38-12-916brHk-NAbrCollar-Ball_p_1003.html

I think the rag thing would be better than a tooth pick, if you pull like I do when I wire tie something.  My daughter bought me a bench vice at Grizzly in Spfld. that has rubber cushions on the jaws.  It really helps when skirting jigs.

• Like 1

I had to hand tie some of mine that had the rubber bands as they were sliding off.  No wire but 50lb PP seems to hold up pretty well after 10 wraps.....lol I would have preferred wire just didn't have any.

• Like 1

no need for a vice hold the top of the skirt over the weight and tie them on.  It will end up like this.

1391536016841-1316532029.jpeg

• Like 1

Could always use a small zip tie ~

A-Jay

• Like 3

Maybe no vice for you Mike but I'd for sure have to use one.

• Like 1

Those are the original punch skirt hubs!!! I have wire tied them and it works fine, I have also thread tied them by holding them in the vise. I purchased extra pull pins and held the pull pin in the vise with the slip jig on the pin and tie as you normally would.

• Like 1

Could always use a small zip tie ~

A-Jay

Nothing is faster or easier!

The zip ties I use has the tag end laying horizontal for those who think it willl hang in grass.

• Like 1

Well I decided to leave the weight on the pull pin and put the pin in the vice for the first try. Not the prettiest, but I'm going for functionality and I think it will be just fine in that department :)

20151128_102146_zps6xghlrd4.jpg

• Like 2