Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We have a pond that usually gets filled with a run off from another pond. However this year we dammed up a different area so the water no longer reaches this dam. 

Anyways this pond is now only about 2 feet deep and only about 30ft in area. It's really hard to catch bass in this shallow of water to move them to another dam. How would you fish a dam that is extremely shallow and has a mossy/muddy bottom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Topwaters would be my first choice, and my second a light spinnerbait with a big Colorado blade "bulged" across the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Topwaters would be my first choice, and my second a light spinnerbait with a big Colorado blade "bulged" across the surface.

Too cold for top water? I live in South Dakota 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the water temperature?  If it's over 50-55 degrees they should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

What is the water temperature?  If it's over 50-55 degrees they should work.

I would guess it's pretty warm since it's so shallow. I'll give it a shot. Early mornings ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the best times for Topwaters is early in the morning when the sun is starting to come up, and later on at dusk.  The morning bite is usually better than in the evening, I don't know why but that seems to be the way it is.  I would suggest something like a spook or a propbait worked very slowly.  Mossy bottoms are a pain to fish as even weedless lures get moss stuck to them and make your entire cast a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished a spinner bait and a weightless worm today to just see if there was fish still in there and I caught 3 really nice ones. I didn't have anything with me to transports the fish to another pond so I put them back it was so shallow you see their back sticking up for most of the pond. Definitely need to get them out of there before it's too late 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SDSOONER said:

I fished a spinner bait and a weightless worm today to just see if there was fish still in there and I caught 3 really nice ones. I didn't have anything with me to transports the fish to another pond so I put them back it was so shallow you see their back sticking up for most of the pond. Definitely need to get them out of there before it's too late 

If there backs are sticking out of the water, you are definitely going to have to get them out fast.  My guess is tomorrow will be your last chance to transfer them, after that I think they will quickly start dyeing off from lack of oxygen.  Good luck, I would probably use the entire day tomorrow to catch as many as possible if you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

If there backs are sticking out of the water, you are definitely going to have to get them out fast.  My guess is tomorrow will be your last chance to transfer them, after that I think they will quickly start dyeing off from lack of oxygen.  Good luck, I would probably use the entire day tomorrow to catch as many as possible if you can.

There's one spot that is deeper where you can't see the fish but I have Friday off so that's my plan is to save some fish 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Net them!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WRB said:

Net them!

^^^^This^^^^^ Get them out as soon as possible cause if the water is falling they probably won't be alive for much longer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unweighted Zoom Super Fluke or similar bait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try a shallow running crankbait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WRB said:

Net them!

You are dealing with a puddle not a pond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost impossible to net them because of how muddy it is. I'll take some pictures next time to show you exactly what I am dealing with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SDSOONER said:

It's almost impossible to net them because of how muddy it is. I'll take some pictures next time to show you exactly what I am dealing with.

Throw net or seine you don't need to see what you're after. I've used a throw net to help remove fish from a dying pond and it works pretty well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Throw net or seine you don't need to see what you're after. I've used a throw net to help remove fish from a dying pond and it works pretty well. 

Yup, my buddy and I netted & relocated a few sterile grass carp from below a dam where the culvert pipe spit out creating a tiny pool. They got stuck there during a massive flood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the seine or throw net approach.  You don't have time to fish them all out.  Get on some muck boots and take a buddy out there and seine them all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use a seine.  After a few passes through, you should get the majority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×