Jump to content
Travis Gasper

Whopper Plopper saved the day!

Recommended Posts

Yesterday morning I was throwing a mix of wacky rig senkos and frogs, and for the first hour I had no bites. (I woke up at 5:30am for this!?) Eventually they started hitting the wacky rig on and off for a couple hours. Then for over an hour I got zero bites. I debated taking a nap in my boat, but remembered I had bought a Whopper Plopper a month ago and never used it. So I tied it onto my new Lew's Mach 1 baitcaster and sure enough, second cast out, bam! A couple casts later, another one! After 30 minutes of pure amazement, I had caught 10 bass on the Plopper! At one point, I even had a bass go after the bait while it was in the mouth of the one I was reeling up to the boat! Two bass on one bait would have been amazing. Anyways, just figured I'd confirm the hype is real for anyone on the fence about trying out the Whopper Plopper.... go get one, or two!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What size did you buy? 

I had a similar experience with a Storm Arashi Top Walker 13 last week where it was slow until I decided to try a new bait.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the 90 size in I Know It color. Probably going to pick up another in the larger size too. Don't you just love when it works out like that?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish that was my experience! I can't get anything to bite on much of anything, and I couldn't even get fish that were busting the surface to hit my WP. I know that it's a good bait I just haven't put it in the right place at the right time yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, j bab said:

Wish that was my experience! I can't get anything to bite on much of anything, and I couldn't even get fish that were busting the surface to hit my WP. I know that it's a good bait I just haven't put it in the right place at the right time yet.

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't get a bite on it after that 30 minutes of craziness. I'll still be throwing it every time I go out now though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had luck the other morning throwing it along the edge of weeds with a straight retrieve reeeeeeeaaaly slow. Rod tip high with the 90 size yellow head.

I swear I'm gonna buy a 130 size one of these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

I had luck the other morning throwing it along the edge of weeds with a straight retrieve reeeeeeeaaaly slow. Rod tip high with the 90 size yellow head.

I swear I'm gonna buy a 130 size one of these days.

I couldn't resist, I had to order a 130 size in Loon color today. Personally, if a bait catches me good bass, I don't care what the price is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I hear ya there. I just want to be sure it's in the budget and I'm waiting for some cooler shadier Massachusetts mornings to even be able to throw it. I work third shift so it's a matter of going right after work or waiting until Sundays to fish.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

Oh, I hear ya there. I just want to be sure it's in the budget and I'm waiting for some cooler shadier Massachusetts mornings to even be able to throw it. I work third shift so it's a matter of going right after work or waiting until Sundays to fish.

Don't wait! You'd be surprised how effective it can be in "non-deal" conditions. I do like throwing the 130 in a little bit (or a lotta bit) of wind though. Middle of the afternoon, morning, doesn't matter. Actually the only time I haven't had success on it, is the time everyone seems to love topwaters....evening into night. Go figure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

Don't wait! You'd be surprised how effective it can be in "non-deal" conditions. I do like throwing the 130 in a little bit (or a lotta bit) of wind though. Middle of the afternoon, morning, doesn't matter. Actually the only time I haven't had success on it, is the time everyone seems to love topwaters....evening into night. Go figure. 

I like the 130 in the heavy wind too. Very effective in my part of Mass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys care to recommend a color for the 130, excluding loon? I'm leaning towards perch but just minutes after checking out the color selection on TW I have already forgotten them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

Would you guys care to recommend a color for the 130, excluding loon? I'm leaning towards perch but just minutes after checking out the color selection on TW I have already forgotten them all.

My 130 is a perch!  I want the loon in 130 now. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

Would you guys care to recommend a color for the 130, excluding loon? I'm leaning towards perch but just minutes after checking out the color selection on TW I have already forgotten them all.

When I was buying the 130 I was debating between Loon and Phantom Shad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Torn Thumb said:

Would you guys care to recommend a color for the 130, excluding loon? I'm leaning towards perch but just minutes after checking out the color selection on TW I have already forgotten them all.

I have the perch and the loon, all my fish have been on the perch though, only recently got the loon with the intention of using it at night. Haven't given it a fair shot yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks WMB. The other day when I got one near the pads it was about 9 a.m. and bright and hot. I have total faith in it working in non-ideal conditions and would have proof but I managed to throw it across the pond and off my line. No more leaving my rods in the car for the summer! I spent a half hour walking around the pond and using a spook to try and catch my plopper back. Finally got it back by burning a senko across the top on a giant screwlok gamakatsu.

Side Note: Imagine how bummed I was to drive to NH (3.5 hours) to find out that the only color available at BPS in the 90 size was Yellow Head. I was going there already for my vacation but what a disappointment that Hooksett store is. Great town to put a BPS just based on name but I might avoid stopping there in the future. Selection sucks and grumpy old stockers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Torn Thumb said:

Thanks WMB. The other day when I got one near the pads it was about 9 a.m. and bright and hot. I have total faith in it working in non-ideal conditions and would have proof but I managed to throw it across the pond and off my line. No more leaving my rods in the car for the summer! I spent a half hour walking around the pond and using a spook to try and catch my plopper back. Finally got it back by burning a senko across the top on a giant screwlok gamakatsu.

Hey aleast you got it back bud!  Honestly, I think I would go swimming for mine if and when it happens..  Good luck with your selection and with the rest of your season.  Tight lines,  Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Torn Thumb said:

Side Note: Imagine how bummed I was to drive to NH (3.5 hours) to find out that the only color available at BPS in the 90 size was Yellow Head. I was going there already for my vacation but what a disappointment that Hooksett store is. Great town to put a BPS just based on name but I might avoid stopping there in the future. Selection sucks and grumpy old stockers.

I have been to the Hooksett BPS too as it's the closest to me being up here in Vermont and the last time I was there about 3 weeks ago or so I too was disappointed. They were out of a lot of stuff, lot's of empty pegs and for any of the more popular lures (like the WP)...forget it. I was speaking to one of the staff (younger kid with dark hair) about it and he said that some of the depleted selection had to do with New Hampshire's new "no lead" law that required BPS to box up and send out a bunch of their stock to stores in other States as they could no longer sell it because it was against the law. Too bad, it used to be a decent store. Now i wait and get most of my stuff from Cabelas out in Hamburg, PA when I visit my Dad. Now that is a store...250,000 square feet of Outdoor awesomeness :love-088:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought perch and bone flavored 90's and managed only one pickerel so far at Ponkapog (Canton) and the Charles River (Needham).  The pickerel cut the line when it jumped out of the water.  Luckily it spit the Plopper too. 

I haven't found the Plopper mojo yet.... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i love the 90 but i feel like im spooking the fish when tossing out the 130  when hits the water. im debating on returning the other 130 in monkey butt. 

when throwing out the 130 do any of yall let it sit  and calm everything down before the retrieve?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had any problems with their WP? more specifically, problems with the tail spinning when retrieving it after a long cast? I've only thrown this bait at night, in the loon color, so is it possible it is spinning and I just can hear it plopping? Regardless, the WP has caught me several fish at night, especially when throwing down weed lines. I like to keep a black wacky rig on standby for any fish that miss the plopper, and this 1, 2 combo seems to be killer right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dreadhead47 said:

Has anyone had any problems with their WP? more specifically, problems with the tail spinning when retrieving it after a long cast? I've only thrown this bait at night, in the loon color, so is it possible it is spinning and I just can hear it plopping? Regardless, the WP has caught me several fish at night, especially when throwing down weed lines. I like to keep a black wacky rig on standby for any fish that miss the plopper, and this 1, 2 combo seems to be killer right now.

I found keeping the rod tip up helped get the best action out of it. I was using 17lb mono, but maybe braid would be better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried out my WP 90 for the first time this weekend. I have the Blue Blood version but Perch is on it's way :). Any how, I too find that keeping the rod tip up a bit helps with the "motorboat" action. I didn't catch much...two pickerel...but had a couple of strong hits where it was user error that i got too excited and went for the hook set too early before the fish had it in his mouth good...guess the splash of the fish attacking it got to me...lol. I fished it on a spinning setup with 15lb braid. I do have the 130 size in Loon (with Bone on it's way) but have yet to fish with it as I just got a big enough spinning reel to handle that size lure and haven't gotten it spooled up yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Travis Gasper said:

I found keeping the rod tip up helped get the best action out of it. I was using 17lb mono, but maybe braid would be better? 

I fish from a kayak and since I've been night fishing I haven't really stood up in it yet. So I'll try to stand up when fishing it to see if the extra elevation will help. I have been using 50lb power pro, but it's pretty old braid, so idk if that would also poorly affect the action. Thanks for the tip!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Brett's_daddy said:

I tried out my WP 90 for the first time this weekend. I have the Blue Blood version but Perch is on it's way :). Any how, I too find that keeping the rod tip up a bit helps with the "motorboat" action. I didn't catch much...two pickerel...but had a couple of strong hits where it was user error that i got too excited and went for the hook set too early before the fish had it in his mouth good...guess the splash of the fish attacking it got to me...lol. I fished it on a spinning setup with 15lb braid. I do have the 130 size in Loon (with Bone on it's way) but have yet to fish with it as I just got a big enough spinning reel to handle that size lure and haven't gotten it spooled up yet.

I didn't really do much of a hookset to be honest. I was doing a steady retrieve and they'd just come up and slam it. If they missed, I let it sit for a split second then popped it. Seemed to work really well for me, at least that day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm glad you guys are seeing action with the WP. I picked up 2 90's(Monkey Butt, Rainbow)  about a month ago, with not a hit in site haha .. running them on 6'6 Shimano Sojurn M/H fast action and Stradic4000 FK lined woth 10# PP. This thing makes quite a splash first thing in the morning!   Sporadic retrieves (fast, slow, jerk ,pop/pause) to no avail! my temps may be a tad high for top waters right now 85+

runs very well though, i like the lure action ...seems irresistible , can't wait for a fish to agree with me

congrats on a great day!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×