Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD46

Best Line Type For Wacky Worm / Stick Bait ?

For a dedicated wacky worm / stick bait set up - I'm torn between using straight Fluorocarbon line in #6 lb. to #8 lb. test OR #10 lb. Braid mainline with a Fluorocarbon leader in #6 lb. to #8 lb. test. What is your preference and experience between the two line type setups listed above  in water say less than 12 ft. ? Which line type  offers the most natural fall , presentation , etc. for a wacky rig worm / stick bait ? ...Thanks in advance for replies - I really want to get the most out of the set up and I know line type and size can make a big difference in a wacky rig presentation .

I like 8-10# fluorocarbon when fishing those type baits in relatively open water.

• Like 1

I use 20lb braid with a 10lb copolymer leader. 

• Like 2

My senko rod is the only one I have straight fluoro on.  In theory, the fluoro will give the bait a more natural fall because it sinks.  A lot of bites happen on the fall so the slack line sensitivity of fluoro helps you feel the subtle bites.

• Like 3

While I love braid it can tend to fail behind certain lures. When using a jerk bait the line will drift back while the lure is thrust forward. If I'm using a swimbait or a frog I will tie direct but for jerking lures I prefer florocarbon leader.

My senko set up I use nanofil. Casts better than braid fc. Those long casts, you can get with a senko100+', hooksets hook ups better than lower test fc. When Im dragging moving senko along bottom its the most sensitive live between the three types. Plus on the bottom more weeds to deal with and the no stretch makes it more efficient working the senko through those weeds.

I use plain old 8# Stren. It worked great yesterday. 

Hootie

20160601_075709.jpg

• Like 4

10# or 15# braid plus copoly leader 6-10#

I prefer 15# yellow slick8 power pro with around a 5-10' flouro leader normally. Its easier for me to see the yellow braid while line watching.  

I will change up the leader from 6-20# depending on water clarity and what im throwing the senko into. If im throwing into heavy junk or really rocky stuff i will go heavier for better abrasion resistance, clear water and spooky fish its lighter. Normally its a 10-12# leader. In dingy water or aggressive bites i will go straight braid as well. 

I use a high vis braid (15-20lb) with a 8lb fluoro leader (roughly 5'). I definitely recommend using a high vis braid, it will help you pick up on some lighter bites you may not feel

I use 8-10 flour because it makes it fall more naturally, and most importantly hasthe best sensitivity on a slack line. Braid seems to lack for me on a slack line 

• Like 1

Replies are running about 50 - 50 between straight FC line and Braid + FC Leader then a few "other" using mono  , co-poly or nanofil for wacky rig worms / senkos . I will add I'm throwing wacky rigs  in , open , clear water with rocky bottom (few weeds) . Since I have a a 2500 series spinning reel with #6 lb. straight FC line (drop shot) and the same 2500 series spinning reel with #10 lb. Braid + #7 lb. Sunline FC Sniper for a leader - I will swap these reels out on my Shimano wacky rig rod and seee how it goes ? Interesting - I thought there would be more of a decided preferance as to line type for wacky rig however it's  not that clear cut !

6lb diameter braid tied direct for me.  If you aren't a line watcher though you can miss some fish but i'll take the no stretch properties of braid any day for this technique.  I tend to throw weightless plastics into heavier cover and braid helps me get them out more quickly.

And one more thing to add, i don't throw wacky so mine are all weightless, weedless rigged.

Braid backing and 10lb Invisx for me.

1 hour ago, ChrisD46 said:

Replies are running about 50 - 50 between straight FC line and Braid + FC Leader then a few "other" using mono  , co-poly or nanofil for wacky rig worms / senkos . I will add I'm throwing wacky rigs  in , open , clear water with rocky bottom (few weeds) . Since I have a a 2500 series spinning reel with #6 lb. straight FC line (drop shot) and the same 2500 series spinning reel with #10 lb. Braid + #7 lb. Sunline FC Sniper for a leader - I will swap these reels out on my Shimano wacky rig rod and seee how it goes ? Interesting - I thought there would be more of a decided preferance as to line type for wacky rig however it's  not that clear cut !

Everyone has their opinions and preferences, but here's the takeaway:  they both work obviously because people are catching fish either way.  Try both and see what you like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, *Hootie said:

I use plain old 8# Stren. It worked great yesterday. 

Hootie

20160601_075709.jpg

Didn't realize Halloween was in JuneB)