Sign in to follow this  
wheezit

Rod Sale Questions

I've been doing a lot of research on rods and reels as it's time for upgrades, and I've narrowed my choices down quite a bit. I was hoping maybe you guys would know where and when I might find these on sale/clearance or just the best price everyday. Between now and June I would like to have all the following bought:

Light Jig rod (spinning) - 7'0" MH f or xf

Shaky head, light t-rig (spinning) - 7'0" M f or xf

Heavy Jig rod (casting) - 7'0" MH xf

For the rods, I already own a 1.3. om.en. MLxf for dropshot. During my research, these caught my attention: Fenwick Aetos and Elite Tech, Shimano Crucial, BPS Carbonlite, St Croix Avid. My new rods will all be for contact fishing(I don't feel the need to upgrade other techniques yet) and so sensitivity is my number one concern. From my research, these are the rods that fit the bill(budget is 250 max for one rod, I'd prefer to stay under the 200/each). Warranty is also important to me. Feel free to recommend other comparable rods, as my main goal is to get the best price/performance. I do not have any brand loyalty, those are just the ones that grabbed my attention. Also, I'm indecisive on the MH or H for heavy jigging(I'll be in lily pads and thick brush, with up to 1oz. jigheads in shallow(<10 ft) water) - Let me know which you would choose.

For reels, I'll probably pair a Pflueger President with my shaky rod, a BPS pro qualifier on the casting jig rod, and a low quality one on the light jig rod. I'm much more concerned with rod choice than reel, I feel like I can adapt to the reel as long as its a comfy fit.

I will be able to hold in my hand this Thursday all 5 rods and balance them with the reels. Sorry if I left anything out, and thanks in advance.

I'd try looking at gander mountain or cabelas or bps. They are having online sales right now. Tackle warehouse is a good spot too.

I'll give you the advise I can have by regret purchases. Do not buy Shimano rods period, I've never been satisified with one.  BPS rods. I've had several but always prefered gander, cabelas, and even fenwick rods. 

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

As for your question on where to buy those rods on sale/clearance or just the best price everyday; I bet that all your research has shown that most of the reputable tackle retailers offer competitive pricing.  

Additionally, since you'll be able to physically check out, and presumably purchase these rods, look at all the money you'll save on shipping.

A-Jay

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fishinthefish said:

I'll give you the advise I can have by regret purchases. Do not buy Shimano rods period, I've never been satisified with one. BPS rods, I've had several but always prefered gander, cabelas, and even fenwick rods. 

I really liked the crucials I held at BPS, but I will keep your opinion in mind when comparing.

Also, in regards to sale, I guess a more specific question would be "There should be at least one major sale left before summer right?" regarding BPS, cabellas, Dicks, Academy, scheels, TW, gander, etc?

Moderator edit: Certain brands have been edited out.

-Kent  a.k.a. roadwarrior

Global Moderator

there will be some sales, but i find some of the best deals right here on the bassresource flea market page, monitor that frequently!

i would recommend the Dobyns Champion line of rods.  I just recently picked up my 3rd one and couldn't be happier.  Sensitive, light, well built and warranty/customer service is phenomenal.  they retail right in your price range, but can be found cheaper on sale at the right time.  i own a wide array of brands on rods and am generally happy with all of them, but the dobyns champion rods are just a little above the rest of my fleet....

The spring and memorial day sale is all thats usually left as far as big sales.

I had a chance to handle one of the rods  you mentioned, and it really struck me as a well-constructed rod...  Surprisingly so, given its price...  The Fenwick Elite Tech.  I was blown away by it, honestly...  Purely subjective, but I'll pick one up.

17 hours ago, Fishinthefish said:

I'll give you the advise I can have by regret purchases. Do not buy Shimano rods period, I've never been satisified with one.  BPS rods. I've had several but always prefered gander, cabelas, and even fenwick rods. 

What are your reasons for not being satisfied with Shimano rods?

For years I was a big Shimano guy, they had great products at reasonable prices. Honestly I feel like not only has the constructed wuality decreased greatly, but I feel like for the components that you're getting compared to other lesser brands you're paying for the name Shimano more than you're paying for the rod. I've held 130 dollar gander mountian elite series, and carbonlites from BPS I was more impressed with than more expensive Shimano rods these days.

On 1/5/2016 at 4:48 PM, wheezit said:

Also, in regards to sale, I guess a more specific question would be "There should be at least one major sale left before summer right?" regarding BPS, cabellas, Dicks, Academy, scheels, TW, gander, etc?

Yes.  Not sure how long it lasts but Dicks has a good sale going on right now.  A bunch of rods are on clearance.  On top of that the whole fishing section is 25% off and I've heard some stores are 50% off.  Just got a glass St. Croix Mojo Bass for $52.  It retails for $130-140 on tackle warehouse.  Although that was a good deal the selection wasn't great so they might not have what you specifically want, especially the higher end stuff.  Depending on how far of a drive it is for you I would definitely check it out.

• Like 1

. Just bought 6 rods on clearance at field & stream. About $550 worth of rod for $300.

The Bass Pro by me is having there end of season sale. I saw they still had quite a few Tatula rods by me. These rods are a little bit less expensive than the rods you just mentioned, but I guarantee that fish just as well, if not better. I don't know if you have a bass pro by you or if they would still have them in stock but it would be worth looking into. They are on sale from around $150 down to $100

Also, if you aren't planning on gettingn the rod right away, I would look at the spring classic sale at Bass Pro as well. I look forward to this event every year because they always have huge sale, including pretty much all of their brand items and many other top name brands as well

• Like 1

First off, thanks to everybody who responded and PM'd me.

Well, my first bit of shopping is done, I now have 3 new spinning rods. An aetos 6'8"mhxf spinning($120), an -unmentionable number with a bad feeling- 6'7" mlxf($60 at tw), and a scheels NOS Mxf(retail $150) I got on clearance for $40 - has anyone used one of these? So 220 total, I feel like all of them are a big upgrade from what I have and while I can definitely tell a difference in the feel of each, I don't have any idea which I'll like better when I actually fish them. I think I'll pull the trigger on another brand new aetos I can get for $105 even though it's a 6'7"mhf and I don't really need it. I just feel like its worth way more than that and I could put it to use. I personally love the skeleton reel seat and will be buying pflueger presidents specifically for them.

I also tried a PQ baitcaster from bps on a 7Hxf and 6'9" MHxf white carbonlite and I think I'll be buying 2 of the reels and rods when spring sale hits. It's the only reel I have found(correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't done as much research as I want to) that comes in both right and left hand retrieve for all gear ratios, and I really want left handed. I wanted to try the h2o mettle but they don't have LH.

That would give me 4 spinning and 2 bait casting that I would be very happy with to start the summer. I still want to try an avid, spinning or baitcast, but the cheapest I found them anywhere was 190-220 and I bought three rods for that.

Awesome community here, thanks again for all the help and opinions, I'm still looking for rods so if you come across good deals feel free to post them here, and I'll be lurking in the flea market for sure.

1 hour ago, wheezit said:

First off, thanks to everybody who responded and PM'd me.

Well, my first bit of shopping is done, I now have 3 new spinning rods. An aetos 6'8"mhxf spinning($120), an -unmentionable number with a bad feeling- 6'7" mlxf($60 at tw), and a scheels NOS Mxf(retail $150) I got on clearance for $40 - has anyone used one of these? So 220 total, I feel like all of them are a big upgrade from what I have and while I can definitely tell a difference in the feel of each, I don't have any idea which I'll like better when I actually fish them. I think I'll pull the trigger on another brand new aetos I can get for $105 even though it's a 6'7"mhf and I don't really need it. I just feel like its worth way more than that and I could put it to use. I personally love the skeleton reel seat and will be buying pflueger presidents specifically for them.

I also tried a PQ baitcaster from bps on a 7Hxf and 6'9" MHxf white carbonlite and I think I'll be buying 2 of the reels and rods when spring sale hits. It's the only reel I have found(correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't done as much research as I want to) that comes in both right and left hand retrieve for all gear ratios, and I really want left handed. I wanted to try the h2o mettle but they don't have LH.

That would give me 4 spinning and 2 bait casting that I would be very happy with to start the summer. I still want to try an avid, spinning or baitcast, but the cheapest I found them anywhere was 190-220 and I bought three rods for that.

Awesome community here, thanks again for all the help and opinions, I'm still looking for rods so if you come across good deals feel free to post them here, and I'll be lurking in the flea market for sure.

PM me if your looking for LH casting reels. I have a few. 

Personally, I think that a 7'0 MF Avid would cover the applications you stated for spinning in one rod. St. Croix's ratings are a bit understated, and I find that their medium is more of a medium heavy. No problems with sensitive, especially when paired with braid. Also recommend the Daiwa Tatula MH 7'0: quality components, sensitive, and lightweight (3.7 oz).

Original Poster - according to your information you live in Kansas City, your favorite lake is Lake Viking.   OK then,  go to Rogers in Liberty.  They sell several different levels of Fenwick & St. Croix and well as Loomis and Shimano and4 or 5 other brands who escape my memory right now.  They can hook you up with a decently priced rod.   They have pretty competent help as far as knowing their products and what not.    Especially, don't order any rod over the internet until you go to see what they have.  Rogers is where I've bought the majority of my gear over the years and they have treated me right, and been very helpful on warranty issues.  When I used to fish tournaments regionally, I stopped by lots of different tackle stores and seldom found one that was as well stocked and just generally helpful as Rogers.

If you feel like you must drive farther to get a good deal, Burtons in Smithville is good,  Everhardts in Clinton is good, Tombstone Tackle in Columbia is good - these are all smaller shops than Rogers is.  There is also a store in Olathe - Mondo Tackle - I went there once and they had an interesting blend of gear.   I don't remember how to get there as I was relying on my Garmin Nuvi that day - but you can look it up if you want to drive to Olathe.  They are the only place in the metro area and carries a selection of Dobyns rods.

• Like 1

Mondo Tackle in Olathe is great. If he doesn't carry something but it's a brand that he carries, Raymond will order it for you. Lots of stuff you won't find in any other stores in the area too. He'll almost always work out a deal with you too. 

PennBass: I'm not sure a MF will cover all techniques comfortably, no matter what brand or rod line. I am very interested in an Avid, but not at retail price when I can pick up an aetos for 105-120. 

Fishes in trees: I went to Rogers, I liked it. That's the only place that had the aetos, but they weren't willing to work on price so I bought online. I'll probably check out mondo's soon since I'm in south KC.