ICAST 2016 Preview - Your Favorites ?

ChrisD46

• BassResource.com Administrator

Brett Hite on Daiwa Reels and Evergreen Baits

• BassResource.com Administrator

Doesn't it look like all these guys are singing?  Just sayin'

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super User

I spent a few hours one afternoon fishing the trd tube for smallmouth in a small river.  It seems to have more action then a TRD, but is lighter and doesn't cast or skip as well.  Action-wise, it looks much better when swam then the TRD, but not as much as a half zlinker it shortned Hula stick.  

It was durable and preformed well on the zman jigs, with a perfect fall rate on the 1/20oz one.  It faired less well on Gopher 1/16oz jigs, it didn't stay on well without glue.  

Where it really shined, was rigged weedlessly on An Owner 1/16oz-#1/0 Ultrahead bAll jig.   The solid head held the shank well and the hollow rear allows much much better hook sets then a TRD or other solid plastic.  The durability is also amazing rigged this way.  

The tentacels didn't have much action and stuck together until I lubed them up with scent.  While the plastic isn't nearly as absorbent as a older hall zlinker, the tentacels and hollow butt really help the scent last.   I am going to look into a more viscous scent to try and fill the hollow butt with it.  

All in all, I like it.  Right now 90% of my MWF fishing is done with half zlinkers and shortned Hula sticks.  I use the former for more swimming presentations and the latter for more more hop/drag ones.  I plan to fish the TRD Tube against the Hula stick to see if one or the other performs better. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Global Moderator
5 hours ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Has anybody had any experience, good or bad, with pfluegar's president baitcasting reel or the stutter step?

I posted my review on the stutter step on another thread.

The President has really wowed me so far. It's been a lot like the spinning version so far, feels like a solid workhorse that is probably worth more than they're charging. Obviously only time will tell if it has the durability of the spinning version, but I'm pretty confident it will prove itself worthy there too in time. 

On 7/10/2016 at 8:09 AM, IndianaFinesse said:

My I-cast wish of a ned rig do-it mold came true:)!  

Have you heard or seen anything more about this? I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this mold but I-Cast is the last I've heard about it. Makes me wonder if Z-Man is fighting them on producing it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I posted my review on the stutter step on another thread.

The President has really wowed me so far. It's been a lot like the spinning version so far, feels like a solid workhorse that is probably worth more than they're charging. Obviously only time will tell if it has the durability of the spinning version, but I'm pretty confident it will prove itself worthy there too in time. 

Have you heard or seen anything more about this? I'm anxiously awaiting the release of this mold but I-Cast is the last I've heard about it. Makes me wonder if Z-Man is fighting them on producing it. 

Thanks, I have not heard anything on the ned rigging mold.  If I see anything about it I'll let you know, I sure hope they do end up putting it on the market.

On 10/1/2016 at 1:42 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

have you used a current model Supreme baitcaster?  if so how would you compare it to the new president baitcaster?  I've been really happy with my Supreme and can usually find them well below MSRP

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, Allen Der said:

have you used a current model Supreme baitcaster?  if so how would you compare it to the new president baitcaster?  I've been really happy with my Supreme and can usually find them well below MSRP

Yes, I have a Supreme and Supreme XT. I like the President better than the Supreme but not ready to say it's as good as the XT yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Yes, I have a Supreme and Supreme XT. I like the President better than the Supreme but not ready to say it's as good as the XT yet.

Can it cast as light of lures as a reel with centrifugal brakes?  Is it very easy to palm, i prefer a low profile reel for walking baits and jerkbaits?

• Global Moderator
13 minutes ago, IndianaFinesse said:

Can it cast as light of lures as a reel with centrifugal brakes?  Is it very easy to palm, i prefer a low profile reel for walking baits and jerkbaits?

I know it can cast a 90 Whopper Plopper out of sight but I haven't used anything super light. I have no doubt that it will handle light baits without issues. It's nice and compact, very easy to palm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Global Moderator
On 10/1/2016 at 7:52 PM, IndianaFinesse said:

Thanks, I have not heard anything on the ned rigging mold.  If I see anything about it I'll let you know, I sure hope they do end up putting it on the market.

It's here!

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Midwest-Finesse-JigbrSz-116-332-18-532-316-14brHk-Owner-5313brCollar-Wire-Holder_p_1255.html

Mine should be here next week. Have to admit, pretty disappointed that they didn't make it with the traditional Ned Rig jighead weights. Seems like they're trying to cash in on the rush and didn't do much homework on it. I was hoping for a mold with 1/20, 1/16, and 3/32, maybe 2 cavities of each. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, I just won't have any use for this mold and anything above 1/8oz most likely. 

• Like 1

• Super User
On 10/2/2016 at 8:47 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

Is there any word on whether or when a lefty version of the President will come out?

13 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

It's here!

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Midwest-Finesse-JigbrSz-116-332-18-532-316-14brHk-Owner-5313brCollar-Wire-Holder_p_1255.html

Mine should be here next week. Have to admit, pretty disappointed that they didn't make it with the traditional Ned Rig jighead weights. Seems like they're trying to cash in on the rush and didn't do much homework on it. I was hoping for a mold with 1/20, 1/16, and 3/32, maybe 2 cavities of each. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, I just won't have any use for this mold and anything above 1/8oz most likely. 

I was also hoping for and expecting one with smaller weight sizes than 1/16 ounce, something like two cavities for 1/32 oz, 1/20 oz. and two or three cavities for the 1/16 ounce mold.  Not sure why you would ever use a 1/4 ounce ned rig jig head, or for that matter anything over 3/32 ounce seems overkill to me.  At least it has few more choices and the option for a wire keeper.  Thanks for the heads up on it being for sale though, I might just get it anyways.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, MIbassyaker said:

Is there any word on whether or when a lefty version of the President will come out?

I haven't heard anything on it. It's really a shame that companies don't release lefties at the same time. It can't be that hard to switch the handle side. I think it's going to be worth the wait for the lefties once they're released though.